Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

is nioxin shampoo good for dreads?

Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
hello everyone, I have been using "nioxin cleanser for fine hair" and Ive been wondering if this brand is good for dreads. someone told me that this is the best shampoo for dreads and I want to know if they lied to me. do any of you know anything about this brand?
updated by @joe-muir: 02/14/15 10:08:42AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
who the hell told u that?ive never heard of anyone using it for dreads and i wouldnt think its any good

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
Nioxin IngredientsThe Nioxin line consists of three products, Nioxin Cleanser, Nioxin Scalp Therapy, and Nioxin Scalp Treatment.Ingredients in Nioxin Cleanser:* Water* TEA-Lauryl Sulfate* Sodium Laureth Sulfate* Cocamidopropyl Betaine* Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride* Cocamide MEA* Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey* Silk Amino Acids* Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride* Stearyl Dihydroxypropyldimonium Oligosaccharides* Panthenol* PEG-150 Distearate* Glycol Stearate* Mentha Piperita* Polysorbate-60* Polysorbate-80* Camellia Oleifera* Foeniculum Vulgare* Olea Europaea* Panax Ginseng* Pinus Pumilio* Polygonum Multiflorum* Vitis Vinifera* Wasabia Japonica* Lactobacillius/Eridictyon Californicum* Hydrolyzed Algin* Acetyl Cysteine* Acetyl Glutamine* Alanine* Asparagine* Aspartic Acid* Histidine* Ornithine Glutarate* Ethoxydiglycol* Coenzyme A* Coenzyme B5* Coenzyme B6* Coenzyme B12* Coenzyme Biotin* Coenzyme Folate* Coenzyme Nicotinate* Coenzyme Q6-10* Coenzyme R* Coenzyme Thiamine* Phenylalanine* Tyrosine* Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment* Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment* Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment* Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment* Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment* Simmondsia Chinensis* Aleurites Moluccana* Citric Acid* Propylene Glycol* Sodium Chloride* Diazolidinyl Urea* Methylparaben* Propylparaben* Parfum/FragranceIngredients in Nioxin Scalp Therapy:* Water* Stearyl Alcohol* Cetrimonium Bromide* Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride* Dimethicone* Amodimethicone* Trideceth-12* Cetrimonium Chloride* Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey* Behentrimonium Methosulfate* Cetearyl Alcohol* Quaternium-91* Cetrimonium Methosulfate* Dicetyldimonium Chloride* Silk Amino Acids* Mentha Piperita* Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride* Panthenol* Stearyl Dihydroxypropyldimonium Oligosaccharides* Soyaethyl Morpholinium Ethosulfate* Simmondsia Chinensis* Aleurites Moluccana* Polysorbate-60* Polysorbate-80* Camellia Oleifera* Foeniculum Vulgare* Olea Europaea* Panax Ginseng* Pinus Pumilio* Polygonum Multiflorum* Vitis Vinifera* Wasabia Japonica* Lactobacillius/Eridictyon Californicum* Hydrolyzed Algin* Acetyl Cysteine* Acetyl Glutamine* Alanine* Asparagine* Aspartic Acid* Histidine* Ornithine Glutarate* Ethoxydiglycol* Coenzyme A* Coenzyme B5* Coenzyme B6* Coenzyme B12* Coenzyme Biotin* Coenzyme Folate* Coenzyme Nicotinate* Coenzyme Q6-10* Coenzyme R* Coenzyme Thiamine* Phenylalanine* Tyrosine* Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment* Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment* Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment* Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment* Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment* Citric Acid* Propylene Glycol* Diazolidinyl Urea* Methylparaben* Propylparaben* Parfum/FragranceIngredients in Nioxin Scalp Treatment:* Water* Silk Amino Acids* Soyaethyl Morpholinium Ethosulfate* Acetamide MEA* Aleurites Moluccana* Polysorbate-20* Amodimethicone* Trideceth-12* Cetrimonium Chloride* Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride* Polysorbate-60* Polysorbate-80* Panthenol* Propylene Glycol* Camellia Oleifera* Foeniculum Vulgare* Mentha Piperita* Olea Europaea* Panax Ginseng* Pinus Pumilio* Polygonum Multiflorum* Prunus Africana* Vitis Vinifera* Wasabia Japonica* Lactobacillius/Eridictyon Californicum* Hydrolyzed Algin* Acetyl Cysteine* Acetyl Glutamine* Alanine* Asparagine* Aspartic Acid* Histidine* Ornithine Glutarate* Ethoxydiglycol* Coenzyme A* Coenzyme B5* Coenzyme B6* Coenzyme B12* Coenzyme Biotin* Coenzyme Folate* Coenzyme Nicotinate* Coenzyme Q6-10* Coenzyme R* Coenzyme Thiamine* Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment* Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment* Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment* Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment* Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment* Superoxide Dismutase* Rosmarinus Officinalis* Citric Acid* Diazolidinyl Urea* Methylparaben* Propylparaben* Methyl Nicotinate* Parfum/FragrancePlease Note: Friends of the Earth, Health Care Without Harm, the Environmental Working Group and the Breast Cancer Fund have formed a coalition in an effort to convince the cosmetics industry to stop using certain chemicals in everyday consumer products, chemicals known or suspected of causing cancer, birth defects and other negative health effects. The sodium laurel sulfate in Nioxin is on that list of products.Nioxin FeedbackSubj: Should I discontinue using Nioxin?Date: 2/8/2008This product was introduced at one salon. I bought the shampoo and scalp therapy at another salon. I have a sensitive scalp and did experience itchy and flaky conditions. This has happened with a lot of products, even with Head and Shoulders. I think even using worse products has influenced my hair loss over the past number of years. However, should I discontinue using Nioxin if I still have buildup on my scalp and the skin is inflamed with flakes? I also have used a mild Neutrogena shampoo, which seems to soothe the skin.MattAskDocWeb: We do not recommend Nioxin because one if their ingredients is on the consumer list of products and chemicals known to be commonly contaminated by 1,4-dioxane, a known cause of cancer in animals and a probable human carcinogen. (Source: Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment) The problem here is that, in the U.S., contaminants are not required to be listed as an ingredient on the product label. To read more about this problem, see The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.Subj: 10 year old daughter?Date: 1/9/2009I have been using the Nioxin treatment on my 10 year old daughter for 7 months. I never knew that using this product can cause cancer? I'm a licensed cosmotologist and would like to know the ingredient that is dangerous. Is there anything that you can recommend for a child with alopecia totalis. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely,LizAskDocWeb: We suggest you try to find the cause of her hair loss by getting her examined by a dermatologist and then go with their recommendation.Subj: Skin turned purpleDate: 5/22/2009I have used the #4 for thinning hair. I have used the product twice, and once I have had my skin on my for head, and then my fingers turn purple...I feel that this is a reaction to nioxin...but I can not figure out what would cause this reaction. Thanks,MauAskDocWeb: If you don't wear gloves to protect your hands while applying Nioxin, you may have developed a condition known as Purpura, which makes the skin appear purple. This condition results from blood vessels leaking blood into the tissues just under the skin. Purpuras can also occur in conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, liver disease, viral infection, or a blood condition called Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP).Subj: Should I continue?Date: 6/19/2009I have been taking the Nioxin Pills for about a month and I want to know if I should continue to use them? Do they also cause Cancer, Birth Defects etc.?JackyAskDocWeb: The use of chemicals known or suspected of causing cancer and birth defects is a personal choice. It is a little like smoking, although it is still legal to smoke, it is not encouraged.Subj: My dermatologist recommended I discontinueDate: 7/21/2009I've been using all 3 therapy Nioxin products for 4 weeks. I developed contact dermatitus on my shoulders, neck and chest which I think is caused by washing my hair in the shower. My rash continued to worsen especially after sun exposure. My dermatologist recommended I discontinue use.CYSubj: Cancer?Date: 9/15/2009I find it interesting that you are saying that Nioxin causes cancer, yet right below your articles you have direct links to coupons and sale specials for the product!!! ? I have been losing my hair for a while now...I have been using it and have had no problems...however also no improvement:( I was really looking foward to your answer to Liz' statement...yet you TOTALLY avoided it?!!! What is in this product that causes cancer and which product would you recommend??? I find it so interesting that at the two nearby cancer treatment centers there is a rumor that this product is really helping patients regain their hair!!! I would really like to know the TRUTH!!!AnnaAskDocWeb: First, thank you for letting us know that Nioxin didn't work for you. The ads you see at the bottom of the page are served by Google and we do not control what ads show there. They are clearly marked by the words "Ads by Google."We are not saying that Nioxin causes cancer, consumer protection groups are saying that one or more of the ingredients in it is known or suspected of causing cancer. In looking at that long list of ingredients the first one that draws attention is Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Several consumer protection groups have identified this as being a harmful ingredient because it is often contaminated with 1,4-dioxane. Toxicology research by the OSHA, NTP, and IARC supports the conclusions of the Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association (CTFA) and the American Cancer Society that pure Sodium Laureth Sulfate is not a carcinogen. The objection arises because Sodium Laureth Sulfate and products containing it have been found to contain low levels of 1,4-dioxane. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency considers 1,4-dioxane to be a probable human carcinogen because of the observed increased incidence of cancer in controlled animal studies. Although the U.S. Food and Drug Administration encourages manufacturers to remove 1,4-dioxane, it is not required by federal law. The manufacturer of the Nioxin product line has not made it clear if 1,4-dioxane is removed from their product or not.thats from drs web

--
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
it was a stylist. she recomended it for dreads, it thickens the hair. it says it removes residue, and I havnt had any trouble with it. im just curious
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Well judging by the ingredient(and there are a lot) I don't really think it's good for dreads. You want something residue free and this doesn't seem to be it http://www.askdocweb.com/nioxin.html
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
if you gotta wear gloves to keep it from burtsting blood vessels id say no to using itthe ingrediebnts are like a chemical soup..there aint no way id touch thaty crap i wouldnt even want it in the house and id dispose if it as if its a biohazzard

--
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
sweet jesus. im gonna stop that now soaringeagle said:
Nioxin Ingredients
The Nioxin line consists of three products, Nioxin Cleanser, Nioxin Scalp Therapy, and Nioxin Scalp Treatment.

Ingredients in Nioxin Cleanser:

* Water
* TEA-Lauryl Sulfate
* Sodium Laureth Sulfate
* Cocamidopropyl Betaine
* Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride
* Cocamide MEA
* Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey
* Silk Amino Acids
* Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride
* Stearyl Dihydroxypropyldimonium Oligosaccharides
* Panthenol
* PEG-150 Distearate
* Glycol Stearate
* Mentha Piperita
* Polysorbate-60
* Polysorbate-80
* Camellia Oleifera
* Foeniculum Vulgare
* Olea Europaea
* Panax Ginseng
* Pinus Pumilio
* Polygonum Multiflorum
* Vitis Vinifera
* Wasabia Japonica
* Lactobacillius/Eridictyon Californicum
* Hydrolyzed Algin
* Acetyl Cysteine
* Acetyl Glutamine
* Alanine
* Asparagine
* Aspartic Acid
* Histidine
* Ornithine Glutarate
* Ethoxydiglycol
* Coenzyme A
* Coenzyme B5
* Coenzyme B6
* Coenzyme B12
* Coenzyme Biotin
* Coenzyme Folate
* Coenzyme Nicotinate
* Coenzyme Q6-10
* Coenzyme R
* Coenzyme Thiamine
* Phenylalanine
* Tyrosine
* Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment
* Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment
* Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment
* Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment
* Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment
* Simmondsia Chinensis
* Aleurites Moluccana
* Citric Acid
* Propylene Glycol
* Sodium Chloride
* Diazolidinyl Urea
* Methylparaben
* Propylparaben
* Parfum/Fragrance

Ingredients in Nioxin Scalp Therapy:

* Water
* Stearyl Alcohol
* Cetrimonium Bromide
* Dimethicone
* Amodimethicone
* Trideceth-12
* Cetrimonium Chloride
* Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey
* Behentrimonium Methosulfate
* Cetearyl Alcohol
* Quaternium-91
* Cetrimonium Methosulfate
* Dicetyldimonium Chloride
* Silk Amino Acids
* Mentha Piperita
* Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride
* Panthenol
* Stearyl Dihydroxypropyldimonium Oligosaccharides
* Soyaethyl Morpholinium Ethosulfate
* Simmondsia Chinensis
* Aleurites Moluccana
* Polysorbate-60
* Polysorbate-80
* Camellia Oleifera
* Foeniculum Vulgare
* Olea Europaea
* Panax Ginseng
* Pinus Pumilio
* Polygonum Multiflorum
* Vitis Vinifera
* Wasabia Japonica
* Hydrolyzed Algin
* Acetyl Cysteine
* Acetyl Glutamine
* Alanine
* Asparagine
* Aspartic Acid
* Histidine
* Ornithine Glutarate
* Ethoxydiglycol
* Coenzyme A
* Coenzyme B5
* Coenzyme B6
* Coenzyme B12
* Coenzyme Biotin
* Coenzyme Folate
* Coenzyme Nicotinate
* Coenzyme Q6-10
* Coenzyme R
* Coenzyme Thiamine
* Phenylalanine
* Tyrosine
* Citric Acid
* Propylene Glycol
* Diazolidinyl Urea
* Methylparaben
* Propylparaben
* Parfum/Fragrance

Ingredients in Nioxin Scalp Treatment:

* Water
* Silk Amino Acids
* Soyaethyl Morpholinium Ethosulfate
* Acetamide MEA
* Aleurites Moluccana
* Polysorbate-20
* Amodimethicone
* Trideceth-12
* Cetrimonium Chloride
* Polysorbate-60
* Polysorbate-80
* Panthenol
* Propylene Glycol
* Camellia Oleifera
* Foeniculum Vulgare
* Mentha Piperita
* Olea Europaea
* Panax Ginseng
* Pinus Pumilio
* Polygonum Multiflorum
* Prunus Africana
* Vitis Vinifera
* Wasabia Japonica
* Hydrolyzed Algin
* Acetyl Cysteine
* Acetyl Glutamine
* Alanine
* Asparagine
* Aspartic Acid
* Histidine
* Ornithine Glutarate
* Ethoxydiglycol
* Coenzyme A
* Coenzyme B5
* Coenzyme B6
* Coenzyme B12
* Coenzyme Biotin
* Coenzyme Folate
* Coenzyme Nicotinate
* Coenzyme Q6-10
* Coenzyme R
* Coenzyme Thiamine
* Superoxide Dismutase
* Rosmarinus Officinalis
* Citric Acid
* Diazolidinyl Urea
* Methylparaben
* Propylparaben
* Methyl Nicotinate
* Parfum/Fragrance

Please Note: Friends of the Earth, Health Care Without Harm, the Environmental Working Group and the Breast Cancer Fund have formed a coalition in an effort to convince the cosmetics industry to stop using certain chemicals in everyday consumer products, chemicals known or suspected of causing cancer, birth defects and other negative health effects. The sodium laurel sulfate in Nioxin is on that list of products.

Nioxin Feedback
Subj: Should I discontinue using Nioxin?
Date: 2/8/2008
This product was introduced at one salon. I bought the shampoo and scalp therapy at another salon. I have a sensitive scalp and did experience itchy and flaky conditions. This has happened with a lot of products, even with Head and Shoulders. I think even using worse products has influenced my hair loss over the past number of years. However, should I discontinue using Nioxin if I still have buildup on my scalp and the skin is inflamed with flakes? I also have used a mild Neutrogena shampoo, which seems to soothe the skin.
Matt

AskDocWeb: We do not recommend Nioxin because one if their ingredients is on the consumer list of products and chemicals known to be commonly contaminated by 1,4-dioxane, a known cause of cancer in animals and a probable human carcinogen. (Source: Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment) The problem here is that, in the U.S., contaminants are not required to be listed as an ingredient on the product label. To read more about this problem, see The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.

Subj: 10 year old daughter?
Date: 1/9/2009
I have been using the Nioxin treatment on my 10 year old daughter for 7 months. I never knew that using this product can cause cancer? I'm a licensed cosmotologist and would like to know the ingredient that is dangerous. Is there anything that you can recommend for a child with alopecia totalis. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely,
Liz

AskDocWeb: We suggest you try to find the cause of her hair loss by getting her examined by a dermatologist and then go with their recommendation.

Subj: Skin turned purple
Date: 5/22/2009
I have used the #4 for thinning hair. I have used the product twice, and once I have had my skin on my for head, and then my fingers turn purple...I feel that this is a reaction to nioxin...but I can not figure out what would cause this reaction. Thanks,
Mau

AskDocWeb: If you don't wear gloves to protect your hands while applying Nioxin, you may have developed a condition known as Purpura, which makes the skin appear purple. This condition results from blood vessels leaking blood into the tissues just under the skin. Purpuras can also occur in conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, liver disease, viral infection, or a blood condition called Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP).

Subj: Should I continue?
Date: 6/19/2009
I have been taking the Nioxin Pills for about a month and I want to know if I should continue to use them? Do they also cause Cancer, Birth Defects etc.?
Jacky

AskDocWeb: The use of chemicals known or suspected of causing cancer and birth defects is a personal choice. It is a little like smoking, although it is still legal to smoke, it is not encouraged.

Subj: My dermatologist recommended I discontinue
Date: 7/21/2009
I've been using all 3 therapy Nioxin products for 4 weeks. I developed contact dermatitus on my shoulders, neck and chest which I think is caused by washing my hair in the shower. My rash continued to worsen especially after sun exposure. My dermatologist recommended I discontinue use.
CY

Subj: Cancer?
Date: 9/15/2009
I find it interesting that you are saying that Nioxin causes cancer, yet right below your articles you have direct links to coupons and sale specials for the product!!! ? I have been losing my hair for a while now...I have been using it and have had no problems...however also no improvement:( I was really looking foward to your answer to Liz' statement...yet you TOTALLY avoided it?!!! What is in this product that causes cancer and which product would you recommend??? I find it so interesting that at the two nearby cancer treatment centers there is a rumor that this product is really helping patients regain their hair!!! I would really like to know the TRUTH!!!
Anna

AskDocWeb: First, thank you for letting us know that Nioxin didn't work for you. The ads you see at the bottom of the page are served by Google and we do not control what ads show there. They are clearly marked by the words "Ads by Google."

We are not saying that Nioxin causes cancer, consumer protection groups are saying that one or more of the ingredients in it is known or suspected of causing cancer. In looking at that long list of ingredients the first one that draws attention is Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Several consumer protection groups have identified this as being a harmful ingredient because it is often contaminated with 1,4-dioxane. Toxicology research by the OSHA, NTP, and IARC supports the conclusions of the Cosmetic, Toiletry, and Fragrance Association (CTFA) and the American Cancer Society that pure Sodium Laureth Sulfate is not a carcinogen. The objection arises because Sodium Laureth Sulfate and products containing it have been found to contain low levels of 1,4-dioxane. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency considers 1,4-dioxane to be a probable human carcinogen because of the observed increased incidence of cancer in controlled animal studies. Although the U.S. Food and Drug Administration encourages manufacturers to remove 1,4-dioxane, it is not required by federal law. The manufacturer of the Nioxin product line has not made it clear if 1,4-dioxane is removed from their product or not.

thats from drs web
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
well thank you. Ive only used it about 4 times. im done with it soaringeagle said:
if you gotta wear gloves to keep it from burtsting blood vessels id say no to using it
the ingrediebnts are like a chemical soup..
there aint no way id touch thaty crap i wouldnt even want it in the house and id dispose if it as if its a biohazzard
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
can I pick up dr. bronners from a regular store or is it at a vitamin/natural store?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
a stylist recomended it is enough to avoid ittbey are clueless aboit dreadsdr b u can get online or alot of better stores or health food stores someone said target has it too

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form