Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

share your dreading mistakes so others might avoid the same dreadlock mistakes you made

Denney Coning
@denney-coning
14 years ago
16 posts
The first time I started dreads I went to a supposed 'loctition.' She assured me that white people can do dreads the same as black people do. WRONG!! She started with shampooing, conditioning, then deep conditioning my hair. Then she did something called plating. She sectioned into 1 inch squares, then divided each section into 2 twists, then twisted the 2 twists together. After which she slathered each section with about a pound of gel and put me under a hairdryer. Her advice for maintenance included coating each plat with a new coat of gel and sitting under a hairdryer every night for a whole month. And did I mention she said I couldn't even get my hair wet for at least a month then I could get it wet but not wash it for probably a year. That crap lasted for about 3 weeks before my wife talked my into combing it out. Talk about stink. I learned my lesson real fast.
updated by @denney-coning: 07/10/15 11:25:27PM
Amber Eyes
@amber-eyes
14 years ago
8 posts
I was told that my hair was too strong and too healthy too dread. So I bleached it out 3 times to try too make it more coarse. Then after about a month I was I was told if I permed my locks they'd lock in faster. So I did and my hair started breaking apart and falling out. I tried crocheting it together because it got so fried and frizzy. Two of my dreads broke in half and I lost about 3 inches of length on them. When this happened I threw my hands up and said enough. I stopped doing anything to my hair aside from washing it. My dreads didn't lock in any faster than my prior set. I'm now simply being patient and allowing my hair to heal and grow, as I believe I need to allow for my soul too do as well. Dreading as well as life is a journey we all have a different experience and lesson.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
too healthy to dread.. what the hell healthy hair dreads greatit blows my mind that people think they need to destroy hair or glue it all up to dreadim sorry u were tricked into thinking that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Amber Eyes
@amber-eyes
14 years ago
8 posts
She was simply uneducated, I was mindless to listen too it. I had dread before without all that and the person I allowed to influence me has never had dreads, so my common sense should have told me. I think my journey reflects the inner turmoil I was feeling. I think I was almost like punishing myself I don't expect it to make sense because of the lack of information but, I deserve to have healthy lovely locks and I will be kind and patient and trust that I have the knowledge and tools to do so. Learning to love, trust and forgive myself is my lesson right now. I've noticed this forum is a place to encourage questioning ones self and for that I am grateful. You soaring eagle have asked of me things I wouldn't have asked of myself and for that I am grateful. I feel reminded why my favorite song is what it is."Amazing grace, how sweet the sound,That saved a wretch like me, I once was lost but now am foundWas blind, but now I see.Twas grace that taught my heart to FEARand grace, my fears relievedHow precious did that grace appearthe hour I first believed."Thank you my friend. even if this makes no sense too you. thank you. soaringeagle said:
too healthy to dread.. what the hell healthy hair dreads great

it blows my mind that people think they need to destroy hair or glue it all up to dread

im sorry u were tricked into thinking that
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it doesnt need to make sence to make feel i feel what your saying deeply and i know it was hard for u to post and i thank u

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

/ 7
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form