dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New Member: Hello

Cormac C
@cormac-c
12 years ago
4 posts

Hi All,

I'm 27, Irish and have had Dreads for around 5 years now.

I have entered my maintanence and products used in my profile.

I just wanted to say hell and thank everyone for sharing their knowledge here.

Cormac :)

updated by @cormac-c: 01/13/15 09:39:47PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Welcome. I commented on your profile, already. But I'll reiterate it here too. Trash everything you've got. DHHQ doesn't accept returns easily, and when they do, they charge outrageous restocking fees. And if you mention that you want to grow healthy locks,they won't even get back to you about any returns.

All of the good reviews on their page are from people who "put in" their locks that day. Once they realize how damaged their hair is, DHHQ censures those reviews.

I know you spent a lot on their products, and may not want to lose that money, but chalk it up to a learning experience.

You've got to remove that wax, though. Wax only prevents locking and creates a perfect environment for mold and mildew. Dreadlocks rot from the inside out. So you may not know how damaged they are until the wax comes out. It's a very aggressive washing routine, but it has to be done it you want to keep your locks for another 5 years. Check the dreaducation page, and the wax removal page. If you need any help, or clarification, let me know. I can help you get it out. Because you've been using wax for so long it'll take a while to get it all out (Most of it is hardened in the core of your locks, making them feel more mature than they are). But it's really necessary for your hairs health

Cormac C
@cormac-c
12 years ago
4 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I don't use the wax anymore, haven't since the first 2 years of their lifespan.

I keep my dreads quiet short (neck/shoulder length). Which is only slightly longer then they were when I first dreaded them. So I'm taking off about 2 to 3 inches every 6 to 8 months. The main reason I'm saying this is I believe the areas that contained the most product I used when maturing (foolishly I know, such things as Dreahead wax and Locka Peppa) have now grown out and hence been cut out (I've noticed the cross sections looking a lot healthier in the last year). But I have resolved to not use anymore wax in the past 2+ years and I have to say I don't miss it.

I will admit however to using their Coaco Butter rub every few months and the Knotty Boy conditioning sprays (which I got because I was simply too lazy to make my own, which I am now starting to do). Can I ask what your feelings are on these products.

FYI I really don't mind about their returns policy, If they are no good. I will simply bin them to save me the anguish of trying to squeez any money out them, They did serve me well during the early days, but as you said it can give a false sense of maturing by overuse of wax etc.

Thanks again for you advice :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Wax melts a bit when it's heated. So if you wash with hot water at all, you may still have some in your hair. Probably no where near when you started, but there may be some. It might be worth doing a few wax removal sessions to be safe.

Of those products, I'd stop using the butter rub. It'll leave residue in your hair. You can probably get a travel size clarifying shampoo and get it out. Don't use clarifying shampoos more than 1-2 times a year, though. They strip other residue away, but leave some of their own (I know, it seemscounter intuitive).

As for the spray, They don't list their ingredients, but they do say that is washes out easily IF you use their shampoo, which would lead me to guess it has hydrocarbons like glycerin in it. Those will build up in your locks too, and cause trouble. Another reason to do a clarifying wash.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i wouldnt use anything from them and any wax use is over use wax never should be used at all

if you hadnt used all that crap and done so much harm with hiooks and all you would probly have veery long dreads today and you would never even think of cutting off even an inch

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cormac C
@cormac-c
12 years ago
4 posts

Hi Soaring Eagle,

Thanks for the info, I didn't realise the error of my ways until a little over 2 years in so I am trying to right the wrongs now, as best I can. I plan on getting rid of the wax and buying some new soaps/shampoos so I can move away from using any Dreadhead HQ products (if only this website had existed when I started *sigh*)

To be honest I cut them myself to keep them at shoulder length for 2 main reasons. Mainly I was more into the look of shorter dreadlocks when I 1st started them - I was a big Rage Against the Machine fan

And secondly, I've worked in an office the entire time and people seem to respond better to shorter dreads (as in the seem less shall we say "grossed out", no offense intended obviously, I mearly speak for the uneducated masses - The types of people who stare and ask "Can you wash your hair") and I don't seem to be prejudged by people. I am now more comfortable in myself so plan to let them go to approx 1/2 way down my back.

So project repair and grow is now underway.

Once I have washed the wax out, how do i get them to lock properly again? Is it just a case of simply dry rolling them?

Do you have advice guys for Stimulating hair growth or fullness/vitality(i have some slightly balding gaps between my dreads due to my years of mistreatment)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont roll them at all dont do nothing just wash and seperate thats all

thats all ive ever done and i worked in offices with meetings with politicians church leaders heads of multinational multi million orgs finance inst leaders u name it

and they all loved mine and mine d4ag on the floor

in fact 1st day of work there i took off my tam my fdreads fall out to the floor the president walks by stops dead says..wow..and that was that

when the company made new promo materials (mugs calanders posters) my picture was front center ..the corporate image haha

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form