Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Loose hair

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
I know this is in the wrong section, but it wouldn't let me select anything other than "introduce yourself". Please feel free to move it.This is a common question, so I'm sorry if it's been answered already. I have loose hairs that I'm assuming worked their way out if the dread. I know some loose hair is a good thing, but these are long, full length hairs that somehow worked their way out. There aren't a ton, but there are getting to be quite a few. I was wondering with some hair types if it's possible for all the hairs to eventually loosen out of the dread, to the point that the dreads have just come completely undone? They are about 9 months old if that makes any difference, and I do nothing to them but wash 2-3 times a week and separate.
updated by @cristin-nessen: 01/13/15 09:36:50PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Obviously you know, locks are a process and go through many stages.

These loose hairs are normal. The whole lock will probably not come undone. What Is possibly happening is that some hairs did not feel right in the section that were in. Most likely they were being pulled into the lock where the section shouldn't have formed. In time, those loose hairs will naturally tangle with eachother and create a whole new lock, even if it's a super thin micro-lock.

Your hair does strange things. This is just one of them.

Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Pheeew! Lol I was hoping it was all part of the process, but I just thought I'd ask the experts just in case! Thanks :)
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

No worries. If the whole hair is coming out, then you won't have to worry about the root thinning out either. The root will get thinner, but the whole lock will be getting light too. So it'scompensatedfor

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Define long. It's completely normal for there to be some long hairs. When you're separating just you are creating some loose hairs between them. They need to be long enough for them to form new dreads or join some. If there's a whole lot the only thing I can think of is maybe you're using too much conditioner or something preventing them from dreading.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
The length is the full length my undreaded hair would be. There isn't a lot, but it was enough to concern me. I don't use any conditioner, just the shampoo and shampoo bar i ordered off here. It does make my hair quite soft though.
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Also, some of my dreads are thinner at the roots, not just the undreaded growth, but the growth that has started to knot. As time goes by Will those knots get plumper? Or is that possibly just the difference between the backcombed part of the dread, and the way the new growth is knotting naturally on its own?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont worry bout it but if u have the liquid too use that a few months maybe

could just be caused by living too like my beards got enough full length undreDed hairs to be annoying (swallowing a hair that goes all the way into your stomach and pulls on the corner of your lips not pleasant to pull back out haha)

they stay loose cause everytime i move my head dreads from front to back or vice versa alotta beard hairs go with em keeping em loose

so maybe when your moving or separating your keeping them from joining a dread?

its nothing worth worrying bout tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cristin Nessen
@cristin-nessen
12 years ago
158 posts
Lol swallowing beard hair sounds like an interesting time! Luckily i dont have a beard haha. Thanks for your thoughts, I'll just keep letting my hair do its thing then and see what happens :)
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That's why I keep my beard trimmed. I clean it up every 3 months or so. In between it get's wild and long. I grow a beard fast. I'll never shave it off, but I do trim it, cause I hate that feeling of my beard hair getting into my mouth

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form