Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads and stereotypes

roni
@roni
14 years ago
37 posts
Hi Dreadheads sounds very interesting. could you send a link?apropos stigmas managements: hope to compelte my doctoral studies in 3 years. then I'll show them all :-) NaturalWomyn said:
hey now! i spent a good amount of time in my life "following bands around" and got to see 48 states, meet the most amazing people/phamily I've ever known and experience the beauty of life in an eye opening way! Hubby and I are taking our kids for a little 2 week taste this summer even. So don't knock it till ya try it! Stereotypes suck. Much Love & Many Blessings

Metalhead Fred said:
I have a college degree, but due to the state of my countries' economy and the small shit hole town that I live in, I'm currently unemployed. I make a small bit of money repairing laptops/video games consoles.

If you want to see a true stereotype, check out the film "Dreadheads, A Portrait of a Subculture". Almost every person they interview comes across as a moron who has nothing better to do other than get wasted and follow bands around. Plenty of "labels" for you there.

updated by @roni: 07/24/15 11:40:19PM
Buttafly Jonez
@buttafly-jonez
14 years ago
5 posts
I'm a social worker for children and family. I have a bac. in Psychology and a Master's in Social Work. I also have a nose ring. I'm a professional and dare someone to comment on my Locs or my nose ring. there are cultural and religious reasons why I wear them, other than this is how my hair grows without a man made item raking it everyday. no problems thus far. I think there is a problem because people who have bad hygine also wear them. however, people with bad hygine also wear their hair unlocked. I also live in Los Angeles CA. soooo, It may be different if Ii lived in a less accepting place.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
I figured that's what u meant but i had to chime in with ma 2 cents just in case! Much Love!!! Metalhead Fred said:
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with following bands around, it sounds like a lot of fun!

What I meant was, that particular film seems to give off the image that most dreadheads are wasters who have little or no ambition. This thread is proving otherwise :o)

NaturalWomyn said:
hey now! i spent a good amount of time in my life "following bands around" and got to see 48 states, meet the most amazing people/phamily I've ever known and experience the beauty of life in an eye opening way! Hubby and I are taking our kids for a little 2 week taste this summer even. So don't knock it till ya try it! Stereotypes suck. Much Love & Many Blessings

Metalhead Fred said:
I have a college degree, but due to the state of my countries' economy and the small shit hole town that I live in, I'm currently unemployed. I make a small bit of money repairing laptops/video games consoles.

If you want to see a true stereotype, check out the film "Dreadheads, A Portrait of a Subculture". Almost every person they interview comes across as a moron who has nothing better to do other than get wasted and follow bands around. Plenty of "labels" for you there.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
moved out of introduce yourselfplease try choosing the right forum section when u create discussions

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jaquerian McCain
@jaquerian-mccain
14 years ago
45 posts
Depends on where you are. I am in Birmingham, AL - and I work in the Legal Field at a very large law firm. As long as you look professional and neat - there is no problem. Thus the reason I opted for sisterlocs vs. natural locs. Its a compromise on both sides of the equation. I get the freedom of expression I desire and they get a person who can represent them in a fashion they feel confident and comfortable with at court. I think a lot of the stereotypes only continue because closed mind or small minded folks keep thinking that way.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form