Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

share your dreading mistakes so others might avoid the same dreadlock mistakes you made

Zynobek
@zynobek
15 years ago
21 posts
My biggest mistake was having my locs started with Beeswax containing petroleum. The stuff does not wash out and makes your hair smell too, no matter how much you dry it! My hair became very heavy and so weak that I started getting bald spots. I had to cut 12 inches off of my hair and basically start over ;-{Well, after that, I used a lot of "over-the-counter" locking gels and didn't like them either. My locs were not holding together. Finally I gave up, found a good shampoo and cut the aloe from my back yard. Guess what...that worked. The less I do to my hair now, the better it grows.
updated by @zynobek: 07/22/15 05:51:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
and you said your a "liscenced loctition" what were you told was the right way to dread in your training?how do they determine who has the expertise to train?if the state requires liscencing then the state must also have proper guidelines like tatooist do and peircers. id love to know what these guidelines are and what currupt busineseses contribbuted and lobbied for the passing of the liscincing laws Zynobek said:
My biggest mistake was having my locs started with Beeswax containing petroleum. The stuff does not wash out and makes your hair smell too, no matter how much you dry it! My hair became very heavy and so weak that I started getting bald spots. I had to cut 12 inches off of my hair and basically start over ;-{
Well, after that, I used a lot of "over-the-counter" locking gels and didn't like them either. My locs were not holding together. Finally I gave up, found a good shampoo and cut the aloe from my back yard. Guess what...that worked. The less I do to my hair now, the better it grows.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Zynobek
@zynobek
15 years ago
21 posts
The Board of Cosmetology within The FL Department of Business and Professional regulates the license. Dreadlocs are governed under"cosmetology" if you use chemicals(dread perms and dyes) and "hair braiding and hair wrapping", if you don't perm or use dyes.But, the education does not focus on any natural loc methods at all.So to answer your question...I have no idea who wrote the guidelines...There shouldn't be any guidelines for locs anyway, except "Do No Harm & Do No Damage".
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
you need a liscence to braid and wrap hair?????/can u be fined for braiding yoiur own without a liscence?i definately think we need to make a list of good and bad loctitians Zynobek said:
The Board of Cosmetology within The FL Department of Business and Professional regulates the license. Dreadlocs are governed under"cosmetology" if you use chemicals(dread perms and dyes) and "hair braiding and hair wrapping", if you don't perm or use dyes.
But, the education does not focus on any natural loc methods at all.
So to answer your question...I have no idea who wrote the guidelines...
There shouldn't be any guidelines for locs anyway, except "Do No Harm & Do No Damage".

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
people are just so clueless about dreadsthe so called experts even more soi hear stuff like this and i dunno wether to laugh or cry..its storries like this that drive me to want to spread the truth so badlyand is very much the reason im workin my ass off on this site

--
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
As soon as I stop getting...."So you don't wash?" Then I'll start pointing and laughing at the really bad mistakes. Until then I'll be understanding that there is a lot of bad info out there and help educate.An interesting way of forming dreads that I almost forgot about, similar to using wraps, is either start with a light tnr or backcomb. Then you take thread and kind of sew them to form them. Similar to how ancient egyptians had their hair styled before they began wearing dreadlocked wigs. =DI believe this is also how Angelina Jolie had her hair styled in gone in 60 seconds. soaringeagle said:
people are just so clueless about dreads
the so called experts even more so i hear stuff like this and i dunno wether to laugh or cry..its storries like this that drive me to want to spread the truth so badlyand is very much the reason im workin my ass off on this site
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Ouch, poor girl...Petroleum products will make your hair brittle. I'm assuming whatever shampoo you use is pretty mild so it would take awhile to get the petroleum crap out. And I totally agree about the smell. =/ Zynobek said:
My biggest mistake was having my locs started with Beeswax containing petroleum. The stuff does not wash out and makes your hair smell too, no matter how much you dry it! My hair became very heavy and so weak that I started getting bald spots. I had to cut 12 inches off of my hair and basically start over ;-{
Well, after that, I used a lot of "over-the-counter" locking gels and didn't like them either. My locs were not holding together. Finally I gave up, found a good shampoo and cut the aloe from my back yard. Guess what...that worked. The less I do to my hair now, the better it grows.
Amma Niradhara
@amma-niradhara
15 years ago
19 posts
hey anubis- the woman in the himalayas who started mine off from my long hair did that thing with the thread and sewed them - it was horrible. like training wheels on dreds. i kept pulling the threads out as i found them. she did alot of weird shit to my hair but hey how else do you get hair down to your butt started off locking up if you dont do something drastic to keep it from being one big rat ball. Anubis said:
As soon as I stop getting...."So you don't wash?" Then I'll start pointing and laughing at the really bad mistakes. Until then I'll be understanding that there is a lot of bad info out there and help educate.

An interesting way of forming dreads that I almost forgot about, similar to using wraps, is either start with a light tnr or backcomb. Then you take thread and kind of sew them to form them. Similar to how ancient egyptians had their hair styled before they began wearing dreadlocked wigs. =D

I believe this is also how Angelina Jolie had her hair styled in gone in 60 seconds.

soaringeagle said:
the so called experts even more so i hear stuff like this and i dunno wether to laugh or cry.. its storries like this that drive me to want to spread the truth so badly
and is very much the reason im workin my ass off on this site
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
you seperate and add beadsit would dread so fast Rev. Niradhara said:
hey anubis- the woman in the himalayas who started mine off from my long hair did that thing with the thread and sewed them - it was horrible. like training wheels on dreds. i kept pulling the threads out as i found them. she did alot of weird shit to my hair but hey how else do you get hair down to your butt started off locking up if you dont do something drastic to keep it from being one big rat ball.

Anubis said:
As soon as I stop getting...."So you don't wash?" Then I'll start pointing and laughing at the really bad mistakes. Until then I'll be understanding that there is a lot of bad info out there and help educate.

An interesting way of forming dreads that I almost forgot about, similar to using wraps, is either start with a light tnr or backcomb. Then you take thread and kind of sew them to form them. Similar to how ancient egyptians had their hair styled before they began wearing dreadlocked wigs. =D

I believe this is also how Angelina Jolie had her hair styled in gone in 60 seconds.

soaringeagle said:
the so called experts even more so i hear stuff like this and i dunno wether to laugh or cry.. its storries like this that drive me to want to spread the truth so badly
and is very much the reason im workin my ass off on this site

--
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Good to hear an experience about that method even if it is a negative. I'd still rather see people do that than use wax. I'm sure it feels less disgusting. XDYour dreads are beautiful by the way.

/ 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form