dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Too much sebum/ scalp grease.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

good suggestions 

the extreme ammopunt its pumping out i thought was a reaction to something    but might just need to find your groove 

the liquid might be agrevating it because its trying toi dry the scalp and hair out and the scalps panicing so  trying the bars might be a good solution

and..give it time to adjust

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
mg1134
@mg1134
6 years ago
12 posts

@p3rmaam I've tried washing with just water but I'm far too greasy for that. All the grease just runs down into my dreads, sticks there and loosens them up.

@j-welsh I have Vicki's shampoo. Tea tree and the dragon's blood. I know for a lot of you it's the holy grail of dread shampoos but for me it's worthless. I can't get it to wash out of my hair fully when I use it for some reason and it's never helped with the grease problem for me.

In fact, I don't think another shampoo is the answer. I have 11 shampoos/ soaps sitting on my desk right now and the result is the same with all of them. Bars, liquid, doesn't matter. It's even the same with just water rinses.
My last wash was a day ago with a tea tree and jojoba oil bar that was recommended to me (desert essence) in just distilled water from the store (no shower water) and I'm sitting here feeling my scalp secrete sebum and scrapping it off after a day.

It's looking like my only options are cut them off or sit and watch this grease unknot them back to normal hair.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

consult a dermantologist this is something unhealthy ballancewise in youir body..body chemistry..

even WebMD if you dont have insurance..

its seeming like something medical and cutting will not really solve it

check your body ph 21st offf

reduce acidy foods

i think its more internal then exyternal (even a medicine side effect)

--
JT
@j-welsh
6 years ago
42 posts

So this came to me at work today. When you have long unlocked hair, your scalp is producing the amount of oil that it needs. Your scalp slowly adjusts this amount as your hair grows. So when your hair is short it produces however much oil and as it grows it slowly adjusts that amount. 

If you are to lock up naturally or slowly, your scalp oil will adjust slowly to the needs of your hair and scalp naturally. If you are to lock up quickly, like crochet or other quick procedure, your scalp will still produce the same amount of oil as it was unlocked. your scalp will produce that same amount for however long until it finally gets to the proper amount, or until you shave your head because you can't take it anymore. 

So in other words, your scalp is producing the amount of oil it needs for longer unlocked hair and not the amount it needs for locked hair.

This is the thought process I had today. Seems to make sense to me.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

well your scalps unaware of your hair being locked, or not, just the scalps desire for more oil if its dry,. but its also true that more acidic the body chemistry the more oils produced. pores left wide open pump out more oils..i would guess pores  clogged or wioth high bacteria might also..trying to cleanse it out (my thought processes at the moment)

this seems like a lot, and, extra thick. waxy.. i would really like to get a medical opinion if theres indsurance

--
mg1134
@mg1134
6 years ago
12 posts

I don't have insurance but I'm trying to raise some cash to get in to see a doctor but at this point I'm nearing the end of my rope and my will to be over this goddamn nightmare is outweighing how badly I want to lock up. It's been three months since the grease became super bad and my dreads are literally as loose and shitty as they were in the first month. All my progress is gone and I look like a complete idiot and smell like stinky hair constantly despite the fact that I wash my hair often. NOTHING works. Not changing diet, shampoos, water, etc.

Yesterday I decided to do a deep cleanse soak and after 2.5 hrs and three bowl changes I got a majority of the grease build up out of the dreads and off my scalp. They felt great and clean and dry and I told myself this is going to work and they're going to be alright now. NOPE! A day later and my scalp is oozing this fucking sebum back out and they're a greasy, soggy mess again. It's even worse now because they were loosened up a lot from the soak and the grease is doing even more unknotting. My scalp smells nasty and it's only been a fucking day. Even normal washing is worthless. This grease is so thick and impossible to rinse out. It swallows up shampoo and I have to use twice as much as I should to even get a lather. I can't deep soak them every day.

Back when they were alright I used to have to separate them every morning from sticking together. None of them have even slightly stuck together in the last three months because they're constantly soggy.
I'm literally at a loss for what to do... I've wanted to lock up so badly for such a long time and don't want to give up but I'm so sick of feeling this nasty and unclean.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

wait..baking soda deep cleanse?

that is likely the cause  are you still dopimg them how often

its really harsh.. your scalps probably in survival mode think have you been doing them for the past many months off and on?

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

i think your shocking your scalp.. i think its in survival rebellion mode. 

lets not worry about looseness right now

what shamppos do u have from dls only liquid do u have the charcoal/ or any bars

i have a hunch and i think its worth 3-4 weeks .. i think the charcoal every so many washes maybe 4 at 1st then 6.. ..i wish there was a thyme  bar.. hmm i got an idea..ok.. temporarily.. find an herb shop online or otherwise (online i use mountain something rose.. if you find the post on essential oils in featured its in there 1st 1)

so brew a strong thyme tea wet hair well with water  but then as your washing pour the thyme tea over (hotish) slowly to get a good lather. you dont have to use a whole lot of soap just work it into your scalp and roots rinse.. repeat.. ive never repeated but often wanted to haha i know most shampoos tell you to, but who ever has?) 

but for you 1st few washes i would..just to be good and  clean

rinse really cold  well you should start out whatever's comfortable to get the oils out but get progressively colder

next.. lil and i mean very lil jojoba oil in cold cold water pour over scalp even maybe massage it in  wait a few min and a lil more cold rinsing

if you gotta do it every other day for 1st week or 2 thats ok

i tghink by 2-3 weeks you'll be ok for 4 days.. 

you might not need to continue that way beyond a month .. lets not worry about progress lost or gained lets figure the scalp out 1st and the rest will work itself out as a result..

maybe the herbal bars worth trying not sure what the blend is

but charcoal every 4 or so then every 6 or so washes then ..whenever u feels right 

i think the jojoba on the scalp that i think maybe in shock  might settle it down thyme should also help regulate the oil production.

i know some of the worlds top horologists we can consult as well. 

i would steer away from the baking soda if thats what you did.. 

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

hmm good call i hadn't seen that he was vegan. i have been vegetarian like 38 years or something but not full on vegan (leaning more that way though) 

thats something we all missed and i'm happy that even after all these years theres still more to learn

thanks!

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

i know :) most locticians act like they got a liscence so they can't possibly learn anything from anyone ever again.

but i am always learning new things, and then able to pass them on. ..when i started all i knew was "throw away the comb' that was it, nothing more at all

everything else ive learned was from the community, either what works, or, what should be avoided.

i never stop learning and would never have the arrogance to claim i know everything.. this, for instance was a case where i was using my best guesses based on all i learned, and even our best experts, 1 with almost 4 decades in hair care, couldn't figure it out

i was strongly leaning towards body chemistry, but never even considered being vegan might be the cause (and missed that in the discussion)

--

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form