Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

DreadJay's Natural Dreadlock Journey

DreadJay
@dreadjay
5 years ago
51 posts

Decided to start a journal as I'm in the very early stages and it will be good to look back on.

About 2 months ago I had shoulder length hair. I am attached to my hair because I had testicle cancer. Luckily it was only stage 1 and the chemo I had didn't make my hair fall out, but the fear of that happening was enough for me to become attached to my hair. This was 6 years ago. I tried growing my hair multiple times in that time and each time I had to get it cut. Once when my Dad died (Cancer too), and the second when my stepdad died 12 months later (Cancer too). All reinforced my love for my hair because each time I had to cut my hair for the funeral (couldn't attend with messy hair) hurt me to cut my hair. So after my stepdads death I decided to never cut it again.

But, the fear has turned into a love. A passion. A journey that is spiritual. After losing people I became more spiritual. I started looking to the Universe, and nature and loving the living things around me. I still struggle with mental health but this new journey, on a new path, is sending me in a direction that is already having a positive impact on my life.

It's so strange that some people view my journey negatively, or tar me with wanting to be "black". I do have Jamaican family, Mt cousins have a Jamaican Dad, my stepdad was Jamaican, but that's not the reason and it's nothing to do with his or their culture. A culture I have grew up around non the less. I've learned that dreadlocks are the way hair is meant to grow and it brings me closer to the natural "man" that were meant to be. At least that's my opinion.

Soaring eagle has been very helpful and I'm very much inspired by his dreads, and his process. I can't thank him enough for the wealth of information he has shared. A true inspiration.

I started by towel rubbing for a month. I stumbled on this site from a Google search and read a post by Soaring eagle that basically prompted to stop towel rubbing. And that's how I arrived here. I've now stopped that. All I'm doing from this point forward is washing with trader joes conditioner (because my gf uses it and her shampoo is no good but the conditioner is great). I let my hair dry naturally and put a towel over my shoulder to catch any small drips after ringing it out.

Only thing I'll be doing is separating locks if they get too fat, or section incorrectly. But, aside from that I'm now leaving them alone to do their thing however long that takes.

And I think that's everything for my introduction :) I'll keep it updated over time provided I have access to internet. I've included the current most picture of my hair.

232.jpg
232.jpg  •  63KB

updated by @dreadjay: 04/02/19 07:55:35AM
DreadJay
@dreadjay
5 years ago
51 posts

Couldn't edit post. But to note the conditioner use is temporary. I ordered a bottle of TJ shampoo from US and it took a month to get here and they sent the conditioner instead of the shampoo. I've got the shampoo on order so I just use the conditioner until it arrives. I read that conditioners are not good for locks but it beats towel rubbing I guess.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

yikes  well condtioners are meant to prevent tangling  so washing with conditioner doesnt really beat towel rubbing   ..by much

trader joes is fine but cat beat www.dreadlockshampoo.com liquid till mature then bars

in the meantime i would not wash with conditioner

even a poor shampoo is a better option

what else might you hae available

if you want to comb out dreads you use alot of conditioner// it makes knots come ut easiier

i'm sure we can come up with a better option for the next coule washes till u get something suitable

trader joes ..its ..marginal.. its..fine.. but thats about the best you can say.. ts not the best dread shampoo ..its not a dread shampoo but it also won't build up so its..fine..

if you want something that really encourages it to dread, and faster id consider the lockin up liquid from dreadlockshampoo.com

i would not use conditioner at all in the 1st year, unless they get so dry  theres no other choice

then i would not use ..that conditioner.instead just somethig like aloe, or jojoba oil, coconut oil, argon oil etc

so..what else can you wash with fo now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
DreadJay
@dreadjay
5 years ago
51 posts

I have some vo5 I can use for now. That tends to make the locks silky smooth too. Much smoother than the TJ's.

What about baking soda, and/or cider vinegar. I have that available to hand in the meantime.

I've just taken a look at the site and the products. Lots on there. I can place an order tonight for some bits once my cheque clears. Do you have any recommended products for my type of hair and current stage?

When my hair was straight it would get greasy within 3 days. Not sure if that classes as greasy hair of whether that's normal. Just mentioning incase it's relevant.

DreadJay
@dreadjay
5 years ago
51 posts

Oh also is shipping to the UK ok?

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts
I have quote greasy hair and wash every 2-3 days with the liquid.

If it's the 3rd day it is noticeably greasy to me.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
DreadJay
@dreadjay
5 years ago
51 posts

What liquid do you use mones? And yeah I'm the same mine is 3rd day too. Is greasy hair a genetic thing?

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts
The one from www.dreadlockshampoo.com

No idea if it's genetic. Everyone's different.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
DreadJay
@dreadjay
5 years ago
51 posts

Ah, yes I see. I was confused because of all the different options but it appears to be different fragrances. I've just ordered one of the liquid, and one of the soap bars. Can't wait till they arrive! For now I'll use a regular shampoo until they get here.

DreadJay
@dreadjay
5 years ago
51 posts

Shipping is very fast from the US to UK. I checked this morning and it has left Heathrow airport on route to my local sorting center. Will likely have it here for Friday or tomorrow. Crazy fast.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form