dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Greetings! I want to start dreads

Peace Shalom
@peace-shalom
6 years ago
44 posts

Hello everyone! 

I just joined so I could ask questions and participate in the dread community. I am 32 years old and have never had dreads but I have been wanting them for a long time. What's held me back so far is the social pressures of parents spouse friends etc. I also have an office job that I need to appear professional. I currently have about 4 inch long hair on top and short on the sides. I want to look good for work and have good sectioning but I want my hair to be healthy and not damage it by going to a salon or whatever. My hair is very very fine/thin strawberry blonde. Light wavy curls. I main concern is how to keep growing my hair out and start to not comb it if I have to go to work everyday. Right now I comb it all over to one side and back. I'm terrified of how to go to work without coming my hair. If you have any tips, I'd appreciate it. I will keep browsing the site for answers too. Thank you!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

1st

read this https://www.dreadlockssite.com/dreadlocks-forums/forum/dreads-jobs-employment-issues/110594/dreadlocks-and-employement-laws-your-rights-to-wear-dreads-in-the-workplace-explained

next search the site for 'letter to employers" i wrote a few i think

as long as you tell the employer what you want todo and why there shouldn't be a problem

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Peace Shalom
@peace-shalom
6 years ago
44 posts
Hi SE, Thanks for the reply!
Alright...I read through that info you linked to.
Basically, I just have to do it, and go for it - all natural organic dreads, as part of my sincere religious beliefs.
Okay, this brings up a question in that regard. Do I have to tell them what my religion is specifically? Or can I just say to people that I keep the full extent of my religious information confidential.

I feel like this is a safe place with non judgmental people for the most part so I'm willing to say it here though. My religion is I'm a Karaite Jew, which not a lot of people know about, and it probably will open up a bigger Pandora's box, to discuss at work so I'd rather not say it there, if I don't have to. Not a lot of people respect other people and a lot of people stereotype people they haven't even gotten to know. But now that I think about it, wearing dreadlocks is probably unavoidably going to draw people to ask me personal questions so it's probably innevitable, huh? I digress.

Okay, so what's the next step? Do I need to wait for my hair to get to 6 inches before I stop combing it? I recall reading elsewhere dreads won't even form naturally until 6 inches long or more, is that true? But I've been thinking, should I start to try to get comfortable wearing a headband or something now, so as the dreads start to come in it's a gradual adjustment? I work at a desk and am dealing with computer screens and paperwork (I work for a fruit company) so I don't think I want it in my face and such. I guess I had better mention I am a male, and want my attire to be manly. How do you section your dreads without a salon loctictian so that they will be good for life? Seems like a guessing game and risky. Okay, I have said enough for now. I'm ready to listen now :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

as a jew simply state that you have taken the nazarite vow. you don't have to say what kind of jew or even that you are jewish, just that "i have decided according to my biblical beliefs to take the next step and take the nazarite vow'  however if that is the case you should also follow the diet as prescribed by the vow. simple vegan diet no meats and no 'fruite of the vine' (grapes wine etc)  

however, as is stated in the law, yor personal beliefs do not need to be  those of an organized religion. or even a common practice of yours. example a buddhist might dread as a way of letting go of attachments to vanity. despite the fact its not common practice for most Buddhists to do this.

in fact, your 'sincerlely held belief' can be something that you alone believe. as long as you sincerely believe it.

"mankinds greatest downfall is its separation from nature and our natural selves. therefore i choose to live as natural as i can.. you could even use that 1 to defend working naked haha

but being jewish the nazarite vow is pretty much the ultimate dedication to your faith. 

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

you don't need to wait for 6 inches some start at shaved heads but will just be messy till it gets longer

it sections itself typically in the 1st week

only thing is you'll have to separate so they dont form too big or grow together, unless you feel religiously bound not to

sincerely held beliefs are a personal thing.. you may be asked what your belief is  but they cant ask for proof you believe it (like a letter from a religious leader) 

however they have he right to scrutinize your behavior  so if you do use he vow as justification then eat hamburgers  at work that doesn't reflect well on your commitment to the vow

so yur best just explaining what you truly believe it could be as simple a "i fel they bring me closer to god' and thats it nothing more

--
Peace Shalom
@peace-shalom
6 years ago
44 posts

I am aware of the Nazarite vow. Not sure I am ready to take it completely at this moment in my life as it is very serious. It probably won't hurt to adopt more and more of the Nazarite lifestyle though, and the hair is one of those things. Its One step closer. I already am a vegan now, but I do enjoy grapes and wine, and beer and strong drinks like Vodka, Whiskey, and Rum. So cutting out the alcohol is really the only other thing, which I'm not completely opposed to, I just not quite ready yet. I do like what you said though - I do feel it brings me closer to God. Today I didn't comb my hair, I just washed the roots in the shower, and pat-dried my head with a towel. It looked pretty good, sorta curly and stylish; my sister actually said she liked it. It's a strange feeling to be able to start to see my hair again without using a mirror. Haven't had my hair this long since I was a kid.

updated by @peace-shalom: 07/20/18 01:20:05PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

its funny when you start  letting your hair dread naturaly  as it gets messy and wild you get so many compliments  oh how beautiful your hair is etc  but the second they realize they are starting to dread, or the intention is to dread  some of the praise turns to instant negativity the exact same beautiful hairs now a unkempt rats nest

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form