Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help me decide

Haylee
@haylee
13 years ago
6 posts
I've had my dreads for 9 months and have been shaping up nicely. I love them and can't wait until they get long.I have however run into a problem. I live in a small town, and am three moths behind on rent.I need to find another job, but I'm afraid people aren't looking at me like a reasonable employee because of my hair style.When I go out, I don't hide them, but I make sure. They look clean nmaintained and pulled back. I have in dreaded bangs that I style to look neat.But still I don't know if that is enough. I'm thinking of combing them out.I really don't want to, but the job search is looking hopeless. It could be the economy, I don't know. I just feel that I'm in a lot of competition and I don'tNeed one more reason pushing against me. I also think, "I could do them again." but who knows when I can do that if I find aJob or career that doesn't allow it. Also, I just got through the "ugly duckling" phase. It seems daunting to do that again.Please let me know what you all think. Wait it out, try again later. Keep em?I want to know. :). Thanks!-Haylee
updated by @haylee: 01/13/15 08:54:09PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

your thinking they sarent klooking at u as a reasonable job candidate..its not your hair its your paranois

your hoinh into interviews thinking theyre looking at my hair they wont hire me

dont even think about youtr hair go into the interviews as if u already got the job confident that they will wanjt u and beg u to wwork for them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

that really sucks! i know how how you are feeling right now. Being behind on rent and bills is really stressful. Then on top of that looking for a new job adds even more stress.

Try coffee shops , bookstores,music stores, health food stores or pet stores. These places are more open to dreads. I am not sure about your area but do you have any call centers? I worked at one for 3 years. The job kinda sucked but i made real good money and had insurance. Because you work on the phone, the public doesn't see you, so dreads won't count against you in an interview.

Me personally, I would never get rid of my dreads to get a job. There is a job for you out there, you just gotta find it.

Haylee
@haylee
13 years ago
6 posts
Thanks so much! I have to say I do act pretty confident, and don't think about it sonmuch when I'm out and about. I have yet to even get an interview actually. But those feelings happen usually when I get home.In addition my parents have a tendency of telling me " have you thought of getting rid of the dreads, you might get a job then."My husband doesn't think they hinder me. This place I live in has a crazy dynamic, there are mostly older people in this area. But there are tons of dreaded people, they mostly go unseen I thinkBecause they hide out in their "grow houses." anyways, thanks for the advice I'll hang on to the hair and have a little more hope.

soaringeagle said:

your thinking they sarent klooking at u as a reasonable job candidate..its not your hair its your paranois

your hoinh into interviews thinking theyre looking at my hair they wont hire me

dont even think about youtr hair go into the interviews as if u already got the job confident that they will wanjt u and beg u to wwork for them

Haylee
@haylee
13 years ago
6 posts
Thanks, no their aren't any call centers here. But I have applied at plant nurseries and some other places to try dog training. I never thought to apply in a retail or food service because I just figured there isn't a point, because I would be working with a lot of public.

taye said:

that really sucks! i know how how you are feeling right now. Being behind on rent and bills is really stressful. Then on top of that looking for a new job adds even more stress.

Try coffee shops , bookstores,music stores, health food stores or pet stores. These places are more open to dreads. I am not sure about your area but do you have any call centers? I worked at one for 3 years. The job kinda sucked but i made real good money and had insurance. Because you work on the phone, the public doesn't see you, so dreads won't count against you in an interview.

Me personally, I would never get rid of my dreads to get a job. There is a job for you out there, you just gotta find it.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form