Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Bug's Dreadline (aka plee for moral support) UPDATE 7/10/13: 1 YEAR PIC & VID - pic in first post.

Sweet,
@sweet
12 years ago
133 posts

I just use sunlight soap and have no problems, just rinse out really well by using the balls of your fingers on the roots going back and forth real quick and that wont interfere with the dreading process. If you do a second wash the rinsing of the soap will be able to be patted into the length of your hair to wash it well and interfere less :)

Your progress is looking every bit as it should - doing so well considering all the obstacles your going through. Even though its not the way you wanted to go - its by far the more natural way and what real dreading is all about. You'll always be able to say that you took no short cuts ;)

updated by @sweet: 07/13/15 03:11:45PM
Bug
@bug
12 years ago
43 posts

Newest update! wasn't gonna post a pic till 4 month but i was pleased with my progress. i got lots of loops and waves. not much to write home about compared to some of the other 3 months pics on here but now that i have a job i do have to wear my hair in a bun for work so i think my progress is fairly good then.

still having troubles with flimy grim on my scalp after a day or two. and having stinky 'unwashed' smell after a couple of days. but i'm still waiting on my essential oils. was thinking of buying some chamomile tea int he store and brewing ti up and putting it in a spray bottle between washings while i'm waiting. if the deadlock shampoo bars weren't so darn pricey i'd would have gotten them but i'd have to order online and it was just too much when i'm trying to convince my folks that deadlocks are actually very cheap and low maintenance. between Dr. Bronner's and baking soda and bottles and essential oils as it is, my mom isn't convinced... *rolls eyes*

Sweet,
@sweet
12 years ago
133 posts

Johnsons baby shampoo has a high ph so that will mat up your hair fast, it looks like your really getting on well with your dreads NOW!

Sweet,
@sweet
12 years ago
133 posts

Have you had the go ahead from your mum now that you have a job?

Bug
@bug
12 years ago
43 posts

well i wouldn't say the go ahead.. but I'm not having to hide it anymore and she is only mildly grumbling. i didn't get disowned or kicked out lol! she has requested i don't talk to her about ti because she is still very set against it. she was from the generation where appearances mattered so she absolutely hates how my hair looks. even i admit it doesn't look great right now but that's why we call it a journey right? :)

Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
12 years ago
100 posts

wow great progress they look totally awesome !!

Ahil Ganesan
@ahil-ganesan
12 years ago
53 posts
Wow you can really see the progress! I wish my hair was that long! Haha I think SE gives great advice on how to change people's perspectives on dreads so that's probably the way to go... Good luck!
Kalina
@kalina
12 years ago
1 posts

hey hey! My neglect dreads' birthday was July 1st, 2012! :D

Bug
@bug
12 years ago
43 posts

Already 4 months in! I don't expect very fast dreading from here on out though because i landed a good paying full time job at a factory where my brother works. i need to have my hair up in a bun over 10 hours a day Monday through Thursday and over 5 and a half hours on Friday when we work over time. i wear a bandanna over my head with the bun and in addition to using a solution of water and essential oils haven't picked up any bad smells yet.

in addition i found a local soap maker where i got my essential oils also picked up a natural bar soap from them. it's not perfect because it has shea butter in it, but it has a wonderful pine smell and is quick and easy for washing my hair and doesn't seem to be over conditioning. i don't have problems with oil in the hair or scalp anymore after switching but after a day or two i still get a build up of i'm guessing dead skin on the scalp? I can scratch off an almost white paste like gunk.i was getting it long before i switched to the bar soap. i use to get it on my back and neck in the summer if a skipped showering one day and was working a lot so i'm thinking dead skin or maybe a mix of dead skin and sweat?

to keep it dry i have been putting my hair up in a clip while i shower on non dread-wash days (dread-wash days are Sunday and Thursday or Friday depending on if i have overtime). I'm wonder if i should keep it down and use the shower head to give my scalp a good rise every night, then spray in my essential oils mix (water, tea tree, rosemary, citronella, pinch of sea salt). Right now I'm using my nails when i wash my hair to try to scrape as much of it off as a can, but i can't get it all.

Anyways i know everyone dreads at different rates but do i look bout right for 4 months? or am I behind?
and will these crazy whirls and loop calm down eventually? I know they are part of the process, but my mom continues to give my hair death glares with it looking as it does now. I'm also worried i'll get like 4 or 5 reall thick dreads and then a bunch of really thin ones. and as it is i still have a lot of loose hair that you'd never guess hadn't seen a comb or brush in 4 months. so i guess this is where i'm having a bunch of doubt that eventually the rat nest i see int he mirror will actually come out as awesome dreads. :(

~Bug

Bug
@bug
12 years ago
43 posts

hey didn't a notice you had commented.. hehe, were DreadPeers! ;)

Kalina said:

hey hey! My neglect dreads' birthday was July 1st, 2012! :D

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form