Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hi, new dreads and have lots of questions.

YHWHreigns
@yhwhreigns
10 years ago
9 posts
Hi, ia m one day into my new dreads and have lots of questions. I have been told quite a lot of things from the loctician who did my hair and after spending the day reading on this site it sounds like most everything was wrong. Here are my questions so far....thanks in advance for the help and I appologize for all the questions. lol1. I was told to use a Sea salt locking locking spray. Is this right? If ao What ratio of salt to water, how often do I do it .2. I was told to use a water and essential oil spray to help fight dandruff, smells, mildew etc. again, is this correct and if so what ratio and how often.3. I was told to continue to palm twist my dread often to help them form. Correct?4. I was told to wait three weeks before washing for the first time. Correct?5. How often should I wash my hair (I have the Peppermint Dr. bronnors mixed 12 parts water to 1 part DB, is this correct?6. How do I achieve smooth looking dreads as opposed to frizzy?7. How do I achieve blunt tips?
updated by @yhwhreigns: 02/14/15 08:21:38AM
NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
10 years ago
170 posts

3. no, do not palm roll.

4. No need to wait three weeks, you could wait a week at the most, if you wanted to.

5. Wash your hair 1-3 times a week. twice is good! Yes, those are the correct ratios on the shampoo.

6. You just have to wait. Everyone's hair is different.

7. Once again, you have to wait.. Wispy tips help your locks dry faster.

questions 1-2 are both ok, you can do those things. You should look around this site in order to find the ratios.. Look up "Sea Salt Ratio" not sure about the ratios on the oils.. If you washing with a shampoo, you shouldn't "need" the oil rinses, but they could help. Much love and peace to you.. SE might be able to help you on the ratios.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

1 locticians are a mistake what duid she do was wax used was crochet hooks used

ok 1 sea salt yes you can use it but dont need to it dries the hair out wuch speedsa dreading but can over dryuse the same ratio as sea water 3.5% of the water volume use weekly or less use 2 hours b4 u wash

2 thats a surprise cause it is correct althpugh vagie and uncomplete opoils teatree rosemary ..pepermints an option too theres others a few drops go a long waty 3-5 in a spraybottle 10-30 in a gallon is strong

3 nooo dont palm roll well it doesnt really do anything unless u way over do it at wich point it causes far more harm then good

4 many salons say not to wash for a year ..eww wash when you want washing helps them dread but they will loosen b4 tightening its part of the process dont use bronners if u got hard water theres plenty of other options dont towel dry wash gently at 1st especially

5 1-3 times a week weekly aty a minumum the more i do the better just not every day every other max every 3rd is typically ideal for most ppl

6 u cant well not withpit extreme harm that you'll hate u could use wax (gross and very very bad idea) or crochet (extreme damage cayuses way more frizz while taming it temporarily ..breaking hairs causes frizz wuch you crochet in breaking more creating more... accept the frizz it gets better as they mature but no dreads are ever fruzz free (if healthy)

7 let them blunt or force them to but again not a good idea as blunted tups make them take 5 tumes longer to dry as water pools in them instead of running out the loose tups

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
10 years ago
170 posts

also getting your hair done by a loctician can be a damaging method.. Letting your hair lock naturally is the least damaging way to do it.. Twist and Rip method isn't bad either..

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

please provide full details on what the locticuan did there maybe extra recovery steps needed

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

looking at the pics it looks like backcomb then wax? possibly crochet but my guess is wax?

if so we need to get the wax out right awau

if crochet yoir going to have a long recovery and extra frizz along the way unless you continue to crochet adding more and more damage

--
YHWHreigns
@yhwhreigns
10 years ago
9 posts
I don't know a lot about dread terminology but she did use a little wax, she palm rubbed and back combed.
YHWHreigns
@yhwhreigns
10 years ago
9 posts
Also, I attached links to pictures because I could not figure out how to directly attach pictures to a post. How do you do that?
SimpleSpiveys
@simplespiveys
10 years ago
58 posts
Good thing you came here. There's quite a bit of false and glamorized "info" elsewhere. Don't wish for blunt tips! I have them (Mrs.) and the water takes forever to get out. I wish mine had not blunted, but that's just what happened since mine are neglect,
SimpleSpiveys
@simplespiveys
10 years ago
58 posts
Oh, and nice gun on your photobucket :P
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form