Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Threat around roots??? And dying advice?

Scarlexy
@alexandreabivens
6 years ago
3 posts

I'm 11 mo in on my dreads. I have had then crocheted twice (nearest place is 8 hours)

So, w/o crochet hook (which yes, I have some, but I rarely used due to it hurts my bad wrist) but that's kinda all I know... Root rubbing. .  I've given myself friction burns and nada.

We'll, idk when, 2 mo or so, I tried root flipping. Did each 2x (some 3, but one horizontal, one vertical) and my over processed hair broke around the outsides of a buncha dreads on the top and around the edges of my head

I can't stand this frizzy, messy, a KY mess. 

I have hair thread, I recall reading about tying around the roots to keep em separate and a bit neater while time does it's thingthing with the short hairs to integrate... BUT

Is this good idea? HTH does one ever remove it??

I wear a silicone wrap for 2 days and it doesn't want to come off... 

Or does the string stay and just becomes part of the dread?

Also, I've not processed my hair in.... 9.5 months.... My natural hair color is scaring me. 

But so is broken hair..... 

It's "bleached" out, then color over it. My roots are dark. I think mud is the color. Ashy mud.

I'm usually some form of red head. 

Is a basic bottle of color with (20 or 30) developer fine?

I've considered henna, but no clue. 

It'll take at LEAST 4 bottles of color.  I've not seen my natural color since 1992, and I've dyed it every color over the years. (would take 2 bottles if not dreaded. 60 dreads,most are shoulder blade/bra strap length)

Thank you! 

updated by @alexandreabivens: 08/29/18 11:56:37AM
dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

a natural hair threat (cotton, wool, yarn, hemp etc) around the root sections is way better than using rubber bands or silicone wraps, because they can get sucked into the dreads or damage the roots and thinning out your hair. If you hate frizz, which is part of getting locks you should never crochet, it breaks hair and makes even more frizz that way. Leave them alone or wrapping them is a way more healthy method.

Also please stop root flipping or interlocking, it is very damaging, too, not even palm rolling is any good for the process. Wash at least weekly and separate, that's all you need to do.

updated by @dread-stpauli: 06/29/18 03:23:58AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

stop everything your doing! let them heal accept the frizz it will always be there but you made it 100 times worse with the evil hook

it will improbve however it will just take time

the shampoo recommended is the best the liquid will help the roots dread up

but you cant have dreads without frizz the thing is its less noticible to others then it is to you..you look at them too closely and too criticaly

do what I do... use shadows not mirrors in a shadow you can see a dread sticking out weird and rearrange it but cant see every lil hair

I never look in a mirror unless I got a bad sunburn or something in my eye..never to look at my hair 

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

and this is what bleach does to hair

bleached.jpg

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags