Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

my first comment and it wasn't nice:(

Torie Shea
@torie-shea
13 years ago
52 posts
P.s. if it makes you feel better, it sounds like they were drunk or something. It would be funny to day really loud, are you high? Just make them feel really good and awkward.
updated by @torie-shea: 07/23/15 02:07:24PM
hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

Well said!

Patrick said:

Not to be rude, but is it wrong that I laughed while reading this? Not at the fact that you were insulted but how every time I read something in quotations I had that sort of typical black girl voice playing in my head. Made me laugh for a moment. I tend to get the same thing with black people. "Wow. What are you doing? You need to twist your hair. When was the last time you twisted?", etc etc. Heck, I went to the mall once(I really dislike the mall), and every single black person I passed either laughed to themselves(although it was pretty obvious what they were laughing at) rudely, or just gave me odd looks(you know the kind). Usually I just shrug it off. Tends to work better than trying to talk sense to the other person. Don't get me wrong, though, it's not just black people. I get these comments and questions everywhere. Heather, I really wouldn't take it too harshly. There are plenty of ignorant people out there, and you're bound to run into plenty. It's just something we all have to live with. Honestly though, learning to laugh at this kind of thing helps a lot. I mean, I laughed just reading this. Just wait until random people start complimenting you(at the same mall I mentioned earlier, some random guy with a group of girls shouted "I WANT YOUR HAIR!" I smiled and laughed). You'll start to just enjoy yourself regardless. In short, chin up, Heather. You've got the patience for dreadlocks, now you just need the backbone. ;)
Monte Jackson
@monte-jackson
13 years ago
34 posts

Alas there is no cure for stupidity.......as long as you love your hair that is all that matters :)

baby britt
@baby-britt
13 years ago
112 posts
how silly and shallow! people with close minds are never worth your feeling even the slightest bit shook up. SE is right, laugh, walk away, don't let them see you stress about their comments. your dreadies are for you and god and nobody else! and as a side note, what's on the inside is everything, and if someone is shallow enough to have that much to say about YOUR hair, they obviously don't deserve any of your time / words / effort to try to explain your journey to them.love <3
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

lol! thanks, torie:)

Torie Shea said:

Jeez, that sucks. Carry around a picture of soaring eagle and when ever someone gives you shit whip it out and say
Got anything to say now? Or tell them to come to this site and I'll tear them a new asshole. Lol, but really its obvious people like that really piss me off, and if Anyone did something like that to me, I'd laugh at their ignorance. Really you just have to laugh at how stupid people are. Flash them the peace sign next time.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

lol! well, she did say it in that kind of voice. i think your right though. i just need to get a backbone when it comes to people and my hair. i've always been kind of the plain jane that nobody really even noticed. i forget that i have thisbeaconon my head that beckons all the idiots in the world to throw rude, ignorant comments at me. i can't wait until i have a stranger offer up something nice about my hair. i know when i see someone with dreadlocks i'm instantly drawn to them and always tell them how beautiful they are.

Patrick said:

Not to be rude, but is it wrong that I laughed while reading this? Not at the fact that you were insulted but how every time I read something in quotations I had that sort of typical black girl voice playing in my head. Made me laugh for a moment. I tend to get the same thing with black people. "Wow. What are you doing? You need to twist your hair. When was the last time you twisted?", etc etc. Heck, I went to the mall once(I really dislike the mall), and every single black person I passed either laughed to themselves(although it was pretty obvious what they were laughing at) rudely, or just gave me odd looks(you know the kind). Usually I just shrug it off. Tends to work better than trying to talk sense to the other person. Don't get me wrong, though, it's not just black people. I get these comments and questions everywhere. Heather, I really wouldn't take it too harshly. There are plenty of ignorant people out there, and you're bound to run into plenty. It's just something we all have to live with. Honestly though, learning to laugh at this kind of thing helps a lot. I mean, I laughed just reading this. Just wait until random people start complimenting you(at the same mall I mentioned earlier, some random guy with a group of girls shouted "I WANT YOUR HAIR!" I smiled and laughed). You'll start to just enjoy yourself regardless. In short, chin up, Heather. You've got the patience for dreadlocks, now you just need the backbone. ;)
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i'm in Orange County. the city of Orange, to be exact.

Spence said:

A fellow southern Californian person.... its good to see on this site! good to see someone in this land of "fake boobs, bleach blonde hair, and labeled clothing" is a fellow dready and has their head straight. What part of southern ca are you from?

Heather said:

i'm in southern california (barbie look-a-like land). i never see anyone with dreadlocks. not even african americans. there's a lot of ignorance here too. i'm an orange county native but i've never really fit in. now if i had big bleach blonde hair, fake boobs and labeled clothing then i would probably blend in well:)

FoxPaw said:

sorry this happened, i hate these type of awkward situations.. I say the typical "Man you lose your comb and see what happens" or "Its what my hair naturally wants to do so why not let it do it?" (it gives me a big self esteem boost, makes me feel connected to everyone & everything( We all know this)) they can take it or leave it, but individuals, like this one, make me feel better as a person because in a way little things like this make me the way that i am.
I live in TN (Im originally from California) & i deal with narrow mindedness here & there.. Like.. "Get a haircut! Fag!" etc.. i just look at em like "What are you doing? Really? Come on get out of the 50s"
But i get mostly positive comments if anything
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
thanks, brittany! i think your awesome, too:)

Brittany Rassat said:

You are awesome and your hair is AMAZING! don't let any stupid, ignorant person tell you otherwise!

hippiegal
@hippiegal
13 years ago
182 posts

"i know when i see someone with dreadlocks i'm instantly drawn to them and always tell them how beautiful they are."

I like that. Keep going like that. What you give out you will get back, and it'll more than make up for the nasty comments you received at the gas station.

Heather said:

lol! well, she did say it in that kind of voice. i think your right though. i just need to get a backbone when it comes to people and my hair. i've always been kind of the plain jane that nobody really even noticed. i forget that i have thisbeaconon my head that beckons all the idiots in the world to throw rude, ignorant comments at me. i can't wait until i have a stranger offer up something nice about my hair.

Patrick said:

Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

HAHAHA I had this discussion yesterday. :/

Sorry you went through it. :( Unfortunately I don't have much advice except to just ignore people, OR educate them. :) I run into it a lot, and not just about dreadlocks. I'm furious about feeling like I was tricked into a cesarean and I've taken it upon myself to get education on everything about pregnancy, labor, and birth. When you are passionate about something, it is hard to ignore negative comments but sometimes you just have to let it be. Other times you might feel like it's your duty to educate.

Although you know my daddy told me last night that "emulation is the highest form of flattery" when I was talking to him about how I feel like my MIL [who is black] thinks I'm trying to be black because I'm dreading my hair. He also told me, "It's YOUR HAIR." And I feel like I should say the same to you... It's YOUR HAIR. Be proud of it and feel beautiful in it and act on instinct when someone makes a comment, whether it be negative or positive. :)

<3 )O(

updated by @heathen-hippie-o: 02/14/15 10:54:41AM

/ 8

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form