Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can't decide if i should take the journey!

Katie Lane
@katie-lane
13 years ago
1 posts

Hi, my name is Katie and I LOVE dreads. I love the way they look, and feel. I've been wearing synthetic dreads for a while because i can't decide if I should commit. I suppose I'm mostly worried about how others will view me. I'm also a little worried that i'll get into the process and then decide i miss my old hair. What should i do?

updated by @katie-lane: 01/13/15 09:10:10PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

your worried what ppl would think yet u chose synthetic dreads that look kinda goofy by comparison?

ill give u advise

throw away the syntheticas

throw away the comb

dont prevent dreads or get dreads

let the hair decide for you if it wants to dread

bet the answers hell yea

shouldnt u only care how u view u? do u wanna view u as someone afraid to be u cause u r too scared how others view u?

?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

If you love dreads, dreads will love you. Synthetic dreads aren't the same. I'm learning that dreads isn't about a look, it's a about a feel and way of life. If you love dreads, you'll probably synch right into it.

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts

YES! that's it exactly']

hippiegal said:

If you love dreads, dreads will love you. Synthetic dreads aren't the same. I'm learning that dreads isn't about a look, it's a about a feel and way of life. If you love dreads, you'll probably synch right into it.

Tara C
@tara-c
13 years ago
644 posts

Dreads are a journey. To some people it is just a hairstyle, but the time and committment it takes allows you to learn a lot about yourself. It can teach you patience, confidence, etc. My hair is really messy/frizzy, and I've learned to not care what people think about the craziness, cos I know it'll dread more and more with each day. People judge people on EVERYTHING, you can't escape judgments, but you should never let it stop you from doing what you want, doing what will make you happy. As for if you miss your old hair, well, give it time, cos dreads do take a while (some longer than others)

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i would say to just be sure your in it for the long haul. they don't call it a journey for nothing. you will most likely endure a lot of criticism from some very close minded individuals. i've learned that you need to develop some pretty thick skin depending on where you live. i don't know why people think its okay to tell you that you look like crap but they will. even family members. but thats why this forum is here. we come here for love and support from our fellow dreadies. a lot of us live in towns without other dreadheads so it nice to feel welcome without beingcriticized. good luck to you:)

mellowtone
@mellowtone
13 years ago
48 posts

you need to do what makes YOU happy inside.. whether it be dreads or not. but it sounds to me like you want to start the journey but you're letting other people hinder your decision! you'll come to find that once you begin, you care less and less about what others think every day :) that's what's been happening to me. and i've noticed that when you don't care anymore, nobody really bothers to question you. my hair is a crazy mess every day, and I love it! and my friends see it every morning doing something different and they don't even give it a second glance.. along with helping me not worry about the opinions of others, it helped me learn who my true friends are :) and you'll also find that anytime you need help or a kind word, you'll find it on this site!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form