Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

I took out a lot of my dreads at the back

Jess2
@jess2
4 years ago
29 posts

So I have been dreading my hair with the natural method for just over a year and 9 months. I have always been very aware of a parting line that went down the back left side of my head where my dreads split and it always really bothered me. I thought maybe it would go away with time but in fact it got worse. I'm not sure why this happened. I thought maybe it was because I over-separated at the beginning of my journey because I was a little unsure of what size they would end up/where they would fall etc. I had tried joining some together, separating others but alas the parting line was still as there as ever.

So a few days ago I had had enough and decided to brush out the top back section of my hair and a little of the back of the sides. I still have a good few dreads on the sides of my head and the bottom of the back. The only thing that concerns me is that my hair is very thin where I have brushed them out and there are still several parting lines that are pretty crazy looking on the back of my head when I move my hair around. Maybe it is just because my hair has trained itself like this because of where my dreads were. Maybe it is the tension of separating and the hair naturally pulling which has made my hair go a little thin. I am now leaving the hair to dread again and am planning on not touching it too much as I think the separating was a big issue before. I don't really know why I'm posting this here I guess I just want to let you know about this part of my journey and maybe see if anyone has had a similar experience and also if anyone has any tips to prevent this happening again. Do you think my hair will thicken up again? Do you think if I just leave it to completely do its own thing again and don't over separate that my dreads will fall nicer at the back?

And so you know I'm not over exaggerating the line came half way down my head and made me look like I was going bald. You can kind of see it in some of my progress photos though I always tried to cover it for photos and it also got worse recently. If I can't get this to improve I would maybe consider not even dreading the back of my hair because I really didn't like it.

Gahh so much writing sorry haha. Any comments or whatever is appreciated :) Cheers guys and love n light!!


updated by @jess2: 01/13/15 09:55:24PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
4 years ago
1,302 posts

hey Jess, do you think that maybe, just maybe you always had the line that came half way down your head, but you just never noticed it with straight hair because it covered it up. That could be a possibility......did you ever have an accident as a kid, maybe it is a scar that does not grow hair? Maybe that is your Harry Potter scar, who knows.

You must have lost some hair combing out those dread sections, so yes, they will fill in again, I am sure some of the hairs are broken too, but that's okay, they will grow. I hope the line is not obvious the second time around....good luck....love and light back atch...........peace

Jess2
@jess2
4 years ago
29 posts

I'm 99% sure it was never there before. Unfortunately even now I can still see a a couple of them with my hair brushed and I never remember that from before dreads. Even my mum thinks its odd. I have moved my parting a little too so that its more to the middle so hopefully that will also help second time around! Thanks for the help lady *-*

the Barrellady said:

hey Jess, do you think that maybe, just maybe you always had the line that came half way down your head, but you just never noticed it with straight hair because it covered it up. That could be a possibility......did you ever have an accident as a kid, maybe it is a scar that does not grow hair? Maybe that is your Harry Potter scar, who knows.

You must have lost some hair combing out those dread sections, so yes, they will fill in again, I am sure some of the hairs are broken too, but that's okay, they will grow. I hope the line is not obvious the second time around....good luck....love and light back atch...........peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
4 years ago
1,302 posts

That's really interesting, I have not heard of that happening before, not to say it hasn't. Have you palm rolled at all? Ask Soaring Eagle and Baba Fats what that could have been caused by so it won't happen again to you....peace Jess

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,923 posts

you were very aware of a line ....on the back of your head..and it bothered you enough to take out dreads?

how are you so aware of whats hifddwen on the back of your head and why did it bother you so much

i have no clue what the back of my head looks like

ive never seen it

ever

well

when i was 8 maybe i used 2 mirrors to get a distorted view of what it resemblesd

but since then ive nevber been able to see around the earth and see the back of my head

nor have my eyes popped out and fallin on my pillow to get a peek

even if i had eyes on the back of my head they look pit not in

so how is it possible xsomething u should never see is such a pain to you




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Jess2
@jess2
4 years ago
29 posts

People have commented on it, and not in a nasty way just close friends and my mum have asked if the dreads have pulled some of my hair out causing a bald spot and I wasnt happy with them. I had messed around with them so much at the start of my journey that I had always been unhappy with their size and placement as it wasnt natural and I'm actually glad to have taken some out as it feels a lot better on the back of my head!

Plus now I have a chance to start fresh and I hope my hair can repair itself at the same time. I'm not just bothered about the appearance I'm just worried that what I had done had and was continuing to cause damage. This is something that has gone on for my whole journey and was not a hasty decision. I had tried many things and failed and this was my only other option apart from continuing what has to have been damage as it was never like that before. I have learnt from my mistakes and it feels right to start over with the back section. The line at the back of my head is very unnatural and I don't want to damage my hair with my dreads I want them to help the health of my hair and I'm hoping now they will get the chance to do that without interruption.

I've never palm rolled or used anything in or on my dreads I think it was simply just over-separating. Was just wondering if it had happened to anyone else and if there were any ideas why it happened and how I can prevent it from happening again. Thanks for your input!

soaring eagle said:

you were very aware of a line ....on the back of your head..and it bothered you enough to take out dreads?

how are you so aware of whats hifddwen on the back of your head and why did it bother you so much

i have no clue what the back of my head looks like

ive never seen it

ever

well

when i was 8 maybe i used 2 mirrors to get a distorted view of what it resemblesd

but since then ive nevber been able to see around the earth and see the back of my head

nor have my eyes popped out and fallin on my pillow to get a peek

even if i had eyes on the back of my head they look pit not in

so how is it possible xsomething u should never see is such a pain to you

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
4 years ago
27,923 posts

ah ok got ya and im sure letting it section naturaly they will come oit awesome

but be weary of w3hat others say about them they may over exagerate




--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Jess2
@jess2
4 years ago
29 posts

I'm definitely hoping the natural sections will make a difference! Will post some updates along the way :) just all a part of the twists and turns of this crazy but wonderful journey!

soaring eagle said:

ah ok got ya and im sure letting it section naturaly they will come oit awesome

but be weary of w3hat others say about them they may over exagerate

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form