Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread History?

Nic Sullivan
@nic-sullivan
14 years ago
47 posts
Ya know i was thinking and i had tried looking up a few things. But i don't know to much about the history behind dreadlocks, just a few things and i was wondering if anyone had any insite. Sweet thanks! \m/
updated by @nic-sullivan: 01/13/15 08:34:47PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ok well we had a section for that so i moved it theredreads are as old as man..older in fact think about it our species and the species we evolved from had hair, not fur, the difference being that hair continues to grow and fur has a typical length without deviation much. so any animal with fur or hair long enough to dread would tend to dreadin the beginning we had no tools to cut comb or style hair so dreads were the norm.flash forward to egypt when the comb is finally invented and some began to comb out theyre lockshowever many pharoes (king tut for instance was known to have dreads) still wore locks perhaps to set themselves apart as holy god menagain in egypt in the time of moses the most devote jews (perhaps moses himself) would take the nazarene vow grow theyre locks and follow strict doers and practices. in the bible its written only te nazarene may speak directly to the devine (further implying moses had dreads) and may enter the promiced land.throughout history many peoples wore dreads norse arabs scotts you name it dreads were part of most culturesback to biblical refferences, jesus joseph john the baptist and samson were all known tio have dreads ?(jesus's dreads were to the ground)further on we have the rastas who originaly started wearing locks to imitate the strength of the zulu warriors (the term dreadlocks is fairly new too) although rasta dreading has been traced to the zulu, today the wearrers of dreads in the rasta community are those who follow the nazarene way,the ital diet and the vow to never cut or comb the hairim no historian though theres way more history i dont knowthis is just the tip of the iceburg

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nic Sullivan
@nic-sullivan
14 years ago
47 posts
Thanks Se that was a lot to take in I hope i can do some more searching and find out more info. Thanks again! soaringeagle said:
ok well we had a section for that so i moved it there
dreads are as old as man..older in fact think about it our species and the species we evolved from had hair, not fur, the difference being that hair continues to grow and fur has a typical length without deviation much. so any animal with fur or hair long enough to dread would tend to dread
in the beginning we had no tools to cut comb or style hair so dreads were the norm.

flash forward to egypt when the comb is finally invented and some began to comb out theyre locks
however many pharoes (king tut for instance was known to have dreads) still wore locks perhaps to set themselves apart as holy god men

again in egypt in the time of moses the most devote jews (perhaps moses himself) would take the nazarene vow grow theyre locks and follow strict doers and practices. in the bible its written only te nazarene may speak directly to the devine (further implying moses had dreads) and may enter the promiced land.

throughout history many peoples wore dreads norse arabs scotts you name it dreads were part of most cultures

back to biblical refferences, jesus joseph john the baptist and samson were all known tio have dreads ?(jesus's dreads were to the ground)

further on we have the rastas who originaly started wearing locks to imitate the strength of the zulu warriors (the term dreadlocks is fairly new too) although rasta dreading has been traced to the zulu, today the wearrers of dreads in the rasta community are those who follow the nazarene way,the ital diet and the vow to never cut or comb the hair

im no historian though theres way more history i dont know
this is just the tip of the iceburg
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
SE - just curious, where exactly in the bible does it say that Christ had dreadlocks and that they were to the ground????? What biblical "reference" are you "referring" to??? ha-ha!!! Nic Sullivan said:
Thanks Se that was a lot to take in I hope i can do some more searching and find out more info. Thanks again!

soaringeagle said:
dreads are as old as man..older in fact think about it our species and the species we evolved from had hair, not fur, the difference being that hair continues to grow and fur has a typical length without deviation much. so any animal with fur or hair long enough to dread would tend to dread
in the beginning we had no tools to cut comb or style hair so dreads were the norm.

flash forward to egypt when the comb is finally invented and some began to comb out theyre locks
however many pharoes (king tut for instance was known to have dreads) still wore locks perhaps to set themselves apart as holy god men

again in egypt in the time of moses the most devote jews (perhaps moses himself) would take the nazarene vow grow theyre locks and follow strict doers and practices. in the bible its written only te nazarene may speak directly to the devine (further implying moses had dreads) and may enter the promiced land.

throughout history many peoples wore dreads norse arabs scotts you name it dreads were part of most cultures

back to biblical refferences, jesus joseph john the baptist and samson were all known tio have dreads ?(jesus's dreads were to the ground)

further on we have the rastas who originaly started wearing locks to imitate the strength of the zulu warriors (the term dreadlocks is fairly new too) although rasta dreading has been traced to the zulu, today the wearrers of dreads in the rasta community are those who follow the nazarene way,the ital diet and the vow to never cut or comb the hair

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
loldont ask me lol i tried reading that and got a headache but somewhere hes described as having hair like ropes, he was a nazarene so would have had to have dreads at least 100 days (most have em longer)and well the to the ground part thats just what i was told MiDread said:
SE - just curious, where exactly in the bible does it say that Christ had dreadlocks and that they were to the ground????? What biblical "reference" are you "referring" to??? ha-ha!!!

Nic Sullivan said:
Thanks Se that was a lot to take in I hope i can do some more searching and find out more info. Thanks again!

soaringeagle said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Jesus was referred to as a "Nazerene" because he grew up in Nazereth. That was apparently to fullfil prophecy. Anyone living there was referred to as a "Nazerene." However, there was supposedly at the time a "Nazerite" vow (nothing to do with being a Nazerene) that some would take and under this vow, they were not allowed to drink alcohol (wine), touch a dead body or cut their hair, etc. Jesus did drink wine and touch dead bodies - so from what I can understand, he could not have been under any "Nazerite" vows - at least during his recorded ministry. There may be some question of a vow before he was crucified, but I dont know if it would have given him enough time to have long dreads. Also, after the Nazerite vow was completed, the person was to shave their head. I am familiar with Samson and his dreadlocks - he was a Nazerite from birth along with John the Baptist, but I have NEVER heard of anything in the New Testament describing Jesus and the fact that he had dreadlocks. The verse about him having "hair like wool" sounds to me like it refers to color - "white as wool, as white as snow" not the "kind" of hair he had. I would LOVE to hear about a scripture that specifically states what Jesus looked like, or that he specifically had dreadlocks, but I don't think it exists. Actually, I don't believe there is any detailed physical description of Jesus in the New Testament. Is anyone familiar with one that I could look up?????said:
They have also unearthed ancient bodies in east Asia that had dreadlocks.
What SE is referring to in the Bible is the description of what a nazarite has to do. Not being able to comb one's hair typically leads to dreadlocks. Both Samson and John the Baptist followed this, as did Jesus. (though his 100 days of not brushing aren't described so that probably happened during his lost years because he is referred to as a nazarite so he had to have observed to ritual of one to earn this name)
I don't feel like typing this all out so yeah for wikipedia!
"A nazirite can groom his hair with his hand or scratch his head and neednt be concerned if some hair falls out. However a nazirite cannot comb his hair since it is a near certainty to pull out some hair. A nazirite is not allowed to use a chemical depilatory that will remove hair.[16] A nazirite that recovers from Tzaraath, a skin disease described in Leviticus 14, is obligated to cut his hair despite being a nazirite."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazirite#Laws_of_the_nazirite
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Sorry! I didn't mean to "correct" you! Hope you are not offended, although I can feel the "bristle" in your typed response LOL! I am not interested in a "debate" either. Just interested in anyone's comments as far as having knowledge of "actual" scripture that describes what Jesus looked like and anything referring to him having dreads!!! I was just sharing what I have come to understand - didn't mean to "school" you and I apologize if I came across that way - it was totally unintended. The only reason I mentioned the "Nazerite" vow is because it appears that a lot of people think being referred to as a "Nazerene" automatically means you were under the vow, which from what I understand is not necessarily so. I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what you were talking about and would welcome any information you have to the contrary of what I have come to understand. I am sure that your PhD. aquaintance is an expert in the field and would have a very good idea of what was common at the time. I have just been led to believe (and have not seen otherwise yet) that there is no real physical description of Jesus - so from what I can tell, people saying he had dreads is not really backed by any proof in the bible. If there is proof or a scripture that refers to this, I would LOVE to read it for myself. There would be nothing cooler than to find out that Jesus actually sported dreads! Hence, my question to SE about where he read or saw or heard that Jesus had dreads!!! It seems that you can never have an honest discussion about religion or Jesus without people "raising the hair on their backs." Please don't be upset with what I said. I am not trying to "instigate" or "upset" or "teach" anyone. I am simply interested and wanted to share what I was aware of - right OR wrong!!!! :)page=1&commentId=3754945%3AComment%3A92155&x=1#3754945Comment92155">
I stand corrected, I guess. Of course, Jesus is never really physically described in the Bible and I got the theory that Jesus may have been a nazerite (And yes, I did mean nazarite and not nazerene. I do know the difference), not from the Bible but from a history professor who has a PhDs in the Bible and Roman history. I assumed he was reasonably knowledgeable on the matter as he does have PhDs in the subject, but clearly this is just a theory and I don't know the details that support it.
Of course, I shouldn't have spoken about a matter that I only have passing familiarity with so I yield to your more thorough knowledge as I have no inclination to debate further on the matter.
Enjoy the rest of you evening though! I would be curious to see what you find out if you do continue to search into the topic. :)
MiDread said:
Jesus was referred to as a "Nazerene" because he grew up in Nazereth. That was apparently to fullfil prophecy. Anyone living there was referred to as a "Nazerene." However, there was supposedly at the time a "Nazerite" vow (nothing to do with being a Nazerene) that some would take and under this vow, they were not allowed to drink alcohol (wine), touch a dead body or cut their hair, etc. Jesus did drink wine and touch dead bodies - so from what I can understand, he could not have been under any "Nazerite" vows - at least during his recorded ministry. There may be some question of a vow before he was crucified, but I dont know if it would have given him enough time to have long dreads. Also, after the Nazerite vow was completed, the person was to shave their head. I am familiar with Samson and his dreadlocks - he was a Nazerite from birth along with John the Baptist, but I have NEVER heard of anything in the New Testament describing Jesus and the fact that he had dreadlocks. The verse about him having "hair like wool" sounds to me like it refers to color - "white as wool, as white as snow" not the "kind" of hair he had. I would LOVE to hear about a scripture that specifically states what Jesus looked like, or that he specifically had dreadlocks, but I don't think it exists. Actually, I don't believe there is any detailed physical description of Jesus in the New Testament. Is anyone familiar with one that I could look up?????
said:
What SE is referring to in the Bible is the description of what a nazarite has to do. Not being able to comb one's hair typically leads to dreadlocks. Both Samson and John the Baptist followed this, as did Jesus. (though his 100 days of not brushing aren't described so that probably happened during his lost years because he is referred to as a nazarite so he had to have observed to ritual of one to earn this name)
"A nazirite can groom his hair with his hand or scratch his head and neednt be concerned if some hair falls out. However a nazirite cannot comb his hair since it is a near certainty to pull out some hair. A nazirite is not allowed to use a chemical depilatory that will remove hair.[16] A nazirite that recovers from Tzaraath, a skin disease described in Leviticus 14, is obligated to cut his hair despite being a nazirite."
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Not on the defensive, but VERY upset that I may have offended you!! :o Like I said in my comment to you, when I get really into something - mouth sometimes overrides the common sense area of the brain and being on a forum where you are not face to face with someone, it is terribly easy to sound a way that was totally unintended. LOL! Poor Nic - not a word in edgewise into this conversation Ha-Ha!!! Thanks for answering the friend request. :) Victoria said:
lol! No, I'm wasn't angry or anything. More like tired and aware that I was a little out of my depth on this particular conversation (ie time to bow out and get some sleep). When I get tired I have a tendency to type like I'm a prissy school girl, and it was really late after a long day when I typed my response last night.
I also like knowledge and sharing it so if I happen to run into my Dr friend soon I will ask him what he meant by his statement and what evidence he bases it off of. Until such time, I resign myself to ignorance. *sigh*
I really liked your reply though! I find myself having to defend myself on the internet a lot when I just want to share some knowledge and someone else feels like I'm attacking them.
I had to laugh at the irony that I had unintentionally put someone else on the defensive when I complain about that all the time. lol!

MiDread said:
Sorry! I didn't mean to "correct" you! Hope you are not offended, although I can feel the "bristle" in your typed response LOL! I am not interested in a "debate" either. Just interested in anyone's comments as far as having knowledge of "actual" scripture that describes what Jesus looked like and anything referring to him having dreads!!! I was just sharing what I have come to understand - didn't mean to "school" you and I apologize if I came across that way - it was totally unintended. The only reason I mentioned the "Nazerite" vow is because it appears that a lot of people think being referred to as a "Nazerene" automatically means you were under the vow, which from what I understand is not necessarily so. I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what you were talking about and would welcome any information you have to the contrary of what I have come to understand. I am sure that your PhD. aquaintance is an expert in the field and would have a very good idea of what was common at the time. I have just been led to believe (and have not seen otherwise yet) that there is no real physical description of Jesus - so from what I can tell, people saying he had dreads is not really backed by any proof in the bible. If there is proof or a scripture that refers to this, I would LOVE to read it for myself. There would be nothing cooler than to find out that Jesus actually sported dreads! Hence, my question to SE about where he read or saw or heard that Jesus had dreads!!! It seems that you can never have an honest discussion about religion or Jesus without people "raising the hair on their backs." Please don't be upset with what I said. I am not trying to "instigate" or "upset" or "teach" anyone. I am simply interested and wanted to share what I was aware of - right OR wrong!!!! :)

page=1&commentId=3754945%3AComment%3A92155&x=1#3754945Comment92155">
I stand corrected, I guess. Of course, Jesus is never really physically described in the Bible and I got the theory that Jesus may have been a nazerite (And yes, I did mean nazarite and not nazerene. I do know the difference), not from the Bible but from a history professor who has a PhDs in the Bible and Roman history. I assumed he was reasonably knowledgeable on the matter as he does have PhDs in the subject, but clearly this is just a theory and I don't know the details that support it.
Of course, I shouldn't have spoken about a matter that I only have passing familiarity with so I yield to your more thorough knowledge as I have no inclination to debate further on the matter.
Enjoy the rest of you evening though! I would be curious to see what you find out if you do continue to search into the topic. :)
MiDread said:
Jesus was referred to as a "Nazerene" because he grew up in Nazereth. That was apparently to fullfil prophecy. Anyone living there was referred to as a "Nazerene." However, there was supposedly at the time a "Nazerite" vow (nothing to do with being a Nazerene) that some would take and under this vow, they were not allowed to drink alcohol (wine), touch a dead body or cut their hair, etc. Jesus did drink wine and touch dead bodies - so from what I can understand, he could not have been under any "Nazerite" vows - at least during his recorded ministry. There may be some question of a vow before he was crucified, but I dont know if it would have given him enough time to have long dreads. Also, after the Nazerite vow was completed, the person was to shave their head. I am familiar with Samson and his dreadlocks - he was a Nazerite from birth along with John the Baptist, but I have NEVER heard of anything in the New Testament describing Jesus and the fact that he had dreadlocks. The verse about him having "hair like wool" sounds to me like it refers to color - "white as wool, as white as snow" not the "kind" of hair he had. I would LOVE to hear about a scripture that specifically states what Jesus looked like, or that he specifically had dreadlocks, but I don't think it exists. Actually, I don't believe there is any detailed physical description of Jesus in the New Testament. Is anyone familiar with one that I could look up?????
said:
Nic Sullivan
@nic-sullivan
14 years ago
47 posts
Lol I'm really glad i posted this thank you both i learned a lot!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form