Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

hello from AZ.

Valerie
@valerie
14 years ago
39 posts

completely agree! salons really cant do anything good for dreads that your can't easily do yourself.

i forgot about backcombing.. how do you do a combination of backcombing and tnr??? haha im picturing a disaster in my head...

ummmm but yeah backcombing might be great for you aaron! i can see it being easier than twist and rip cause youd have to get those pretty tight for them to have any hold.

updated by @valerie: 07/23/15 07:06:04PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

actualy twist abnd rip holds better

but backcomb can get a lil initial knots started then twist and rip from there

and getting em real tight shouldnt be a goal anyway just formed enough to survive washings long enough to dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
aaron lopez
@aaron-lopez
14 years ago
5 posts

really? baking soda? so i just wash my hair with backing soda? im down with doing natural dreads i just dont wanna miss the window of opportunity with the hair haha.

k so does any one mind giving me some step by step instructions? actually a trusted web link will work. i dont mind reading up on it i just dont wanna fish out the wrong info.

have your dreads ever prevented you from getting a job? might sound like a dumb question but im applying to nursing school and im just wondering if there is any prejudice towards dreads in the work place.

Valerie
@valerie
14 years ago
39 posts

this is your trusted web link!

on the top menu thingy.. read dreaducation and the FAQ's. should be a good start

look under the groups and theres a group for the baking soda wash. itll give you a good recipe on there.

and my job is fine with my hair. im a waitress. but there are plently of people with plenty better jobs than mine who have dreads :)

aaron lopez
@aaron-lopez
14 years ago
5 posts
sweet-o. this wi be a fun new adventure for me. i have been vegan for a while now and all my vegan friends keep telling me to get dreads, so i guess its about time.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

i never liked jobs so usualy work for myself but the few jobs i had were no problem at all

(in fact they used me in theyre advertising materials haha)

step by step natural

1 lose copmb

continue to wash but not condition

wait

seperate dreads from eachother as they fowrm

wait more

or u can do the twist and rip to jump start it

but again why do u think your going bald lets see some pics im betting if u stop doing what u been doing to it it wuill bounce back thick and full

--
aaron lopez
@aaron-lopez
14 years ago
5 posts

well, i use shampoo only about once a month maybe less, and i never use conditioner. its been like this for a few years now. i just didn't like the feel of my hair when it was "washed" so i quit using products on it. i love beenies, could that be a reason for baldness? and here are some pics

[IMG] http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx197/aslsmm/001-14.jpg [/IMG]

[IMG] http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx197/aslsmm/002-10.jpg [/IMG]

these are 2 month ould pics. i guess im not "balding" badly but my hair is thinning compared to what it looked like.

soaringeagle said:

i never liked jobs so usualy work for myself but the few jobs i had were no problem at all

(in fact they used me in theyre advertising materials haha)

step by step natural

1 lose copmb

continue to wash but not condition

wait

seperate dreads from eachother as they fowrm

wait more

or u can do the twist and rip to jump start it

but again why do u think your going bald lets see some pics im betting if u stop doing what u been doing to it it wuill bounce back thick and full

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

that looks thin not balding wearing a beannie alot didnt help is that the current length?

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

message panterra

shes our hair expert that can help u the most with getting your hair in tip ttop shape b4 dreading

thank god we saved u from the salon who knows what theyd do to u lol

i think we gotta treat the hair better a month or so maybe let it go natural till then then decide on a method i do think we can get that to thicken up some 1st

--
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
I heard my name!!! Lol Panterra here..ok, from what I can see and hear you have fine, thin hair. I would also guess that you will have premature loss, but, look to your mother's dad and granddad...are they bald/balding? One problem that balding men have and many fine haired folks have is an excess of sebum, in other words...oily scalp and or hair. Many people who have this oily state may not realize that is what is making them uncomfortable with conditioner but it is. Another thing that happens is that men who are thin or thinning get nervous with shamppoing by thinking that it will speed loss...when ifact, the opposite is true. The sebum (oil) in the hair can clog the follicle and create more loss. Sebum is usually accompanied with perspiration and perspiration contains salt. Salt will cause more loss and damage to the scalp if it is allowed to remain on the hair for significant time. So, you need to be cleansing your hair and scalp on a regular basis. I suggest the Baking Soda and ACV. This will be a change for you but I do think it will give you the best results. I am really glad that you decided against extensions. Not only are they costly but in your case I believe they would cause much more stress to your hair. I wanted to also mention that it is alright for you to weat tams or beanies ( I prefer you choose a tam for circulation of air and movement of hair in aiding knot forming)but be sure to keep them fresh and clean by washing them in a mild handwash soap and letting them air dry...this will keep the contact with sebum down. Also, how is your scalp? Itchy? Flaky? Anything like that going on? How is your diet? Did you say you were a vegan? If so, this may pose another type of problem. If you did not replace your protein needs with a good quality alternative, this could cause thinning of your hair and weakness in the follicle. I highly suggest a hair vitamin. These can be purchased at most health food stores. Try a skin, hair, nail supplement. You can also trying taking Biotin.Any good store should be able to help you if you explain that you are vegan and having hair thinning. All this will not stop male pattern baldness if that is your problem, but it will give you a healthier head in general and the best chance to drtead successfully. I also wanted to address your saying that you needed to "beat the clock" so to speak. I am sorry...but this is just plain silly. Dreads are something that occurs naturally if allowed and does not happen on a schedule.From your pictures, I would encourage you to go natural for a period of time, allowing your own hair to react the way it wants to. After you have a bit more length you may want to try some very light backcombing to encourage knotting if your hair is reluctant but that is all. You really need to stop obsessing over time and just let the process unfold. Afterall, if you were to happen to progress quickly and were fully dreaded in a handful of monthes what do you plan to do in a year if you bald more? Cut them off? Dreads aren't a fashion statement, they are a way of life and the best thing you can do is to let go of this "right now" mindset...whether it is about dreads or hair loss...you will feel alot better if you do. I am here, as well as everyone else to encourage and guide you if that is what you need. Please consider what I have said and let me know about my questions. I will give you as much information as I can. Blessings.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form