Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help me keep my dreads!

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

So essentially you wanted support to do what you were going to do anyways? In the realm of life, experience etc., that isn't the way to go about life. If your intention was to just to id and say , "To hell with my parents!" don't ask for help or advice.

updated by @javalizard: 07/23/15 06:59:02AM
jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
11 years ago
175 posts

well it is your hair your body your life your decision i know plenty of people ive meet online with awesome jobs an have dreads..all over the world.. even jobs that they have to wear suits and things. you just will have to find your place an be among understanding open minded caring people an if you are than apperance and have a spieituality wont matter to them in the least soo just becasue they dont agree with your choice to change ur hair style an your life, dont mean ypou are wrong or a bad person, oh by the way there are plenty of others in england with dreads just to ease ur mind a lil. here where i live ive only ever my life saw 3-5 people have dreads lol so im a straight out outcast haha i dont give a shit ither. same with my tattoos and things. i am smart about it tho lol. i hate hoe society forces us to act, think, live, an even how we look and be!! its just not right. we have one live and we have to find who we are an establish who we want to be in this life a purpose and have a foundation for our won happiness and success. no matter what u want for yourself an ur life is not important really if u want it bad enough u will finad the means and ways to be and do what you want and who u want to be.:D i used to be soo passive and let people boss me and tell me who to be and what to do, it got me nowhere but down the lowest feeling an worset situations possible, since ive changed all that myself and stayied strong and went on a journey to find who i am an where i want to go and who i want to work on becoming, real me, i have since gained soo much luv an peace and happiness, its the lil things that matter, and never forget who i am me deep inside. goodluck and hope u can talka ll to ur parents about real meaning of living an life and the beauty of being who u are and beauty of each undvidual person is most important not wat we look like. but in my opinon dreads r beautiful, a signification of leadership iin some countrys and holyness. it is beautiful becasue we are stripping a perfection look away from us, we kno that trying to be soo perfect is very harmful to us and our minds and even harm others by making them think they have to be perfect and be an look certain way to be truely beautiful is not true. i could go on an on but be a even bigger book to read hahaha if wanna tlk another time feel free too :D good luck take care peace an luv be with u along this journey to dreads an life journey:D~~jazzymomma

Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

Mike, sorry if I offended you. Tht was not what I wanted to mean. I just wanted to know how to "compromise" but keep my dreads...

Thanks for your message jazzymomma, exactly how I feel!

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts
I'm not offended just wasted time. I agree with what you want. And j azzymomna. But you are a minor living at home. You don't work etc.. I've been working with high school kids for 12 years. One thing I have learned is that kids have this profound sense of entitlement. Yes it is your hair your body, but not your house not you paying bills, you are still limited on what you want. Part of growing up is realizing how to function. I know it is a horrible idea to honor your parents, but you should. You don't like your peers disrespecting you, do why is it acceptable to do it to your parents.Seriously the best compromise is to do things to prove you are maturing, not doing what you are going to do regardless. Like I suggested doing things around the house. A simple if I can prove that I am responsible regardless of my hair for two months then allow me dreads. I gave you things to compromise but you just say you are going to do what you are going to do. It is that maturity thing coming into play. You want your parents to respect you then do things that will give them cause to. When you move out and provide for yourself do what you want. But if you want your parents to approve then act accordingly and realize you mighty not get what you want.
Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

First of all I have to say I cant stand anything related to school. Work is fine (I mean as in a job, not school work!). I done work experience a couple of years ago, the lady was overwhelmed, I suprised myself how good I was (without being too big headed!), I know I can work well. My dad needs me as much as I need him. He doesnt speak any french, I'm usually the one phoning up old cars for sale, translating. I'm the one who helps him lift heavy car bodies on a worktable for him to work on. Of course, I need him (and my mum too of course! She doesnt mind as much for the dreads, but still is against them), he lets me use his tools in the garage, andf of course he does normal parent things! (shelter, food, etc...)

I do not want to work on modern cars, I would like to work on classic cars (my dad does, but he doesnt do the bodywork, and cannot really train me (he can but I wont get any "diploma" unlike apprenticeships).

D
@d
11 years ago
1 posts

Yeah gotta agree with everyone else as much as it pains me. Their house their rules. No exceptions really.

My mom was the same way, I wanted to get dreadlocks when I was your age. She wasn't having it. She thought they were gross and made you look like a bum.

20 years later I'm on my second journey and shocker, my mom has dreads now.

So deal with it for now and take solace in the fact that peoples' minds can change and perhaps later on your parents will be accepting of them.

Jonathan Poll
@jonathan-poll
11 years ago
31 posts

euh ,aybe but I doubt it lol

I would love to do an apprenticeship in the UK, but first of all I need to get accepted lol

My dad told me earlier I have to comb my hair today or I dont get to use his garage anymore. I told him fine but I won't help lifting cars then (I'm serious). He hasnt said anything about my dreads since, I think it's sort of working. I see no reason how dreads can bother him that much, but I'll soon find out if he's ended up "letting it go".

JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

Jonathan you have been given tons of wisdom, and are still choosing your own path. I really do hope in the future you will be able to gain wisdom and insight from people who have gone the road before you. Some great ideas here about ways to work and prove yourself as a man to your dad. You conceded to combing your hair but then act juvenile and saying you won't help him anymore. Doesn't help. Doesn't work that way. My son would be soon short of all his needs with an attitude like that. But all men appreciate when a young man steps up and wants to act like a man, even if they don't approve of their choices.

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Okay, now for a completely different view on this situation...

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, Jonathan. I grew up in a conservative household, and it seemed like everything I did/tried to do for the sake of being happy/finding myself went against my parents' expectations. To make a very long story short, they had certain, very specific plans for my life, and said plans had NOTHING to do with what I wanted (or might have eventually wanted) out of life. Consequently, I was very depressed (as in self-harming and suicidal, yeah that kind of depression) up until I graduated high school. Because of my parents, I missed out on some opportunities that will probably never open themselves up again, and I really regret it.

One thing that really, REALLY pisses me off is when I see parents stifling their kids' individuality for the sake of their own ideals. Childhood is probably *the* most opportune time to "find oneself," and if parents (or anyone else, really) f%^& it up, that could negatively impact the child for the rest of their life.

I say stand up for your dreads, dude. I know there's a lot at stake, and I won't think *any* less of you if you decide not to, but I just hate to see people putting their aspirations aside just because other people don't agree with them.

updated by @laura-earle: 07/16/15 03:43:03PM
NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

I haven't read all the comments, all I have to say is I was in the exact same place you are... The only way I was able to keep them was by using resistance really... which isn't exactly the greatest thing to do, and I hope that your parents become more understanding. Through time my parents have slowly been getting ok with it... I am 17. The main thing that bothers them now is my beard.. hahaha :D But yeah, other than that, you and I are veerrry similar in terms of happenings. My dad was ok with me growing out my hair but wanted me to comb it, and my mom didn't like the idea at all to begin with but it grew on her much faster. Now both of my parents still don't love it, but they have learned to accept it as part of who I am. Honestly, it is up to you what you do. I just hope you don't have to go through fighting with your parents as they progress lol.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form