Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

starter knots sizes?

Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts
So very long hair and kite flying on a blusterous day and i already have one good section going and a few tiny babies! by good i mean it is an obvious section, by no means would i say i have a dread.so, im curious now, if i want smallish dreads how tiny should i make sure my sections are when i seperate them? should i figure that they will double in size as they grow and dread?
updated by @alicia-s: 01/13/15 09:35:49PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

When mature, they usually end up the thickness of the section. The biggest most people want to go is 1 inch sections. I wouldn't go bigger unless you really want it. Fatter locks take longer to dry and need a bit more care.

Just separate them into 1 inch sections or smaller

Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts

So since it's small now should I leave it be, not divide it smaller, and then see if it gets bigger and just stop it before it's bigger than I like??

Is there any such thing as TO small? I really like the look of smaller dreads, but I don't want to risk them being so small they are fragile if that's possible.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

no such thing as too small. But the smaller they get, the more you have. Sometimes when you have more than 100 locks, you get stuck in car doors and such.

It's easier to let them congo together than split them apart when they are mature.

How big are they?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

whatever size u wanrt em pencil sized to nickle sized is in the small to medium range much smal,er then a pencil and your looking at 100+ dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts

Right now if I hold the section together (not twist, but just see how big it is when they are not loose and everywhere) it is small, like half of a pencil maybe? If they stay the same size then I'll let it get bigger and see what happens. I was just afraid that they really bulk up and then I'd hate it.

I have super long hair, so I'm surprisingly used to getting stuck in doors, or having hair snag in some unfortunate place like the flip lock of a door, or the hook on the inside of a car thing for dry cleaning, the couch, a drawer, a rubberband my kid spontaneously tied to a chair... I get snagged a lot lol

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u cant tell that way instead lift the section and look at the roots the area the hair comes from the scalp into the section

when you put your entire head of hair (undreaded) in a ponytail its as thick as a nickle maybe quarter.. but thats every hair on your head so 1 inch sections are about quarter size a single dread would be the size of a loose ponytail and thats 1 of 30-40 dreads

so look atthe roots to guess how big it wil get

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form