Dreadlocks Forums

misconceptions about dreads

Adam Williams
@adam-williams
12 years ago
21 posts
I meant the worst misconception sorry.

Adam Williams said:
The worst thing is that in nursing and maturing dreads if you're White, it is unintentional racism and offensive to Rastas. Despite the fact that Hindu Holy Men have had this for thousands of years, and Celts/Vikings/Egyptians had locks many moons ago I find this one hard to stomach to be honest and gets my back up.

updated by @adam-williams: 07/10/15 02:21:26AM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

ugh me too! awful!

i've heard most the ones you all mentioned, but I'm sure I'll have a few more to add to my list next time i visit my parents

Sussi said:

My stomach is turning at the thought ofputting any of those things in my hair...

soaring eagle said:

oh and dreads are made with

(long list to follow):

• wax
  • eggs
  • peanut butter
  • cow or dog dung
  • toothpaste
  • mud
  • axel grease
  • motor oil
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

That the only way your hair will dread is if you don't wash it (that's what my dad thought), and that they smell bad. And that any white person with dreads is homeless, lazy, unclean, a hippie or "wants to be black" (whatever that means). Because obviously having your hair in a particular way means that everyone with that hairstyle has the exact same personality and lifestyle...lol.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

theres rastas and theres racists (some rastas are even) most rastas i know do not find it racist or offensive that wite ppl dread eso]=pecialy if they respect rastas or dread for other spit=ritual reasons but they might find the goth/raver/metalhead types ..i wouldnt say offensive but lacking in understanding

ive never had anyone id call a true rasta think my or any white person with some consousnress being offensive

i have however gotten that from ppl who called themselves rastas but were drunk 24/7 abusive to women psychopathic dangerouse types

and ppl who wrap up their entire identity in the color ogf their skin

most rastas are pretty understanding aware people

very anti racist

easy to talk to even if sometimes hard to understand haha

very freindly..willing to take you for who you are

Adam Williams said:

The worst thing is that in nursing and maturing dreads if you're White, it is unintentional racism and offensive to Rastas. Despite the fact that Hindu Holy Men have had this for thousands of years, and Celts/Vikings/Egyptians had locks many moons ago I find this one hard to stomach to be honest and gets my back up.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Adam Williams
@adam-williams
12 years ago
21 posts
I know exactly what you mean, My partner's dad is a true Jamaican Rasta and he doesn't mind it at all and neither does my partner - in fact, she said she loves to see locks on White people as it looks really good.I think sometimes people read too much into things, and assume someone's appearance is all about them. If people only realised locking is the natural progression for all types of hair, then people would be less quick to judge. :-(

soaring eagle said:

theres rastas and theres racists (some rastas are even) most rastas i know do not find it racist or offensive that wite ppl dread eso]=pecialy if they respect rastas or dread for other spit=ritual reasons but they might find the goth/raver/metalhead types ..i wouldnt say offensive but lacking in understanding

ive never had anyone id call a true rasta think my or any white person with some consousnress being offensive

i have however gotten that from ppl who called themselves rastas but were drunk 24/7 abusive to women psychopathic dangerouse types

and ppl who wrap up their entire identity in the color ogf their skin

most rastas are pretty understanding aware people

very anti racist

easy to talk to even if sometimes hard to understand haha

very freindly..willing to take you for who you are

Adam Williams said:

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

I think the funniest one is the question "do you have to do that to your hair every morning? and how long does it take?" I have been asked that several times. I also find it funny that people think dreads are made. I have been asked hundreds of times "who did your hair" as if my knotty head was created by someone.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

haha yea i get those too and i often grt ppl calling thejm braids or even a weave lol

oh and how much of thats your real hair

i do get alotta ppl that think they have to be taken out and put back in every wash

silly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
raene folden
@raene-folden
12 years ago
11 posts

someone once said to me, "why would you do that to yourself, you used to be soo beautiful." what a wack perception of beauty, how could I take that to heart?

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

wow how awful of them. my mother said that to me after i got facial piercings & stretched my lobes. but luckily I have learned since i was young to ignore most of what she says..

raene folden said:

someone once said to me, "why would you do that to yourself, you used to be soo beautiful." what a wack perception of beauty, how could I take that to heart?

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I get asked pretty frequently if I stash drugs in my hair....like they think my hair looks like nuggs...or when I say that no I don't have any pot stashed in my hair...they try and suggest where I could create a secret compartment!

and no...my hair isn't something you can smoke!

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form