Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Solace of the Solitary

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Your most recent ancestors didn't have dreads, and if you go further back they lived in trees. Further again they lived in burrows, and even further in the sea. Why stop at the point where they didn't have combs?

I live in a way that has similar connections to the way my ancestors did. I grow food, keep animals, trap animals and forage for food. But this is not spiritual. its a way of having food to eat.

I really do not understand the spiritual connection with hair.

As social animals, we conform to social norms. Having a particular hairstyle separates you, somewhat, from the group. Why not go against all social norms. Be a racist, rob people in the street, give away your home and yourpossessions, stop washing yourself and kill neighbourhood animals for food. People willundoubtedlyjudge you and you will no longer be a part of the group. This must be the ultimate spiritual experience, right? Or, you could live like a true human, and conform to all the social rules, as youundoubtedlydo to most of them. Would you consider living like this to be spiritual? In reality, it doesn't really matter either way. Hair is hair at the end of the day, no matter how it is styled.

Now, you are right in saying that we all have our own experiences and opinions. All I'm doing is voicing mine.

August West said:

Dreads may not be spiritual to some people, and most may think they are just a hair style, and some may do it to just because they think they are a cool hair style, or to fit in with their hippy friends they met on tour and that's fine, that is their reasons. To me they are spiritual, because my ancestors wore dreads and i'm not a Rasta and at least one person through out the years in my family has carried that on and it brings me closer to where i came from in a world and society where we are very easily able to forget who we are and where we came from. The discrimination i catch and the solitude at times from having dreads in a society that does not really except nor understand them makes me a stronger person and if becoming a stronger, better person from life experiences is not a spiritual experience to some people then so be it, that's their opinion and i respect that, it's a free world.

Peace

updated by @kelly3: 07/23/15 03:32:33PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I appreciate that you have your opinion. We should all have our opinions. It's healthy. If you constantly live up to what society wants you to be, you are no longer your own person. You're anautomaton.

As for living like an asshole... Why would you feel like that would bring a spiritual experience? Robbing people is wrong. It hurts them. So does killing people and animals. There is a point where you have to decide what you want to do and what is damaging to yourself and others. My choice of how I wear my hair does not hurt anyone. I have been able to get any job I interview for, so it doesn't hurt me. If you are capable and kind, people notice that and will want to be around you.

I don't consider living any specific way to be spiritual. People who live intepeesor one room houses may not be any more spiritual than those who live in mansions. But it's why you are doing it that makes the difference. Growing dreadlocks for a style will not all of a sudden bring about spiritual revelations. No one ever claimed it would. But if you are already spiritual and see spirituality wherever you go, you are more likely to find a connection with your locks and your beliefs.

You have to find belief on your own. It can not be handed to you by a religious figure, or a hair style, or a sacrament. It has to already come from inside of you.

If it's not there, it's not there.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

He is very interesting. I have the God Delusion. It's worth a read. He's not a very easy read, but it's very cool. Also, if you haven't read any, check out Steven Pinker and Stephen J Gould

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Sorry Baba, I didnt get a chance to reply to you just yet.

The Christians you cite do not choose to believe this. They are reacting to what they believe. The bible does, in fact, condemn homosexuality.

Leviticus 20:13 - If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable.They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Leviticus 18:22 - Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

In regards to the bombing or abortion clinics and the death penalty, this is again a reaction to what they believe. Why dont they choose not to believe it? For the simple reason, that it is not possible.

You believe in these things (acupuncture, aromatherapy, and herbal therapy)? That is fair enough, but even the slightest bit of investigation would indicate that they do not work. The placebo effect is well documented and easily explains any perceived benefits gained from these.

What are the major tenants of these religions that you believe?

In regards to being a molecular spiritualist, why do you need to add the spirituality to it? I mean, we are all connected by the atoms and genes in our bodies. We share genes and atoms are passed on. In fact, every 7-10 years all the atoms in our bodies are replaced. But, there is no need to invoke spiritual connections to this. It is all perfectly explained by science.

If Spirituality does not have to mean God and angels and astral projections, what does it mean. Even the word spirituality has metaphysical connotations. I really need a clear definition of what you mean when you use the term, because, as far as Im concerned, it has these mystical connotations.

As regards to living like an asshole, its just a way push the boundaries of the ideas at hand. If something as trivial as growing dreads can produce a spiritual experience, for the reasons that it changes the way the people react to you, thus changing you, then living in a way such as this must be like an amplified version of having different looking hair.

You are right; spirituality cannot be handed to you. But, it is quite easy to feign, as I believe it most probably is in a considerable percentage of these posts. If its not there, its not there. But even if it is there, in reality, its actually not (in the definition of spirituality that I have, that is).

B-Bomb, Ive read The Greatest Show on Earth. I would recommend Christopher Hitchens book God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. Really top notch.

August West2
@august-west2
12 years ago
10 posts

My most recent ancestors most certainly had dreads, it's been confirmed by older family members who have passed and some of them had dreads at age 84. my great grandfather had locks when he passed. my family doesn't call them dreads they call them locks. i'm actually the first in my family since the passing of my great grandfather to continue with locks. i've spent time researching and talking to elders in my family about our past. i don't think they would lie, plus their locks prove it. this discussion is going no where i'm backing out of this, i'm not in a mood to defend family nor traditions, spirituality, and why i dread to someone who doesn't really know me nor my family. have great day.

peace
Adam Kelly said:

Your most recent ancestors didn't have dreads, and if you go further back they lived in trees. Further again they lived in burrows, and even further in the sea. Why stop at the point where they didn't have combs?

I live in a way that has similar connections to the way my ancestors did. I grow food, keep animals, trap animals and forage for food. But this is not spiritual. its a way of having food to eat.

I really do not understand the spiritual connection with hair.

As social animals, we conform to social norms. Having a particular hairstyle separates you, somewhat, from the group. Why not go against all social norms. Be a racist, rob people in the street, give away your home and yourpossessions, stop washing yourself and kill neighbourhood animals for food. People willundoubtedlyjudge you and you will no longer be a part of the group. This must be the ultimate spiritual experience, right? Or, you could live like a true human, and conform to all the social rules, as youundoubtedlydo to most of them. Would you consider living like this to be spiritual? In reality, it doesn't really matter either way. Hair is hair at the end of the day, no matter how it is styled.

Now, you are right in saying that we all have our own experiences and opinions. All I'm doing is voicing mine.

August West said:

Dreads may not be spiritual to some people, and most may think they are just a hair style, and some may do it to just because they think they are a cool hair style, or to fit in with their hippy friends they met on tour and that's fine, that is their reasons. To me they are spiritual, because my ancestors wore dreads and i'm not a Rasta and at least one person through out the years in my family has carried that on and it brings me closer to where i came from in a world and society where we are very easily able to forget who we are and where we came from. The discrimination i catch and the solitude at times from having dreads in a society that does not really except nor understand them makes me a stronger person and if becoming a stronger, better person from life experiences is not a spiritual experience to some people then so be it, that's their opinion and i respect that, it's a free world.

Peace

Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

OK, August My bad. Take care.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It depends on the bible you are reading, and the priest you ask to interpret it. Some believe that the bible condemns rape, while other believe that it means homosexuality. I have 3 different bibles at home, and none of them phrase it the same way.

I add the word "spiritualist" because I am. I do believe that something greater than us is connecting everyhing together. No, not a god. Not even a single, all-powerful entity. I agree that something that has influence over us is not plausible. But unlike you, I don't think that we have no control over our thoughts and actions. You say that they believe it because that's just the way it is, and that they can't not believe it, because that's just the way it is. I don't accept that.

People are not bad because they are wired that way due to their genetic code. We can change. We are Homo Sapiens. Self aware. A nervous animal does not have the cognitive functions to change itself. Sure, you can train it. But if you let up on the training regiment, it goes back to being it's old self. If a person wants to change, and really puts their mind to it, they can.

Western medicine and studies have proven that alternative medicine is false. But it's been used for thousands of years. if it didn't work, they would have stopped using it. American studies still claim that Weed does not help cancer and AIDS patients. But European studies prove otherwise. Science can be flawed. I would know. I'm in school for biology. In multiple years new finding have come out, and I had to relearn something that was taken for granted. You can't even site a journal or article in a science paper if it's older than 5 years. Experiments are not a perfect science. And the FDA, even, just found out that some companies are givingprescriptionantidepressants to kids when they specifically were told that the drug wasn't safe for them. As much of a scientist as I am, I understand that it's not perfect.

I believe in being a good person. I don't own much, and I am generous with the little I have. It's partly a cultural thing. But the culture spawns out of the religion that surrounds it. I believe in Karma, The 8 noble truths, and the golden rule. These ideas would not be around if not for the religion the people believed in. These religions came around during a time when people sacrificed animals and people to gods, when you could have your hand cut off for stealing. The concept of being a good person did not create the religion. the religion created the idea.

To me, at least, the terms refers to "something bigger than me". Something you can't necessarily define and pointed to. I know what will happen to me when I die. But I also believe that something connects us all while we are alive too. Do I know what that is? Not really. If I studied quantum physics, and understood the math, maybe I would have a better idea. But as for right now, it does have a slightly mystical feel to it. I know there is something physical going on. I like using gems to help heal from bruises and sore muscles. I don't believe that anything is reaching out through the rock, or that it is a mystical item left just for me to use. I know that crystals vibrate on their own just because of their molecular structure. And that that vibration has an effect on what is around it. No different than how radiation vibrates in it's own wavelength and makes you sick.

Growing locks, like I said, does not produce the spiritual experience. It is a way to feel more closely tied to your spirituality, and to express it to others. Sure, the majority of people don't see it. But you are not growing locks for them. You are growing them for yourself. The best christians never talk about god or their faith with anyone outside of church. They act on it. There's no reason to talk about what you believe unless you are trying to convert them, or answering a question. People see how you act, not what you say you believe. But because we can not see each other here, all we have is our words. So that has to do.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok ill settle this right here and now

adam

youve been dreading a whole 3 months.. now most people are aware of the spiritual changes within weeks to months but i believe your attitude and your refusal to believe a spiritual connections possible will completely block you from having a spiritual experience...untill it overwhelms you..

now during vietnam native ameican scouts were used because they seemed to have a hieghtened awareness that increased the survivability drasticly and made them hyper aware of dangers unseeen

then their hair was cut and they no longer were any beter then anyone else..

so the gov tested this secretly allowing them to grow their hair long and it was found that the hair when long acts as a sensory organ that sensed things that cannot be seen..

the scouts would awake as danger approached even if no sound was made at all..

so this proved growing hair long awakened you to things you never understood with short hair

now locked hair massively magnifies that axcting like antenas to the spiritual world

not only that but hair contains a chemical record of all your lifes experiences cutting it severs the connection to those experiences..but locking connects every experience to every other allowing you to see things in a new way

maybe instead of arguing you should just wait a year or 2 and see if you dont experience the same things we have

maybe open your mind to the possibility and it will be there for you too

your resistence to it is the only thing holding you back

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

im sure most ppl have been to a party where theres 1 drunk girl (or guy) whos complaining theres not enough alcahol and they arent even drunk then they fall over pass out and wake up in puke

the point is

you can be so close to alcahol poision and still think your not drunk enough..

you could be having a spiritual experience and not realize it..

if your resisting it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

Baba- It may depend on the bible your reading, Im not qualified enough in these matters to argue that. All I know is that upon searching homosexuality in the bible that is what came up, thus nullifying the assertion that there is no reference to homosexuality whatsoever. It is in a version of the bible at least, and Im assuming that it was in it for a reason; that is what they believed and likely in other versions, too. But that is getting away from the point really.

The idea that people are not bad due to their genetic code is not strictly true. For example, people with Anti-social Personality Disorder (ASPD) have, for lack of a better phrase, a bad brain. This genetically inherited condition is exasperated by an unstructured upbringing. People with ASPD are extremely difficult to rehabilitate. There is a considerable amount of evidence to suggest that genes play a massive role in our personalities and our behaviour. Even the idea of free will is contested. In an experiment, people were asked to press a button whenever they feel like like doing so. Neuroimaging showed that there was a considerable amount of time that their neurons were preparing to fire, i.e. their brain was preparing to press the button before they were consciously aware of the wish to do so.

Why was eastern medicine used for thousands of years? It is because they had no better methods of curing disease. I mean, we use chemotherapy today, which is an extremely messy way of reducing cancerous cells. It attacks all the cells in the body, but it is one of the more effective and relaible methods that we have. Undoubtedly, we will disregard the method as soon as we are able to do so. As you say, science is not perfect. It is continuously building on previous knowledge and being sceptical of everything, but this is better than believing something with no evidence whatsoever.

The idea that something came from a religion is also false. Religion came from people, so, by extension, the ideas also came from the people. Clearly, the people of the time were living in a world they were not happy with, and so ideas of this nature are bound to spring forward in the society.

Of course there is something bigger than us. We are part of a spring of life on earth. When we look out into the universe it spreads further than we can even know. 100 billion stars in our own galaxy and 100 billion galaxies that we know of. Even the molecular level confounds us. We have trouble perceiving the big and the small. But does it feel mystical? Not really. It just happens to be there for us to understand. It is amazing, confusing and much bigger than any individual person, but it all comes from the natural, universal laws in our universe. In theory, it is all understandable and scientific progress is driving us ever forward in our knowledge. It is important to realise that science is only about 250 years old, and look how far we have come as a result. Religion, superstition and spirituality are just a stepping stones in the evolution of science. The served a purpose, but that purpose has long since passed.

Using pseudo-scientific explanations to explain why you put stones on your skin is quite redundant. Why not use a piece of glass, an old tooth, a wooden spoon or an mp3 player, since they also have molecular vibrations? Just because a piece of quartz looks pretty doesnt mean it will heal your body. Animal bodies have evolved to do a good job of that all by their selves.

One part your last paragraph really hits on my initial point of the bandwagon (The majority of people dont see it). There is a considerable amount of people on the site citing spirituality associated with dreads. It is my contention that the allure of the band wagon is all to enticing when trying to fit into a social group.

Soaring Eagle- You are wrong. This is my second set of dreads. I had completely natural, freeform dreads for about 5 years. No separation, no dandruff treatment, no washing with anything but water. They took patience, suffering through itch (which you must ignore or the itch gets unbearable. If you begin to scratch you will scratch until you bleed, in my experience), adjusting to social stigma and everything else that goes along with it. But, I never had any spiritual experiences. Not one. Its just hair!

Look, I respect you as a person. You have set up this amazing site, helping thousands of people from making mistakes with their dreads (I am included in this group). This fact makes it harder to say this, but that story about the Native Americans is clearly complete rubbish. I dont know where you heard it, but it is not true. Hair is made from the same stuff as nails. Its the same as suggesting that long nails connect you to the dead. There is NO scientific basis to the story whatsoever. By all means, show me where you found it, but I will always be sceptical. Its just in my nature. Unless there is concrete evidence for something, I cannot bring myself to believe.

Hair may contain a chemical record, but you also have a neurochemical record of your life, i.e. your memories. Its not as if you can even remember the events by looking at your hair. And, what difference would locked hair have? Its just tangled strands of keratin

Im going to leave this here. I always enjoy a good conversation and debate (I certainly wouldnt consider it an argument). Sharing ideas is important, even if we dont take the ideas on board, and I enjoyed the discussion.

Take it easy guys.

/ 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form