Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I'm so that glad this site exists

Ginger-Rasta
@ginger-rasta
12 years ago
16 posts

When I was planning to put dreadlocks in my hair, I had called a salon who were going to charge me 150 pound to crochet them in. After I decided i couldn't afford it i went to dreadhead HQ and almost bought one of their super expensive dread destroying kits. I decided to do some research and found this site, which showed me a free and safe way to dread my hair and showed me all the natural and safe ways of maintaining them. If it wasn't for this site i'd have probably been putting beeswax on them for the past 4 weeks lol. Thank you :)

updated by @ginger-rasta: 02/14/15 05:52:51AM
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Glad you found the site before you wasted your money and risked the damage :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Very happy to hear your found us before all that went down. I wasn't so luck y for my first set. I did use Bees-wax. I was told to put a little on a couple of times a week and not wash for 2 months.

When I did finally wash, more than 50% of my hair melted off my scalp. I don't want anyone to ever go through that horror.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

we have successfully dsaved members 10's of thousands of dollars and their dreads ofcourse but unfortunately 10's of thousands more wre still wasted by finding us too late so we really need to double our efforts to get found 1st the best way is if each members took advantage of our free websites (see members websites under members menu) make any type site blog whatever (i can help ya) and link the words dreads and dreadlocks to the front page here

the more that do that the sooner we will be at the top of searches

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
lionm
@lionm
12 years ago
8 posts

What Happens if you did use beeswax.. is it gonna be stuck in your head forever? Even after you shave your dreads.. does it stay in your scalp for a full lifetime?! What could you do?!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It will be stuck in there forever if you don't vigorously try to get it out. There are methods, though. Dawn dish soap, Wax-B-Gone from dreadlockshampoo.com are both good products for removing it. There is a good description of how to get it out in the dreaducaion page. It's not easy, and can take a long time, But if you don't, you run a VERY huge risk of growing mold and having locks rot and fall off.

How long ago did you use wax? And how many times?

lionm
@lionm
12 years ago
8 posts

I'm curious, because my cousin used wax on his dreads recently for a week. I have been trying to convince him that it is bad, but I do not really know how to convince him properly. He says he doesn't mind if wax stays in his head, and that he has seen other dreadies who used wax and turned out fine. I have never used wax though, seems scary.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they can seem fine ..till they start to rot

vissuialy they look like dreass

but it can prevent them from ever really dreading right

and theres just so many issues it can cause besides just trapping all the dirt u come in contact with

its just a bad idea no matter what

unless all u care about is the illusion of dreading

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I thought you didn't. Locks that were waxed once or twice may seem fine down the line because loose hair covers up the wax, but it is still inside them. It traps water and causes them to rot. It might not start smelling right away. But when they smell like a wet dog after he showers, even if the smell goes away when they dry, that's a sure sign that mildew or mold is growing. Many people think that if they smell fine dry then nothing is wrong. That's a myth. Mold doesn't always smell all the time. But it does eventually get a musky odor that is constant. Other may not smell it right away, but given time, as it grows more and more, others will smell it too.

Wax also forces locks to not mature and stay in their infant stages. It is just glued together. I'm sure you know. When waxed locks finally have the wax removed, people find that their locks are no where near as mature as they thought. This scares many people into ignoring the simple fact that something you'd use to waterproof your car does not belong in your hair.

I'd keep trying to explain to him that wax is damaging, but don't judge him on the fact that he wants to keep it there. When he finds out that wax is ruining his locks, let him come to the conclusion on his own and don't say "I told you so". This will make him reject your help later down the line if he wants to grow them again.

If you want to, you can use my story about what wax did to my hair. I think it's in the featured discussions under recovery. Not sure. It's definitely in the dreaducation page. Or message me for a detailed explanation

lionm
@lionm
12 years ago
8 posts

What if I get him to stop using the wax .. will he be fine? I believe he only used it for a week total.. pretty sparingly.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form