Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreads splitting in two at the root (advice?)

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

Hey guys, hoping you could give me some quick advice.

I notice a couple of my dreads weren't sectioned right for my hair growth and have split in two at the top, two separate pieces growing into one dread. I can see this would be the benefit of going neglect and letting them section themselves, as at the time the section seemed fine but over 6 weeks the true pattern of the hair growth in those spots has become evident.

I'm just wondering what you guys think.. I'm more than happy just letting it go if you think the two sections will form their own individual dreads that become one lower down... in fact I think that would be cool/unique. But I wanted to check in case it's going to ruin them or something, there's probably still enough time to comb them out and re-section them...but I reaaaalllllly don't want to! I've also been neglecting them since the first day when I put them in and it's important to me not to alter them (crochet, rubber bands etc) so I'm hoping you will tell me to just leave them alone and they will be fine.

updated by @circle-dancer: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they often will self heal, you can also bead it or wrap the bottom inch in hemp or embroidery thread for a week or 3 too much longer and that area will be thinner then the rest when mature

worse case it stays seperate but its ok

altho its typicaly caused by forcing sections where naturally theuy woukd preffer to be 2 dreads it can happen in natural sectioning at times too tho less common and in natural sectiions tendss to self heal easily

the roots are just so loose at this stage that that "hole' can become a loop in a week tightening on 1 side jutting out in the other and then pull in

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

Thanks for replying so quick. That was what I was hoping to hear. I'll probably leave it for a bit longer and see if it heals itself and then try wrapping it for a little bit and see. Thanks again!

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

Okay so the one I posted a picture of I left alone to see if it would heal, but there was another one that had a really bad sectioning (a huge, flat, wide piece) and it was splitting in two even worse so on a whim I combed it out last night and re-did it into two smaller dreads, sectioning with the natural hair growth. It looks and feels so much better.

Also it's surprising how easy it was to comb out a 6 week old dreadlock. No conditioner or anything, I just combed it out. Took about 5 minutes.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wow well it will be happy as 2 im sure

6 weeks isnt long tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form