Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How to rip personality from your dreads

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
better to potty and try to re-educate then to hudge..most of em maybe misguided sure som,e maybe just simply shallow but shouldnt we try to show them the way out of shallowness instead of just lableing them as wrong?i personaly think most of those types start off as idol imitators wanting dreads like theyre fave rock heros or sports idols..yes its completely idiotiuic reason to dread and pointless to try to get dreads like those, but arent they still entering into the dread journey? on the path that will hopefully one day lead them away from such shallow things?its best to start educating them on the true nature of dreading from the very beginningmy problem with johny is he basiclt says you dont got to dread to look like your favorite dread, just throw on a costume and fake it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/10/15 07:33:14AM
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
IllumiKnotty,How could you possibly believe that *anybody* could be judged by outward appearance alone--even one completely obsessed with the superficial? This is fallacious in the deepest sense, and it is unbelievably presumptuous of you to judge any person's motive. Even the shallowest person has a depth of personality, and a secret mind.I dress like a surfer, but I don't surf. I wear skater shoes, but I don't skate. I love maintaining my dreads and making them look good (my subjective meaning of pleasing aesthetic), so what? Am I a poser? Are my locks fake? Should I stop wearing Vans? Should I starting wearing sweater vests and slacks?You can judge all you want. But you're judging ME.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
people should stop wearing clothes completely would be so much easier to look past outter appearances then

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Wow! Some REALLY visceral comments about dreads on this thread. As a newbie to the dreading process, can I give a little insight???? I have always liked the look of dreads. It never really occured to me that I could actually do that with my hair until recently. I decided to because of personal barriers in my life that I wanted to break. I mean, it IS a commitment, unless you want to shave your head or comb them all out when you change your mind. However, because I "like" the look of dreads and want to emulate that, I don't think of myself as a "poser". I think that someone that attempts to wear dreads has got to start somewhere and is already showing "independence" for whatever their reasons are. I had no idea before I ran across this site that there was a "natural" way to get dreads. Because I was willing to try the other methods I found first, does that mean I'm not genuine??? We are all physical beings. We all "covet" things we see, whether we want to admit it or not. If dreads are a "fashion" statement for some people, is that such a bad thing????? Let them be posers!! In one or two years when they shave their heads or comb them all out - so what???? Your personal reasons for having dreadlocks are YOUR PERSONAL REASONS. Whether or not it's because you think they are "cool" or "hip" or because it has some big deep significance in your life. I don't mean to offend anyone. I just don't see why anyone's reasons for having dreads matters. I think the important thing is that if someone decides to have dreadlocks, that they do it with as little damage to their hair as possible and without being sucked into some gimicky commercial garbage about how they should look. I personally don't like the look of uniform, waxed, rounded tip dreads for me. I am more of a free spirit and like the look of loose "natural" dreads with loops, etc. But, If everyone on here promoted wax and just LOVED the look of manufactured dreads and I came along liking the opposite, would I be the bad guy then???? And for everyone on here that has a religious or "significance" to their dreads, if I didn't have that regarding mine - does that really matter??? I guess what I am trying to say is live and let live, just welcome everyone that wants to venture into the journey. I have felt very welcome here so far and I think that is great! Johnny Clean is doing what he knows how to do. It may not be right, but I did see in his response to someone that whatever method or journey you choose is yours to choose. He didn't sound really judgemental about NOT choosing his way. He is just there to pick up the unfortunate that don't find this site!!!! :)
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
when i see fake ass looking "people" with the hippest clothes, the cleanest dreads -- yes i do judge them. who are they trying to fool? most people can see through that veil of fake superficiality. caught up in society's image. . .when i see a genuine, natural person who shows to you that they are not their clothes, they are not their car, they are not their dreads -- but they are THEM. respect.IVE BEEN THERe! I used to be a prep in high school. i cared about my tan, my fake blonde hair, my make up .. and then i "matured" and "grew up" spiritually and since i have shed my superficial ways.some people are old souls, and some people are young souls, and some are in between. but we will all get there
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
okay well defend your views of having the perfect dreads. ok go:
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
You know, I was thinking about doing just that. But then I decided that I don't need to explain, justify, or defend my position regarding MY hair.I doubt I've ever seen such a blatant means of putting ones opponent on the defensive.One problem. You don't have an opponent on this forum. If you think this is a contest of defensible positions, you've missed the point. Nobody should be attacked for their hair, and that's what you've done to every "fake ass" person. You even used quotation marks on "people," as though they are so-called-but-not-really people.Grow your hair your way, leave me to mine. I'll handle no more bile today.
Pamella
@pamella
14 years ago
31 posts
Isn't it better to gently guide than ridicule? I mean no harm on here for anyone...I went both routes..Once in ignorance I believed I couldn't dread on my own without trying these products...didnt like em and ditched them..I am and have been a very spiritual person for the last 15 years...We cannot blame others for their ignorance..I didnt use the products to be a "poser" or anything of the sort..I used them because I was uneducated on dreadlocks...Again, I mean no harm..I have just had a walk on both sides of the fence and really...it's the inward person that counts not the exterior of the person...dreadlocks...permed...or bald..I'll respect each one for being part of creation...I would/do want the same in return :) IllumiKnotty said:
when i see fake ass looking "people" with the hippest clothes, the cleanest dreads -- yes i do judge them. who are they trying to fool? most people can see through that veil of fake superficiality. caught up in society's image. . .

when i see a genuine, natural person who shows to you that they are not their clothes, they are not their car, they are not their dreads -- but they are THEM. respect.

IVE BEEN THERe! I used to be a prep in high school. i cared about my tan, my fake blonde hair, my make up .. and then i "matured" and "grew up" spiritually and since i have shed my superficial ways.

some people are old souls, and some people are young souls, and some are in between. but we will all get there
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
i havent attacked anybody. i have mentioned "fake people" yet i never said YOU or HIM or THE OTHER GUY
Pamella
@pamella
14 years ago
31 posts
This was mainly a general statement for the post itself :) Nothing personal...I just wanted to share from a different perspective...I never mentioned the word "attacked" but I am sorry that you took offense to my words..not my style to harm anyone...There's no reason for any of us to be at each other so just let it be :) Again, I meant no harm to yourself or anyone..Love you guys! :) IllumiKnotty said:
i havent attacked anybody. i have mentioned "fake people" yet i never said YOU or HIM or THE OTHER GUY

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form