Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Nature and dreadlocks

Apollo
@apollo
15 years ago
80 posts
Thank you...i dont want people falling for my mistake which was the backcombing which was something i will always regret Vaccine said:
yea if i knew about this site i wouldn't have backcombed. :/ just two weeks after backcombing i heard from you SE and you have saved me from the wax!!! :) thanks for everything by the way!

but, it's was just a quick solution for dreads, you know? people that don't wanna wait i suppose backcomb. its silly, starting to think about it. natural is the way to go! :)

updated by @apollo: 07/03/15 04:56:34AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
your missing the point.. untill dreadheadhq and knottyboy popularized making dreads all dreads were natural...as dreads should belets look at the history and religios backgrounds.. no metal be it tooth of comb, or blade of razor should touch the headto go ungroomed witout caring for societies demands was concidered holy..dreads from the beginning of time grew naturaly and beautifuly...its not tat he regrets the dreads..he regrets being lied to to being conned into creatting someting tat happens naturalyand he regrets being robbed of the experience of allowing nature to take control

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
I pretty much have to agree with Alive all the way on this one,and backcombing as a method has a place in dreadlocks, even tho I started mine that way (and now prefer T&R as a method)other than that, which reason apollo do you regret backcombing?because you were robbed of the natural experience?the damage?or the popular methods pushed by online information out there?other than that lol no need to get so defensive, you make yourself look like a child by reacting so.especially when you can tell Alive wasn't judging, merely stating an observation where at which point all you had to do was reply accordingly.also Other than that realize backcombing still is a solution to those unable to go through the initial natural period where your hair looks messy to some,(Not saying this was my case I simply just didn't know enough about locks at the time and it seemed like according to the bad info out there backcombing was THE way to start them and I woulda thought at first that natural dreadlocks didn't always form right which I now know to be untrue)What I do mean by this is not everyone has to be robbed of the experience with backcombed locks, I myself don't see cutting/conditioning them to start over, not when I've still become overjoyed with how it's gone so far. But If I had known a year ago I woulda started them differently.Next time I see someone who asks me about starting locks I'll make sure they understand that first, if they still wanna backcomb, then that's totally cool and acceptable to me,anyway man, what a night I needa pass out now !!!!!!!!!!1111
lolf
@lolf
14 years ago
8 posts
Lied to? Conned into? No...Man, THIS is making me crazy reading all of this right now.The reason i wanted to start my dreads were because of my friends beautiful locks. He started his about 2 and a half years ago with the backcombing method and are probably the "best" looking locks i have ever seen. No, it is not because they have a "factory" look...or whatever ya'll like to call that. It's because he was the first person i ever talked to about the spiritual journey of dreadlocks. Backcomb or not, who gives a damn? Factory or not...who...gives...a...DAMN. It's what your thinking about and what you feel inside. He talked to me about natural and backcomb and the pros and cons. I stuck with backcombing, is that such a problem? They unravel...ok, i've never had that problem, But even if they do unravel...Their going to lock up ANYWAYS, isnt that what the goal was in the first place?Its all depends on the person. When someone asks me to backcomb their hair i give them all the information on natural and backcombing, and i've had an equal amount of choices on that.Im sorry to hear you "regret" your hair so much, but thats your fault. You dont need to regret it, people have different views. And you have your own.
lolf
@lolf
14 years ago
8 posts
Amen. AliveAsTheDead said:
I can't help but feel that some of our peers here are very impressionable. I don't think it's SoaringEagle's intent, but I predict this site with eventually be anti back comb. Through his charisma, and cool dreads, he's making people who already back combed(without harsh wax damage in most cases) feel less cool or regret back combing....which is totally sorry in my opinion. SE has a bias, which is what these kids don't realize. Of course he'll slander and knock back combing all he can, the only thing he knows about back combing are knotty boy and DHHQ and the encouraged use of their products BY THEM, THE COMPANIES.... the saddest part is, you don't even have to get and use their stuff to back comb!
Personally, I wasn't ignorant to the neglect method when I started; My twin brother has had long hair for years now, and at one point didn't brush it, so of course, dreads started coming in. I CHOSE back comb, because not being African American or possesing their hair type, my three inch hair wouldn't form with the neglect method. My dilemma was simple; Wait another so many months for my hair to be long enough to start knoting. Or do the back comb, have silly looking little dreads, that would be well established by the time they got long. I obviously chose the latter. So often on the web I see back combers who say things like "OMG, I'm so in regret...my next dreads will be neglect all the way :D" and I just think to myself "So wait a minute, they don't plan on keeping the ones they have already?" My dreads, which have been started by backcombing, are here to stay.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ya think they are? ive never ever seen backcombed dreads last all that long..possibly 7 yearsmost backcombers are already on theyre 2nd 3rd 4th sets before they are old enough to drink legaly\you guys are just acting all defensive who the hhell cares if e regrets backcombing and would go natural next time? you do because thats just further proof that natural is a superiur methodyou get deffensive because it makes you feel yoiurs are inferiur\but thats not te point ..the point is dreads..by definition..by tradition..by the very nature of dreads..should be natural should connect you to the natural rythem of life..backcombing is not natural..in any wayits a slap in the face to traditional dreading..an insult to the very nature of te dreaddreads are spiritual, whether you dread for spiritual reasons or not, they become spiritualso imagine for a second you slowly drift from athiest to rasta and when you find yourself there realize your dreads were started in blasphemy..the direct opposite of what your belief commandsthere are so many legit reasons to regret backcombing yet when 1 person regrets it you all start to cry like babies like his regret directly hurts you...the only way thats possible is if you secretly regret too

--
lolf
@lolf
14 years ago
8 posts
So....your saying that I am slapping Dreadlocks in the face because i backcombed and knew nothing of the natural method at that time? Perfect. Good. That makes TOTAL sense.Im just saying, people have their own inspiration. And it looks like he was inspired by his friend for the natural method, as was i for backcombing. And combining the new inspiration against the old, well here you have regret...no?Now, as to backcombers having 3 and 4 sets....that would be THEIR PERSONAL WANTS, correct?This is my first set, and i PLAN (keyword) on keeping them for as long as possible. No, i am not of legal drinking age yet, but between now and then i will have many obstacles in my way. Jobs, society, family. All of those branching off into its own set of obstacles, and so on and so on. Maybe in 7 years i will find a job that requires me to cut my locks off. And if thats the way it needs to be...then thats the way its going to be.You have had yours for 19 something years, i know this SE. But look at the lifestyle you live (I dont know much, im not judging, i am just saying) its allowed you to have those beautiful locks for many many many years. Who are you to say this is not a spiritual journey for me? It IS, and always will be for as long as i have my dreadlocks.Your dreadlocks are your dreadlocks, your journey is YOUR journey, no matter how you got started on that journey. soaringeagle said:
ya think they are? ive never ever seen backcombed dreads last all that long..possibly 7 years
most backcombers are already on theyre 2nd 3rd 4th sets before they are old enough to drink legaly\ you guys are just acting all defensive who the hhell cares if e regrets backcombing and would go natural next time? you do because thats just further proof that natural is a superiur method you get deffensive because it makes you feel yoiurs are inferiur\but thats not te point ..the point is dreads..by definition..by tradition..by the very nature of dreads..should be natural should connect you to the natural rythem of life..backcombing is not natural..in any wayits a slap in the face to traditional dreading..an insult to the very nature of te dreaddreads are spiritual, whether you dread for spiritual reasons or not, they become spiritualso imagine for a second you slowly drift from athiest to rasta and when you find yourself there realize your dreads were started in blasphemy..the direct opposite of what your belief commandsthere are so many legit reasons to regret backcombing yet when 1 person regrets it you all start to cry like babies like his regret directly hurts you...the only way thats possible is if you secretly regret too
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well now your getting close to understanding the regretyour 1st sentence..because you knew nothing of the natural method at the time....and why not? all dreads only 10 years ago were natural..nobody ever heard of backcombing..nobody would dare since it was the opposite of everything dreads stood for..but now..its spread around that backcombing is thhe only way..a must and natural dreads are almost demonized as being gross ugly smellly dirty caveman dreads..(all done by product pushers)so yes he feels conned into dreads that were the opposite ofh what they shoukld be.. Jared Smith said:
So....your saying that I am slapping Dreadlocks in the face because i backcombed and knew nothing of the natural method at that time? Perfect. Good. That makes TOTAL sense.

Im just saying, people have their own inspiration. And it looks like he was inspired by his friend for the natural method, as was i for backcombing. And combining the new inspiration against the old, well here you have regret...no?

Now, as to backcombers having 3 and 4 sets....that would be THEIR PERSONAL WANTS, correct?

This is my first set, and i PLAN (keyword) on keeping them for as long as possible. No, i am not of legal drinking age yet, but between now and then i will have many obstacles in my way. Jobs, society, family. All of those branching off into its own set of obstacles, and so on and so on. Maybe in 7 years i will find a job that requires me to cut my locks off. And if thats the way it needs to be...then thats the way its going to be.

You have had yours for 19 something years, i know this SE. But look at the lifestyle you live (I dont know much, im not judging, i am just saying) its allowed you to have those beautiful locks for many many many years. Who are you to say this is not a spiritual journey for me? It IS, and always will be for as long as i have my dreadlocks.

Your dreadlocks are your dreadlocks, your journey is YOUR journey, no matter how you got started on that journey.

soaringeagle said:
ya think they are? ive never ever seen backcombed dreads last all that long..possibly 7 years
most backcombers are already on theyre 2nd 3rd 4th sets before they are old enough to drink legaly\ you guys are just acting all defensive who the hhell cares if e regrets backcombing and would go natural next time? you do because thats just further proof that natural is a superiur method you get deffensive because it makes you feel yoiurs are inferiur\
but thats not te point ..the point is dreads..by definition..by tradition..by the very nature of dreads..should be natural should connect you to the natural rythem of life..
backcombing is not natural..in any way
its a slap in the face to traditional dreading..an insult to the very nature of te dread

dreads are spiritual, whether you dread for spiritual reasons or not, they become spiritual
so imagine for a second you slowly drift from athiest to rasta and when you find yourself there realize your dreads were started in blasphemy..the direct opposite of what your belief commands

there are so many legit reasons to regret backcombing yet when 1 person regrets it you all start to cry like babies like his regret directly hurts you...the only way thats possible is if you secretly regret too

--
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
14 years ago
155 posts
I think people that backcomb want faster results, in the beginning they are constantly wondering what to do to make them look better, and are looking in the mirror every 20 minutes. I do feel like backcombers do it for vanity. Natural is pure patience its like a ugly duckling turning into a swan type thing. I bet after cutting a 3 year old set you would feel naked, unrecognized, maybe even dealing with a loss of identity not mentally, but the way people percieve you in public cause now your just like every other normal conformist person. I don't like marching bands I'll go beat my own drum.
lolf
@lolf
14 years ago
8 posts
Son of a....I typed a whole response to this and i accidently click the back button. Perrrrfect, =p.Well, i guess all im trying to say is, do your locks how you want to do your locks.Backcombing got me started, but the rest is you.One person gets their backcombed, which leads to another and to another, and to another.I dont think theres much you can do but accept it. Oh well, they got their hair started by backcombing. As long as there's not a bunch of random shit in your hair (dread peppa, wax, etc)The times have changed, obviously, since 10 years ago. (if everybody really did have natural dreads up until 10 years ago...which i really really really doubt.) soaringeagle said:
well now your getting close to understanding the regret
your 1st sentence..because you knew nothing of the natural method at the time....and why not? all dreads only 10 years ago were natural..nobody ever heard of backcombing..nobody would dare since it was the opposite of everything dreads stood for..but now..its spread around that backcombing is thhe only way..a must and natural dreads are almost demonized as being gross ugly smellly dirty caveman dreads..(all done by product pushers)so yes he feels conned into dreads that were the opposite ofh what they shoukld be.. Jared Smith said:
So....your saying that I am slapping Dreadlocks in the face because i backcombed and knew nothing of the natural method at that time? Perfect. Good. That makes TOTAL sense.

Im just saying, people have their own inspiration. And it looks like he was inspired by his friend for the natural method, as was i for backcombing. And combining the new inspiration against the old, well here you have regret...no?Now, as to backcombers having 3 and 4 sets....that would be THEIR PERSONAL WANTS, correct?This is my first set, and i PLAN (keyword) on keeping them for as long as possible. No, i am not of legal drinking age yet, but between now and then i will have many obstacles in my way. Jobs, society, family. All of those branching off into its own set of obstacles, and so on and so on. Maybe in 7 years i will find a job that requires me to cut my locks off. And if thats the way it needs to be...then thats the way its going to be.You have had yours for 19 something years, i know this SE. But look at the lifestyle you live (I dont know much, im not judging, i am just saying) its allowed you to have those beautiful locks for many many many years. Who are you to say this is not a spiritual journey for me? It IS, and always will be for as long as i have my dreadlocks.Your dreadlocks are your dreadlocks, your journey is YOUR journey, no matter how you got started on that journey. soaringeagle said:
most backcombers are already on theyre 2nd 3rd 4th sets before they are old enough to drink legaly\ you guys are just acting all defensive who the hhell cares if e regrets backcombing and would go natural next time? you do because thats just further proof that natural is a superiur method you get deffensive because it makes you feel yoiurs are inferiur\
but thats not te point ..the point is dreads..by definition..by tradition..by the very nature of dreads..should be natural should connect you to the natural rythem of life.. backcombing is not natural..in any wayits a slap in the face to traditional dreading..an insult to the very nature of te dreaddreads are spiritual, whether you dread for spiritual reasons or not, they become spiritualso imagine for a second you slowly drift from athiest to rasta and when you find yourself there realize your dreads were started in blasphemy..the direct opposite of what your belief commandsthere are so many legit reasons to regret backcombing yet when 1 person regrets it you all start to cry like babies like his regret directly hurts you...the only way thats possible is if you secretly regret too

/ 5

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form