Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Working in a really dirty environment

nif0073
@nif0073
3 years ago
3 posts

So I have been lurking for a while and finally decided to join the group and post a question I have. I've been growing out my hair for a while now to start my dreadlock journey, but I've been kind of held back because of the work that I do. I currently work in a stain, lacquer and paint shop, where I am in a booth all day painting doors and staining wood packages. I have to wear a respirator all day which goes over the top of my head but my biggest concern is that even with a bandana over my hair I still get a lot of paint dust and over spray in my hair. Especially along the hairline. So I have to wash my hair pretty thoroughly every day. This makes me think that it's probably a bad idea to start my dreads if I'm not going to be able to keep the paint and stain out of my hair. Does anyone have any experience in this department and if so, what do you do to keep your hair clean. Any help would be appreciated. 

updated by @nif0073: 02/12/24 11:56:53AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
29,640 posts

That sounds like a unhealthy environment to work in as I bet that’s not great on the skin either. You can try something that’s more of a barrier then the rather porous bandana. 

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
nif0073
@nif0073
3 years ago
3 posts
Haha yeah its a pretty rough work environment. Fast paced, lots of chemicals and always filthy dirty. I don't see myself being there forever but I'm already 2 years in and it is a good company to work for. I was thinking I might just have to wait and just keep growing my hair out until I get into a different company doing what I actually want to do. Do you have any recommendations on different coverings to try out? We do have head socks at work but they get so dang hot and partially cover your face also.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
29,640 posts

They might be better though what is it you want to do?

--
nif0073
@nif0073
3 years ago
3 posts
I'm trying to get into the electricians union, but I have to get my driver's license straightened out before I can do that.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
29,640 posts

There’s going to be a massive need very soon so ..work on that license 

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
3 years ago
29,640 posts

And let it dread while you do

--
BKStantForW
@bkstantforw
3 months ago
3 posts

I've also worked on this, and I would definitely use a bandana or a ski mask on winter. You could get rash on your skin with too much paint dust. Generally masks are enough because inhaling this is by far the worst for your health, your hair will be your least damaged over this process (although it could get impregnated which is not ideal).

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form