Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New and need some advice!

Alexandra
@alexandra
13 years ago
16 posts

I shall start by introducing myself, I'm Alexandra and I currently have one dread...yes, one. But that gets me to the advice part! I only have one dread because 1. all of my hair is pink and 2. because it's slightly damaged from the bleaching from black to really light blonde to pink. It's been a little over a month since I dyed my hair, and actually it's pretty soft now, no longer frizzy, though I do have quite a collection of split ends. Anyway I did my first dread a couple weeks ago, as a sort of experiment to see what it would look like and how my hair would handle it after being chemically burned. So far so good... though a bit frizzy with broken hair and sort of dry but I'm taking care of the dryness with aloe (I've heard that's good). I really am keen on a full head of dreads, but I'm very hesitant after all the harm my hair has thus far endured. Gradually my hair is getting stronger because I've been using some great products, and having pinkish-red dreads wouldn't bother me, I think they'd look rad. But, is it unwise to start dreads with slightly damaged hair? I've read that it is. I'd like some more input though

Hope I made some sense... and placed this in the rightcategory? I'm shit with forums :')

updated by @alexandra: 01/13/15 08:57:37PM
Rachel Guthrie
@rachel-guthrie
13 years ago
36 posts
I'd think you'd be fine if its not unhealthy to the point of breakage. I had damaged hair from previous dyes too(pink and blue! :D), and I just cut my split ends(because they were breaking badly) then dreaded it and it seems to be doing fine :) But if you think its pretty bad, I'd give it some treatments then dread it once its healthy. But thats just my opinion.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

hey well

do not backcomb or yikes crochet

you will be fine to go natural

u night not even want to twist and rip tho its probly ok

backcomb or crochet would do way too mych harm

id recomend u go natural..but if u tnr do it very gently

and you will be ok

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alexandra
@alexandra
13 years ago
16 posts
Ahh, thank you so much for your answers and opinions. You two have eased my mind :) I'll certainly have to get a trim because my ends are my only big problem at the moment. Seems like my hair has really rebounded from all the damage, but to be safe I may give it another half a month to a month of healing time.I think I shall gently do tnr, since that's how my first dread was done and it worked pretty well. Definitely won't use a crochet hook! I did a couple times and noticed that it made it a bit thinner on the end, lesson learned with that.
Sheresa
@sheresa
13 years ago
41 posts
I bleached my hair twice waiting a week between each time and am kinda glad I dreaded my hair right after. I think it probably would have looked awful for months after if I hadn't. But since it's dreaded I don't see my split ends at all, just a big crazy mess :)
Alexandra
@alexandra
13 years ago
16 posts
That's wonderful to know! Really helps me in my case too since my hair went through so much damage. I'm so excited to dread mine, I've been in great spirits all day!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form