Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

middle-aged newbie dreadhead

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
Heather you have such a serene and peaceful look in your eyes'] beautiful!
updated by @exalthimx7: 07/23/15 09:18:54AM
tha tron
@tha-tron
13 years ago
147 posts
just rock a tam, the rasta men in Jamaica do it your going to have to suck it up and do it brotha man lol. I wear a hat wear I work at you'll get used to it.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

ExaltHimx7 said:
Heather you have such a serene and peaceful look in your eyes'] beautiful!
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
13 years ago
159 posts

Well I am a couple of years older than you :-) I have really enjoyed having my dreads. I did start mine using the back combing method. Mine are now (actually today) 15 months old, long with some of them being wrapped with colored embroidery thread. I am employed at a Oral & Maxifacial surgeons office......I would say conservative. I am very accepted my my co-workers and patients. If you would like, take a look at my photos on my page. My son dreaded my hair, took a good full week to do, I have lots of hair and it is also thick. I now like the gray that is coming in on my temple area. I hope you are able to add some photos to your photo page. There is also a group that deals with "new ways to wear/style your dreads" on this site, surf for it and join.

Peace out from this momma has dreads :-)

Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts

Yay for all the crazy older women!!! I say we've earned the right to do whatever we damn well please with our hair, our clothes, our lives, WHATEVER!!! lol. Anyway, that became my philosophy of life when I turned 40.

OMG, you should see my hair when I wake up in the morning. It is absolutely scary. This morning I tried the baking soda wash and the ACV rinse. It is still drying I am still in week one. This is only my second wash of the week. The first one was with Dr. Bronner's peppermint. I love that stuff. Somebody said they do the baking soda once a week and Dr. Bronner's once a week. That sounded good to me, so I'll try that for awhile and see how it goes. Last night I was at the beach and made sure and got my hair very wet and salty and then it dried naturally in the wind while we were fishing. Yuck. It was so late when we got home I didn't do anything. I know that's gross but I just couldn't deal with it. That's one of the reasons I did the BS wash this morning. I wanted it very clean!

Well, I'm glad to know there are lots more of us "old cronies" on here. It's nice swapping stories and I love hearing and seeing your progress. Keep it coming!

hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

Hi, Butterfly.

I've only just joined up and started my dread journey and I'm 55. So - another late starter. I guess it calls everyone at the exact right time, young or old. I think that by doing it the natural way my dreadlocks are teaching me about delayed gratificationnot my strong point.When my hair is crazy and messy and I have to go out, I use scarves or colourful wooly hats, or pin it up in a loose bun. Your curly hair should dread really well. Is it long? I like butterflies, too. They'll make a lovely tatt.

I hope you enjoy being us all. For me, it's so nice to have others to share my dread madness, when none of my other friends are into it.

Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts

Hi hippiegal,

Glad you stopped in. And glad to know there's another one of us out there. No, my hair is not very long at all. It's about chin length. I'm into my second week of this process and already getting impatient! But I did order some cute scarves from Etsy that somebody posted a link to on here. I live in Florida so wool is out of the question, lol.

How long have you been growing yours? I'd love to hear more about your experience. Thanks for saying hey!

Kai Rayne
@kai-rayne
13 years ago
72 posts
Hi! :) So glad you are starting your dread journey! :) As far as a cover for the mess while your hair dreads... I have a wool tam that I wear only oionally right now since I live in central Alabama and its just too hot... but I picked up some light coloured bandannas and use those to cover the mess. Also you can find hair wraps that are made from recycled tshirts (of if your are crafty you can make them yourself), those would be a cooler alternative to a hot hat. :)
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
13 years ago
336 posts
LOL!!! I cut off several tee's and tanks to make wraps, they work GREAT'] Also, I cut the legs off my bootcut yoga pants(to the knee) for summer and they make great wraps, too!
Butterfly
@butterfly
13 years ago
56 posts

I'm crafty but not with fabric stuff. I was looking on Etsy again today at different things. I did buy a couple bandanas at Walmart. They are so cheap and I use them for other things anyway. I can't wait till my gypsy wraps get here. They are soooo pretty. My hair is such a mess. But maybe I'm the only one who thinks that. Today I went to lunch with my mom and sister. I was so worried about what they were going to say. I went in to see my sister first and asked her what she thought of my new hairstyle and she said it looked great, but not that different, lol. Later I asked my mom and she said she couldn't tell it was different!!! Well, she is 82! Believe me, it IS different. I didn't wear anything on it today. I washed it and let it dry this morning so it was pretty wild. I just decided, who cares?

ExaltHim is that a recent pic of you? Your hair looks a little shorter than mine, although mine is shrinking. How long is your hair Kai? Can you wear a tam with short hair or would it look stupid?

/ 11

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form