Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads lost from retwisting

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

wouldnt twist em together twistings causing the thinning i would just let em combine by niot seperatimg or put a bead over 2 or hemp wrap em together

jojojaba is good just dont overuse or it might clog pores

i think your best bet is stop twisting entirely kleave em alone several months to thicken up let the in danger ones congo the ones strong enough just seperae as needed

addig teatree and rosemary to the jojoba (use jojoba as a carrier) will help the scalp alot

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/18/15 09:21:57AM
Dreadheadbutterfly!
@dreadheadbutterfly
13 years ago
35 posts
ok its gonna b hard not retwisting cause imma girl of course i like to do my hair lol but if thats what it takes then im done retwistin til september maybe longer
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ea i see the thinning and breakimg alot in ppl who twist every 3 months ..i wouldnt ever recomend retwisting ever..

some of the harm it can do can be permenant scalp trauma that causes bald spots ..

just use the ripping aka popping method of keepinmg them seperated

and about the roots ..if yu waited just a few weeks longer theyd dread themselves ..its right about the length that u start noticing and being bothered by it that it dreads on its own..

Dreadheadbutterfly! said:

and no i dont interlock and i had retwisted maybe two months at a time

soaringeagle said:

mean u hadnt retwisted in almost a year?

how often were u b4 that

ushouldnt retwist at all but once a year shouldnt cause breakage unless they were real thin and weak ..u never interlocked right? and when u combined u just let them combinee u didnt shove 1 through the others roots?

hmm i thought it was clearly from twisting too much but now not so sure unless they were so weak from a year ago..

if u hadnt twisted in a year u can edit the title back and maybe should get panterras input

umm u do moisturize enough that they wouldnt be brittle from being dry and no chemical treatments i assume?

--
Dreadheadbutterfly!
@dreadheadbutterfly
13 years ago
35 posts
i retwisted the last week of march not may sorry

soaringeagle said:

or did u retwist last week of march not may if so yea that makes sense thats exactly why they broke

even 4 times a years too much

monthly is gonna do alotta harm

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

ea 1 month ago thats pretty often especialy as ppl who do it one every 3 months still have issues id really recomend not at all at ery least give em a good 6 months to grow and heal then ifg u twist (i wouldnt) your at least twisting strong healthy roots

Dreadheadbutterfly! said:

i retwisted the last week of march not may sorry

soaringeagle said:

or did u retwist last week of march not may if so yea that makes sense thats exactly why they broke

even 4 times a years too much

monthly is gonna do alotta harm

--
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

you can use product to get a neater look, but you can still style without retwisting, if that's what you meant by I'm a girl. This is just my personal opinion, but I actually don't think that the "I can see your entire scalp" look that twisting gives you even looks good. If my hair looked like that I'd wear a hat everywhere I went lol

Yeah, twisting is soo bad, because it causes stress which thins your dreads, and then they break off. A lot of black, mixed, whatever people over twist their hair and it gets so so thin and breaks off. And then they'll be like 'well so and so twists their hair every month and they've had their dreads forever.' some people can twist and twist and twist and not lose dreads because of their hair type, but I wouldn't risk it.

Instead of twisting, just separate. Once a week, twice a month, whatever just pull your dreads apart when you get out of the showere so you don't get congos. It's actually a lot easier and faster than twisting. Learn to love your roots, they are beautiful.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
nooooooooooooooooo thats interlocking one of the worse things you can do! never do that

jameela bailey said:
yes i had this problem too i used to retwist 3 times a weak, and my dreads were kind of thinning so i stopped and decided to use olive oil only (not to retwist just to put in) but yea you dont have to go to a locktician?? i dont know what tht is but just use olive oil or there is a video on youtube were this girl is talking about how to let your roots of your dreads get thicker or let them stay, you take your dread and you put it through the hairs at the root and keep doing that until its firm and secure, thats how my roots got tighter and thicker.

--
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts
Before I even write this I know that SE is going to disagree with me but I'm gonna say it anyway. I don't think interlocking is that bad. At least not for afro-textured hair. I certainly wouldn't recommend it, and even if i did, I'd say do it like MAYBE twice a year, but my cousin has long gorgeous dreads that he has had for 14 years (actually, might be longer than that), and he interlocks occasionally. A LOT of ppl with afro-textured hair interlock once in a while, usually out of convenience and don't lose their dreads. I think with afro-textured hair you can get away with more, but ANYTHING you do to your hair is bad if you do it too much.

soaringeagle said:
nooooooooooooooooo thats interlocking one of the worse things you can do! never do that

jameela bailey said:
yes i had this problem too i used to retwist 3 times a weak, and my dreads were kind of thinning so i stopped and decided to use olive oil only (not to retwist just to put in) but yea you dont have to go to a locktician?? i dont know what tht is but just use olive oil or there is a video on youtube were this girl is talking about how to let your roots of your dreads get thicker or let them stay, you take your dread and you put it through the hairs at the root and keep doing that until its firm and secure, thats how my roots got tighter and thicker.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

its true african hair survives the abuse more but..more ppl with african hair have lost dreads due to interlocking cause they do it far far more often

it has always been known to be 1 of the worse things u can do (besides felting and perhaps dread perms felting is by far the worse dread perms and interlocking are probable fairly equal some have satisfactory results some have devestating results)

tbhe whole idea beghind interlocking makes no sense at all though

Lu A said:

Before I even write this I know that SE is going to disagree with me but I'm gonna say it anyway. I don't think interlocking is that bad. At least not for afro-textured hair. I certainly wouldn't recommend it, and even if i did, I'd say do it like MAYBE twice a year, but my cousin has long gorgeous dreads that he has had for 14 years (actually, might be longer than that), and he interlocks occasionally. A LOT of ppl with afro-textured hair interlock once in a while, usually out of convenience and don't lose their dreads. I think with afro-textured hair you can get away with more, but ANYTHING you do to your hair is bad if you do it too much.

soaringeagle said:

jameela bailey said:

--
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts
I totally agree, but I feel like sometimes you scare people with the way you put things. Your dreads won't fall out if you interlock, just if you over do it, which granted is easy to over do. Same as twisting. I don't twist or interlock because I like my fuzzy roots, but if you ARE doing, keep it to once every four months or less and you'll be fine. Average hair growth is 1/2 an inch a month so in four months your hair grows two inches. if your dreads are mature, they are dreading at a rate slightly less than that, so even at four months you would only have an inch or so of undreaded hair at the root. You don't need to be doing it anymore than that. and your hair won't learn to dread on its own if you don't let it.

soaringeagle said:

its true african hair survives the abuse more but..more ppl with african hair have lost dreads due to interlocking cause they do it far far more often

it has always been known to be 1 of the worse things u can do (besides felting and perhaps dread perms felting is by far the worse dread perms and interlocking are probable fairly equal some have satisfactory results some have devestating results)

tbhe whole idea beghind interlocking makes no sense at all though

Lu A said:

soaringeagle said:

jameela bailey said:

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form