Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Solace of the Solitary

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

"What's spiritual about a totem pole?" Nothing for the average person. For the Native American, however, it has cultural significance.

" Totem poles would not necessarily tell a story so much as it would serve to document stories and histories familiar to community members or particular family or clan members." - http://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/home/culture/totem-poles.html

Other than this it is just a dead tree, which has been carved and painted. In the same manner, the bible is just an old story book.

Dreads have cultural significance to the raised in the rastafari religion. Most of us come to them later in life. As such, we are exempt from this significance. Of course, people may tend to place their own meaning to them. However, I have the distinct feeling that there is abandwagonthat many seem all too willing to jump on. If there were no other posts or indications of spirituality associated with dreading, I'm fairly certain that there would not be so many people reporting spiritual experiences.

I'm a reductionist. As far as I'm concerned, we are not more than the sum of our parts. There may some who do feel that dreads are spiritual, but I'm certain that the human need for acceptance and integration into the social group plays a far greater role in the majority of the spiritual reports.

updated by @kelly3: 07/23/15 12:10:56AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

a tree wether painted and carved or not is a spiritual th8ng

wether you choose to see it that way ot=r not

it seems you have simply closed your mind to the greatter experiences you could have

others report what they experience its not because they feel they should its because they do you dont because you have closed your mind to the possibility of there being anything more to it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you look around the site, not all of the posts were made by the same person. So, there is no bandwagon that people are jumping onen-mass Sure, there are people who claim spirituality when they hear that it's a defense againstdiscriminationin the workplace. But those people are not taken seriously.

Why do you believe that locks only have significance in the Rasta religion? That is very closed minded and it seems like you didn't do your homework when researching the history of locks. Just because the old religions are, for lack of a better word, dead, doesn't mean that people still don't pick and choose what they like to believe about them.

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

I've issued a repost, but it's come up blank...

Adam Kelly said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

that maybe a glitch in the beta feature were testing its random and infrequent so tryung to track down the cause

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sister Rags
@sister-rags
12 years ago
21 posts

This discussion is, in itself, a spiritual discussion. And an excellent one, too.

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

SE, I really must disagree. People carve a multitude of things from trees, which they then place spiritual significance to e.g. crosses, totem poles etc. But no, I do not see them as having any real meaning.

The thing is that the human mind seems to be extremely susceptible to hallucination. We tend to infer significance where there is really none. I, with my completely non spiritual view on things, am not exempt from this. For example, I remember leaving my house, to go running, when it started to rain. On my return, the rain stopped. I thought to myself just my luck, without any consideration for the fact that weather patterns play out without any consideration for my day to day life. This situation could be extended to a horde of various situations, all with the same result. And, it is just a small example of how fallible the human mind really is.

Secondly, my mind is open to new experiences. It just happens that I prefer tangible, concrete experiences, which occur in reality. The whole notion of a spiritual experience really goes against the grain of my personal experience. I actually do not know what is even meant by spiritual experience. Does this have mystical connotations? In order to investigate what is meant by the term, I searched the web. I was continuously confronted with headings such as, God saved me, outer body experience, Angels etc. Do people really get such spiritual experiences from something as simple as letting their hair grow and not brushing it?

Baba, the whole idea of a bandwagon implies the idea that there is more than one person. It is my contention that the more posts there are about spirituality, the more likely it is that there will be more. I mean, how many people start dreading with these notions of spirituality. I bet that there are basically no people who have only seen the DDHQ site who cite spiritual experiences. As I have previously said, it is the human need for acceptance and integration into the social group that is instigating the posts here.

Secondly, I only used Rasta as an example. It is merely the most accessible example which can be used. I never said it was the only one. And, can people really pick and choose what they believe? I mean, I might want to believe in a god, fairies, elves or monsters under the bed, but I cannot as I just dont believe. You dont choose belief. You either believe or you dont.

Sister Rags, this is a discussion about spirituality. How is it in the least bit spiritual?

These are my views. Rational, balanced thinking is what works for me. I believe in scientific exploration and critical thinking, alone. Does this make me close minded? I think not. It is as Richard Feynman once said, Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.

August West2
@august-west2
12 years ago
10 posts

Dreads may not be spiritual to some people, and most may think they are just a hair style, and some may do it to just because they think they are a cool hair style, or to fit in with their hippy friends they met on tour and that's fine, that is their reasons. To me they are spiritual, because my ancestors wore dreads and i'm not a Rasta and at least one person through out the years in my family has carried that on and it brings me closer to where i came from in a world and society where we are very easily able to forget who we are and where we came from. The discrimination i catch and the solitude at times from having dreads in a society that does not really except nor understand them makes me a stronger person and if becoming a stronger, better person from life experiences is not a spiritual experience to some people then so be it, that's their opinion and i respect that, it's a free world.

Peace

Adam Kelly said:

I still don't understand what is so "spiritual". Hair dreads when not brushed.. That is it. It's a natural thing. Why should it have such an impact? Sure, you will have a different public experience. People willautomatically judge you and you will get both positive and negative comments.It is the same with any form of hairstyle. Bowl cut, mullet, mowhawk... Whatever style you may choose.

Maybe you all do have profound internal experiences which change your whole outlook on life, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still just a hairstyle.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Of course people pick and choose what they believe. Look at extreme Christian groups that believe in the death penalty and bomb abortion clinics in the name of saving lives. They pick and choose what they believe. Conservative Christians believe in the 7 deadly sins, but still, Homosexuality (which is never condemned in the bible), is what they choose to talk about the most.

Many people, who study different religions find pieces of them that they do believe, and parts that they don't I don't believe that Jesus was the son of god, but if he was alive, I think he was a really cool guy. I studiedBuddhismand and Hinduism, and Native American religions. I don't believe in there being multiple gods, but I do believe in the main tenants of there religions. How about this, I do believe in Acupuncture, aromatherapy, and herbal therapy, but I don't believe in Rakhi.

We have to find what responds to us. I am an self proclaimed molecular spiritualist. I don't believe in the soul. But I do believe that we are all interconnected. We are all made up of the same 40 amino acids, which are all made up of the same elements. When we die, we will all become linked to one and other.

Spirituality does not have to mean God and angels andastral projection.

Like August, myself, and several others have already said, locks do not have to be spiritual to you. But to some they symbolize their spirituality just like taking communion, or having your Bar/Bat Mitzva.

There is no way of proving that something is spiritual to someone or not. Just like you can't prove the existence or lack-there-of of god. You scientifically can't prove a negative.
So locks don't mean anything more, to you, than a cool hairstyle. But to others they mean more.

/ 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form