Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Adding thread to new dreads- good or bad?

Westcoaster
@westcoaster
14 years ago
81 posts
I have heard that adding thread (or anything tight and restricting) to new dreads can cause "dead spots" where the dreads weaken so it is best to wait until they are happy, healthy and mature. Any comments on this? What have people experienced with adding thread, beads, etc?
updated by @westcoaster: 02/04/18 01:47:50AM
cassie gabriel
@cassie-gabriel
14 years ago
80 posts
my friend that has had them longer then me said she did that when her dreds wernt matue enough yet and left indents in it. you should prolly wait like 3 weeks for them to mature a little more and get more harder, not as soft.
Westcoaster
@westcoaster
14 years ago
81 posts
Okay, then my next question would be, I crocheted my dreads and they are as tight as they will ever be. Should I be expecting them to loosen up and then tighten again? Or is there just a period of adjustment and I should just patiently wait it out and see, lol. cassie gabriel said:
my friend that has had them longer then me said she did that when her dreds wernt matue enough yet and left indents in it. you should prolly wait like 3 weeks for them to mature a little more and get more harder, not as soft.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it takes longer then 3 weeks to mature..lol they loosen for 1st month or more b4 tighteningoki started several of mine with beads or wraps on undreaded straight hair it did leave an indent but who cares?thread if u mean a wrap will leave the wrapped part unusualy thin and much thicker rootsif u mean wrapping just in a thin band well that can cause a weak spotbeads should fit snug but not really squishingu can add em anytime but they can cause a "seat" indented area where they love if tighter then the thickness of the dread after it thickenssince u crocheted and are trying to recover i would wait cause crochet makes dreads way thinner then they should be, so as they recover they will puff out to twice the thicknessthat would cause a huge indent

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
cassie gabriel
@cassie-gabriel
14 years ago
80 posts
did u crochet urs? Lisa McRae said:
You crocheted? They will come undone after a few months (2 for me) So they are definitly not "as tight as they're going to be" I'd wait on it :)
Westcoaster
@westcoaster
14 years ago
81 posts
So to what extent did they come out? Lisa McRae said:
Sure did, although I stopped doing everything once I realized how much damage there was. They are looking better with every day.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
I've wrapped mine before, and I think it's a good idea.You don't have too many pictures posted, Westcoaster, but judging from your profile pic, I'd say you'd be alright to wrap them.However, you have consider what and how.I've used all kinds of stuff to wrap mine, embroidery thread, twine, hemp, cotton yarn, cotton string; but I strongly suggest you using 'wool yarn'. The wool yarn is good for the same reasons that a wool tam is good, the wool helps build up static electricity as it rub against things, this static will help the hair inside your dreads move around a bit better, and movement equals knotting.However! (again lol)Don't wrap your dreads too tightly. The idea of wraps are to promote and guide the dreading process, if you bind all the hair together tightly, then it can't move around to knot up, and your just going to delay the process and cause those terrifying weak spots.How tight is too tight? Good question, glad I asked, lol.Wrap the yarn around your finger. Too tightly will make the tip of your digit pool blood, swell, and throb. Too loosely and the yarn will just fall right off. You've got to find that middle ground where it's 'snug'. Tight enough to stay on, but loose enough that you could grab the whole wrap and pull your dread right outa there (with a bit of wiggling and working it of course).I had a horrible time trying to find 100% wool yarn around here, until I went to a craft store. It was like the Holy Grail of wool yarn selection!!! I got so excited I bought 7 or 8 skeens, knowing that I'd only need 1, lol. But there's tons of colors and what-not, so go wild sister.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Lol so you just sutured it up!!!
Jemma
@jemma
14 years ago
24 posts
I'm intrigued, I have wool roving but no idea how to make my own yarn from it! please tell :) if it's any easier than making felt without a felting needle then i'm well up for making me some! Sister Rags said:
Yep. I recommend wool (if you can get wool roving, you can make the wool yarn yourself and it's very soft) or hemp string.

updated by @jemma: 07/09/15 11:08:47PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well no dreadings more like macreme knottingfelting is complete destruction turning strong wool into weak feltnow some ppl felt dreads then they fall offbecause felting breaks every hair/fiber into tiny peices

kat said:
wool is just like hair and so it is great for dreading, dreading is essentially felting:)

Alden said:
I've wrapped mine before, and I think it's a good idea.
You don't have too many pictures posted, Westcoaster, but judging from your profile pic, I'd say you'd be alright to wrap them.
However, you have consider what and how.
I've used all kinds of stuff to wrap mine, embroidery thread, twine, hemp, cotton yarn, cotton string; but I strongly suggest you using 'wool yarn'. The wool yarn is good for the same reasons that a wool tam is good, the wool helps build up static electricity as it rub against things, this static will help the hair inside your dreads move around a bit better, and movement equals knotting.
However! (again lol)
Don't wrap your dreads too tightly. The idea of wraps are to promote and guide the dreading process, if you bind all the hair together tightly, then it can't move around to knot up, and your just going to delay the process and cause those terrifying weak spots.
How tight is too tight? Good question, glad I asked, lol.
Wrap the yarn around your finger. Too tightly will make the tip of your digit pool blood, swell, and throb. Too loosely and the yarn will just fall right off. You've got to find that middle ground where it's 'snug'. Tight enough to stay on, but loose enough that you could grab the whole wrap and pull your dread right outa there (with a bit of wiggling and working it of course).
I had a horrible time trying to find 100% wool yarn around here, until I went to a craft store. It was like the Holy Grail of wool yarn selection!!! I got so excited I bought 7 or 8 skeens, knowing that I'd only need 1, lol. But there's tons of colors and what-not, so go wild sister.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form