Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can I tell you how excited I am?!

Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
Hi everyone! I'm so happy to be a new member of this site. I've been reading through posts and viewing pictures for a couple of weeks now, and it's been a tremendous source of inspiration and knowledge. Let me share a little info about myself.I'm 27, a current resident of Atlanta, GA, hailing from a tiny town in central Arkansas. I came to Georgia for college and ended up sticking around. About three months ago I began a new career with an NGO and started living the life I've been dreaming about for years. I had been working in law firms for about five years before that, so it's a major change.I've always been very conservative with my hair. Naturally curly, I only cut it short twice in my life. Once at 8, not my choice, I had an extended illness and was unable to wash my hair. My hair knotted up (it was my first dread!), and neither my mom nor I had the patience to untangle it. So she cut my hair above my shoulders, and it was a traumatic experience. So I grew it out, only trimming now and again, until my 24th birthday, when I cut it above shoulder length again. I never permed it, only dyed it once (with a temporary 6 week dye), and only use flat irons for really special occasions around once a year.I think my hair has wanted to be locked up my entire life. I've fought it with combs and detanglers and conditioners and products, and you know what? I'm tired of fighting! I want my hair to be free and natural and lovely. So about a month ago I had my friend braid my hair (also the first time for that) so it would already be sectioned off when I was ready to dread. I've really enjoyed the braids, but I knew it was time to move on to locking.Thanks to this website and the sage knowledge of my friend, I knew that wax was a severe no-no. I decided to go the TnR route and started that process earlier this week. I currently have seven little baby locks, and hopefully by then end of this weekend, all 60 braids will have transitioned to newborn dreads. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all and sharing our journeys! I've posted a few pics on my profile of my curls, my braids, and my few new babies. Namaste!
updated by @dragonfly: 02/15/15 07:12:03AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Welcome! Your excitement is palpable! Glad to have you here...you are about to embark on something amazing! You will find great advice and guidance and make lots of friends along the way...enjoy every minute of it! Namaste!
Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
Thank you for the warm welcome! Panterra Caraway said:
Welcome! Your excitement is palpable! Glad to have you here...you are about to embark on something amazing! You will find great advice and guidance and make lots of friends along the way...enjoy every minute of it! Namaste!
ashley ✿
@ashley
14 years ago
167 posts
woo! Welcome to the site!! How excited you are is awesome, I was quite excited when I started, and let me tell you something, that excitement only grows when you find a loop or something, it's really amazing, I hope your journey is full of love, light, and wonderful things, as all peoples should..
Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
Thank you! I think that's a big part of my excitement - the unknown. The way I've maintained my hair over the years, I've always known what it would look like. It always looked the same! Now my hair gets to have fun and dance all over the place and surprise me daily! Henna Ash said:
woo! Welcome to the site!! How excited you are is awesome, I was quite excited when I started, and let me tell you something, that excitement only grows when you find a loop or something, it's really amazing, I hope your journey is full of love, light, and wonderful things, as all peoples should..
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
haha awesome yay for dancing hair ;)ok im going to go look at pics :)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wow if u woulda dreaded since u were 8 imagine how y6oud look now!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
Maybe kinda like you, eh? :)
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
Cool. this is a great place I love the diversity and I think you will like it too the people are awesome. You work for a NGO if you don't mind me asking what kind of work does one do for an NGO?I am just very curious so forgive my inquisitiveness and I won't take offence if you do not want to answer.
Dragonfly
@dragonfly
14 years ago
47 posts
I'm sorry, I sometimes use NGO and Non-Profit interchangeably, although that's really not the case. I work for a non-profit that focuses on human rights in the United States, although we do some work with international persons and communities as well. It is very rewarding. I love inquisitive people, so please, ask away! :)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form