Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Bug's Dreadline (aka plee for moral support) UPDATE 7/10/13: 1 YEAR PIC & VID - pic in first post.

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

That is amazing progress for only 4 months considering the length and texture of your hair! Are you separating? That will prevent any super dreads from taking over. I think you're hair looks awesome, those kinks and squiggles are normal and yes they'll calm down but not for quite a while. You still have to deal with shrinkage too. I would bet over the next couple months (maybe even weeks) you'll start shrinking up. Then it's just a matter of time until all the kinks and stuff kind of blend it and are not as noticeable.

updated by @mons: 07/03/15 06:30:54AM
Bug
@bug
12 years ago
43 posts

yeah, i didn't pay attention about a month back and three dreads i really didn't want together got friendly and became one of those squiggles. By the time i caught it, there was no return, i've been keeping much better eye on them since making sure the baby dreads that are firmly set don't eat up too many of there smaller neighbors. with all the squiggles going on i've notice shrinkage that way. I started with 23 almost 24 inches figuring when it was all said and done i'd have dreads to right around or just pass my shoulders. and i came in planning on at lest a full year before they look like dreadlocks but with having to wear it most of the day in a bun i wasn't sure if i was slowing things way down, and i ended up going natural for various reasons one being my fine texture hair wouldn't' hold the TnR i tried and because i heard natural does the lest damage and shrinkage. I think i just wasn't expect the kinks to be as wide and flat as they are now and was freaking a little. and hey i here a lot of people dreading for the first time have a few moment of freak out along the way lol. thanks Mons ya helped ease my mind! :)

~Bug

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

No problem! Those flat bits will round out as well. But that's in the far future as well lol. Having your hair pulled back will slow progress. But if you're able to let it fly free when you're not at work, perfect. Oh, congrats on the job! From what I remember it was a bit of a struggle finding one? I'm glad you got hooked up with one!

Bug
@bug
12 years ago
43 posts

Thank you! Yes was a heck of a battle finding a place. i won't say it's fun because, hey, it's work. but it's not gonna be a job i completely hate, i'm challenged and get a sense of accomplishment and job well done by the end of the day. It pays well, and the company actually takes good care of it's employees so i'm set!

Eventually when the dreads get too thick to bun i'll have to figure out a way of keep them up and controlled They have no problem with dread and i told them right in my interview i was deadlocking my hair so they know. But we can't wear loose sleeves, jewellery or hoop earrings for safety and long hair has to be kept up and out of the way for the same reason, i'm working in close around running drills so i can see why!

and yeah as soon as i clock out at 5pm the bun comes out. i do wear the bandanna when i go into town once in awhile and stocking hats now it's getting into winter, but other wise my dreads get from 5pm to 5am Monday through Thursday and from noon Friday through the weekend down and free.

~Bug

Sweet,
@sweet
12 years ago
133 posts

WOW Bug your really doing it, is this right up till now?

Your really good at adding pics of your progress.

Bug
@bug
12 years ago
43 posts

Thanks! The pic was on my four month mark, the 9th of every month. so now I'm over 4 and a half. Some of the dreads are starting to actually dread up above the crazy whirls. My niece and i went i named about 5 of them lol. i still have a lot of loos silky hair yet and the new job is gonna slow down my progress i think.

Also i was still get that dirty unwashed smell at my roots and scalp only a day or two in. I think a lot of it is we use a wood furnace and dad likes to load it up before bed so the house is hot at night and i probably end up sweating a bit in my sleep (i also have two wiener dogs that sleep on the bed with me and they are definitely furry four-legged furnaces!!)

I have came up with a solution, it's not ideal but it seems to work. I only wash my hair once a week with this natural soap i bought locally. it has Shea butter in which i know isn't great but for once a week it doesn't seem to harm anything and it has a great pine smell to it i love. on the rest of the days i have mixed up my essential oils (tea tree, rosemary, citronella) in with my sea salt spray. i wet down my hair int he shower, spray that on, put ti up in a clip, finishing shower, then rise it out give my scalp and good scratching with my nails to get rid of the white gunk build up i get. i know the hard water is probably alto fo my problem.

the BS doesn't seem to work, just left my hair feeling like it had a film on it, and would actually harden right out of the shower. the straight sea salt/rise daily and soap once a week seems to be working to keep my hair clean and soft, with little to no build up or smell. And i have a tiny bottle of just water and oils I'll mist over my hair in in the morning to freshen it up. I'm sure it's slowing down the loose hairs from locking up, but the daily salt baths hasn't undone anything so i'll just figure on more of a year and half timeline versus a year. so far so good. *fingers crossed*

~Bug

Bug
@bug
11 years ago
43 posts

Ok finally got months 5 and 6 up. plus i posted a link to a video i put up on youtube to better show off my baby dreads and also get some questions out. i'l post the link again here.

my progress feels like it's came to a screeching halt the last couple of month since i've gotten a job. I feel like i should be further along then i am. *sighs* just gotta keep telling myself it may take longer (2 years instead of 1) but i'll get there eventually and it'll be worth it when i got a head full of awesomely beautiful locks.

Bug
@bug
11 years ago
43 posts

OK latest update and photos of the last few months. at this point i've resigned myself to being one of those "slow" dreading fine hair folks. so i've gone to looking at 1 year as the half way point. i still have loose hair along the hair line for maybe 5 to 7 more dreads, i have as of now 33 official teenage dreads (long gangly stage). They are hard and flat so far. i'm hoping in the coming months they will puff up and round out. *fingers crossed* either way i'm determined. i waited 7 years growing my hair out and getting to a place where i could start my journey... i'm not gonna give up now. :)

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Oh wow, your dreads are amazing, unique, loopy and beautiful. I want them :P lol. Wow. Love them!

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

So awesome, bug! Your journey is very similar to mine. Slow and from the bottom up. I didn't really reach dread maturity until recently at about 2 1/2 years but it was worth the wait:)

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form