Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

questions and concerns

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Cool. A good dread shampoo will help your dreads mature the best. Vicki has a really good sea salt spray too. If you can, get the liquid lockin up shampoo, and the salt spray. Nothing else will help dreads mature any faster. Wash often.

peace

updated by @tim5: 07/09/15 10:25:02PM
Corey Ledgerwood
@corey-ledgerwood
11 years ago
25 posts
Alright thanks my dude. Just one more question for the people who know about the crochet hooking. Should my hair recover if I've only done it on like 3-4 serperate occasions?
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Corey, glad you made a decision and started your journey. I will start off by answering your questions:

• Should you be crocheting it: NO NO NO
  • What should you do about the loose hairs: let them be, it's just part of the process, whether it is backcombing or twist & rip, they loosen up first, those methods are only starters, blueprints to your dreads. Are you cool with wearing any beads on them, guy beads? This will help.
  • Should you sleep with a hat on: NO NO NO, let you scalp breath man, you will sweat with football, that's enough on the scalp, don't sweat overnight too
  • Can you wash them everyday: Wash them 2-3 times a week, but you sure can wet them with water every day, no problem, just don't go to sleep with them wet

Don't expect miracles with only 4 inches of hair right now. If you have Caucasian hair, it really likes to do its thing when it is 6 inches.

Backcombing is not bad, it comes after T&R and neglect, so don't worry, many people on here have started with that method, just don't re-backcomb them or you may have lasting damage. I myself started with twist & rip, not neglect. I will say that if you want dreads to mature and to last you for years, then don't crochet, it never allows them to truly mature. Even doing it once will set back the maturing process by 6 months. Your hair, your choice. Have a great football season...Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

3 or 4 is a hellof alot it wont recover as it repair the damage the damage is permenant but they will start to dread right eventualy 6 months or longer frim now the hook drasticly delays progress when u ri]ush to tighten u got a loooong time to let it loosen enough to dread right

because u crichetted they will probky get extra messy during the recovery friom all the hairs u broke popping out causing extrene frizz

no dreads ..real dreds will never look neat in 2 weeks sure crochet or waxy ones can but thenthey wont last

threy are...and have to..get messier b4 they get neater

just leave em be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Your hair will recover to a point. And after only a few times, it will recover to a point that you won't really notice that it was done. It will be weaker than if you never did. But I don't think you're going to try a tow your car with your hair anytime soon, so I think you're safe.

But... It will take a while to fully recover. Just 1 session can take up to 6 months. 3-5 will take about a year to see complete recovery. In that time you will see your hair get messy and have more and more loose hairs pop out. Let them. This is your over tightened knots undoing themselves and fixing themselves. It's natural. And it needs to happen.

If you get a bit discouraged, check out the recovery forums to see what other members are going through in this process

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

(sorry, walked away in the middle of my post, I see many replied while I took so long, If I repeat anything, my bad)

Corey Ledgerwood
@corey-ledgerwood
11 years ago
25 posts
Yeah I've deff been looking for beads but don't know where to find em really...but shit! It sounds like I really screwed up my hair haha. And when I said they're 4 inches long, I meant they are now, they were probably 5 and a half in the majority of spots before I had them done.
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

for beads, check out dollar stores, and believe it or not - Thrift Stores - they sell necklaces sometimes for cheap and they have some of the coolest beads on them. This is also garage sale time, so you should check out a few of those too. For some you may have to drill larger holes, pretty easy to do, just run the drill bit up and down a few times to get all the roughness out that you can't sand.....peace

Corey Ledgerwood
@corey-ledgerwood
11 years ago
25 posts
Alright thanks, I think I might check up at the windmill because there's TONS of handmade stuff so hopefully ill get lucky
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

beads go to a junk yard look for cars trucks vans anything that might have 1 of those beaded "massage" sea t covers

snip snip and u got a thousand beads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form