Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

veggie vegan omni ital? whats your diet and hows it relate to your dreadiness (if at all)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

well... carbs are one of the most important parts of our diet. too much is bad, of course, and whits grains are just not good for you to begin with. carbs produce a lot of the sugars that make your body run functionally. Whole grains are better than bleached white grain. As for corn, have you have pooped out corn kernals? no joke. We only proccess so much of what corn is made of. Our bodies aren't designed to digest it.

As for this "paleo nutricien diet" Yeah, it was perfect for cave men. Not for us. Our appendix used to serve as a filter for the raw meat, bones, and other stuff we ate before we cooked it. Now that we can properly prepare food, there's no functional use anymore. I don't know why that guy was smoking, but he sounds like one of those types who says that we are more evolved today than cave men were. A bunch of crack pots

updated by @baba-fats: 07/23/15 06:28:10PM
Green Head
@green-head
12 years ago
31 posts

i'm 16, i was a veggie since i was 4 years old and when i turned 16 i went vegan after doing some research. I love animals and it's great to know that i'm in no way whatsoever making them sad!! i will always remember ages 16, went vegan, started my dreads ;) good year, also...left school!

Greeneyed Monster
@greeneyed-monster
12 years ago
3 posts

i eat everything i can get my teeth in.
I would love to try be a vegetarian, but the last year i have been strugling with keeping my weight.
Last january i waid about 55kilos and by march i lost about 7 kilos, without knowing why. So i went to the doc, but he could do nothing but observe, and have a monthly check on me.
And now im only 45 kilos! - been there a few months now.

So what im trying to say is that im afraid im going to lose even more if i try it out..
Maybe u gys got anny tips?

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I eat quite unhealthily to be honest...not as bad as I used to, just a lot of snacks. So I don't have a specific diet right now, but...I'm trying to slowly cut out the snacks, eat more fruit, eat vegetables (hate practically all vegetables except for broccoli and carrots, so any suggestions on meals with vegetables in that you can't really taste would be helpful), cut down on the salt, etc. It relates to my dreads in the sense that the nature of dreading, the gradual process of your hair and your mentality as it dreads has made me feel like other aspects of my life can be changed gradually too. I don't know, I wouldn't call it spiritual, but it just feels like it's a journey that goes hand-in-hand with dreading.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

do you like asian food?

get some bok choy, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, safflower oil, red pepper flakes, salt/pepper (opttional, but really helps the taste), and rice vinegar.

dice up the ginger and garlic really small. heat a skillet with the oils in them. use about a 1-1 ratio of the 2 oils. (never stirfry with just sesame or olive oil).

Cut the leaves off of the bok choy and cut the body of it up into slices not unlike slices of celery at a salad bar.

slice the leaves into strips by rolling them into a tube and cutting on an angle.

When the oil is heated up, toss in the pepper flakes, garlic and ginger and stir for a few minutes, make sure to not let it burn.

then add the bok choy bodies, and stir until they are tender.

add the vinegar and stir for no more than 30 seconds.

pour the mixtur over the leaves and let them wilt.

If you want to, you could add some white or black sesame seeds

eat as you like it

Kristalynn
@kristalynn
12 years ago
8 posts

What a great discussion topic!

Personally I'm not a vegetarian or anything. I eat 'standard' food. I do try to skip some of the more processed foods, recently I've become very grossed out with how obsessed America is with sugar (its in everything!) and am trying to avoid the bulk of it, like eating natural peanut butter opposed to regular, it just tastes soooo much better anyway.

I did do a Daniel's Diet for 3 weeks last year. That's basically vegan, no meat or animal products, bread made without yeast, no sugar or caffeine or alcohol. It was really tough to maintain that diet, especially since I'm in college and only have a mini-fridge, but it did feel refreshing. When I transitioned back to normal food my stomach had a rough time with meat for a while, even chicken, but eventually got over it. I think the things I missed most were chocolate, coffee, and cheese.

Now that I'm thinking about it though I'm tempted to go back to it. It was hard but did teach me some self-discipline and restraint, and definitely gave me a de-tox.

Not entirely sure how this ties into my dreads. People do often assume I'm a veghead because of stereotypes. I don't know, I do feel more empowered to make life changes like that because of my dreads I guess. yep.

Mindy
@mindy
12 years ago
12 posts

I'm technically a pescatarian, although I do have some dairy. I was vegetarian for 10 years, then worked in limited meat (poultry and fish exclusively at the time) because I hadn't been a balanced/healthy veg. and was literally wasting away from malnutrition. My husband likes to remind me that we have all the evolutionary markers of omnivores, not herbivores, so we struggle in our house to find a balance. My biggest thing is that factory farming is both so detrimental morally and health wise that I can't condone it. We stick to vegetables or wild caught fish now, hubby occasionally has chicken with certain things (1-2x a month).

Spiritually I have to say I see all living things as fairly equal, and all energy comes from life forms of one manner or another, plant or animal. But being at the top of the food chain requires some responsibility on our parts for sustainability and morality. Feeding animals to feed ourselves is not sustainable, and nutrition suffers too.

Dairy, while it doesn't sit well with me (lactose intolerance), I don't have a moral issue with. We live right by Organic Valley and Tillamook, and you see the cows roaming free and happy. I know there are farms where that's not the case, but being able to see what we buy is refreshing and comforting.

I'm not sure how that relates to my dreads other than that the ideas on the natural order of things make us who we are, and that there's going to be a higher concentration of "natural-minded" people on a natural dreads forum :)

Denver Lee
@denver-lee
12 years ago
21 posts

I decided to do something completely new each moth for the year of 2012 for my new years resolution. I want to do something that is new to my lifestyle and so far 3/27/2012 I have switched to a vegetarian diet, on my second month of dreadlocks and I love them, and im getting a tattoo for the third month.

I still need to come up with something to do for the next few months, so if anybody has any ideas...

Karrington <3
@karrington-3
12 years ago
94 posts

When I started my dreads I didn't put much thought into my diet. Although seeing the movie "The Bucket List" made me want to explore my options.

This month I have stopped eating meat entirely and I am really enjoying it. I did it partly to mark it off of my bucket list but then when everyone said "You'll never make it a month" or " We'll see how long this fad lasts" it made me more determined to stick with it. I am a Taurus and very bullheaded and when my mind is made up about something, it is GOING to happen one way or another. And I can honestly say that it has not been terribly difficult to keep it up.

I do miss meat sometimes but I truly only miss turkey and fish. Everything else I could do without. So that is what I am dealing with as as far as not eating meat and my diet goes :)

Sam Newton
@sam-newton
12 years ago
18 posts

VEGAN! I do it for my health. I don't feel like the human body was designed to eat animal products. I would have to say that my dreads and my diet are all a part of my lifestyle. I have been trying to get back in touch with nature and the way it intended everything to be. my diet, hair and many other things in my life all have a huge roll in that

/ 20

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form