Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

veggie vegan omni ital? whats your diet and hows it relate to your dreadiness (if at all)

Heidela
@heidela
13 years ago
27 posts

I eat a mainly plant based diet from our garden ..I have turned all the landscaping into either really pretty fragrent flowers for the bees butterflies and birds or edibles...

I do eat meat about 2-3 times weekly but it is either from my own flock or from a friend who raises and butchers humanly

I was a veg for almost 20 years but really became grossly anemic ..after trying everything veg I could do to correct it ...I opted to encoporate meat into my diet but with some pretty simple rules ..humane raised humane butchering

I was never an "ethical" vegetarian and do believe that human beings should eat a wide variety of food to suit their particular health and stature

I am an ethical ominvore and very particular about how my food is raised and so that limits my consumption naturally \

fortunately I live in an area where I can do this with some affordablity or I would just be eating beans and rice

(I grow beans but have to buy rice!)

alsoI do a fast once in a while to remind myself how much I really do not need ..and in spite of a tragic few years...all that I have ..since I am not a theist ...I do not have any religious or spiritual reasons for my diet ..they are all health and environmental reasons

I hate the way animals are treated in the "industry" so I refuse to eat meat unless I have seen it's life first.

updated by @heidela: 07/23/15 07:37:54AM
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
13 years ago
164 posts

We are omnivores. :/ I would like to eat mostly vegetables but I grew up in Texas and even if certain bbq items are not my favorite, I will always like meat. I prefer poultry, though, and grass-fed beef. I wish I liked more veggies but I grew up the baby with a vegetarian sister and a brother who wouldn't eat his veggies, lol.

My sister was a vegetarian when she was younger, I don't know what age she started at, but she went back to omni a few years ago. Maybe 4. I learned a little from her. A lot of tofu, but the way soy beans are grown these days I try to stay away from soy as much as possible. It can be very bad for you.

My son loves fruits, except for maybe grapes, although he won't eat all the vegetables I give him. My husband likes both meat and veggies, and mostly meat, but he can really tear up some ribs. I *hate* to hear him crunching on the bones and sucking the marrow. Ack. I think it would be difficult to be the only vegetarian in this household, if I ever wanted to go that way, since I do all the cooking... :D If I ever did become a vegetarian it would be for health and religious reasons... since as a pagan I am a big Nature person, and as one who acknowledges evolution it's just odd to eat other animals. [I love cheese but at the same time I also have a HUGE problem with drinking/consuming another animal's milk... it's for that animal, not for me! haha I have difficulty reconciling sometimes...] At the same time, I respect the food chain, and those who disagree with eating meat, to each his own! Every human is different and is entitled to their differences. :) I know this may sound hypocritical but when I am eating my food I cannot equate what's on my plate with whatever animal it is from, or I won't be able to eat it. I won't eat anything with skin on, or bones in, or gristle. Uck. And I guess I could take a leaf out of another commentor's book and say I am an ethical omnivore as well. I dislike the inhumane treatment of animals that are used for food. Actually, I dislike inhumane treatment of animals period.

Unfortunately my diet and dreadiness are not totally related.... yet. ;)

Kathryn
@kathryn
13 years ago
16 posts

i have been a vegetarian for a little over a year. about 6 months ago i found out i was allergic to dairy products, and decided i would just become a vegan. my beliefs are that humans are not any better than any animal, and we don't have a right to just go and kill mass amounts of cows and chickens and pigs, just because we want something to eat.

GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
13 years ago
393 posts

Vegan for me and I really can't pin point a specific reason. One might say it was just tne next most peaceful thing I could do at this point in my life.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

that sounds like a specific (and very good) reason

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
veggiemonster
@veggiemonster
13 years ago
7 posts

I think the key to being vegetarian/vegan successfully is simply educating yourself. I was pesco-pollo for a year (cut out mammalian meat but still ate poultry and fish), then I was fully vegetarian for a year (no meat but still ate animal products) and the whole time I sort of kept saying to myself "I'll be vegan... someday." But I was just sort of making excuses for myself until I saw documentaries like Earthlings and Food Matters and I changed my major to human nutrition and learned about what meat does to your body, and the thing that finally was the last straw was reading Eating Animals (HUGE eye opener, for anyone interested with ANY diet). I have a firm belief that if you eat it, you should at least know what IT is and where IT comes from, and if you can't handle it then maybe it's time to reconsider.

I've been fully vegan for about two months now. The only grief I had whatsoever was on Halloween when my friends were binging on chocolate and donuts but I got some vegan candy and was good to go. :) I feel like it's hard to struggle with your diet if you have the influence of all of that knowledge. I used to just think "Oh well, it's better for the animals, that's all." But what I've learned is that it's not only better for animal welfare, but it's better for the environment (the average omnivore impacts the environment on a seven times scale as the average vegan; going vegan has a much bigger impact on the world and pollution than recycling or using alternative fuel does... which was very surprising for me), it's better for my own individual health, and it's better for the health of society as a whole (who knew so many diseases are actually food borne illnesses? and many disease epidemics and pandemics have been traced back to factory farming and industrialized livestock).

So for anyone who is wanting to go veg but lacking the motivation, my best advice to you is to simply educate yourself, and if a veg diet is right for you, it'll be the only thing that feels right in the end. (Oh and tasty animal product alternatives don't hurt either... I never miss animal products anymore now that I've found the holy grail of daiya "cheese", vegan cream cheese and buttery spreads, and chicken substitutes that taste better than chicken ever did, in my opinion).

I feel like the beginning of my dreads and the beginning of my veganism are one in the same... it's all about being healthy, being green, and not being superficial. :):)

AuroraBorealisis
@auroraborealisis
13 years ago
7 posts

I have been vegetarian for 5 years and vegan for about 1 and a half. I have chosen it because I seem to be more "spiritually aware" when I eat clean. I also have a huge love for nature and animals :) ... but all in all i feel it just goes hand in hand for me.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i want you to talk to this crazy lady on you=tube (has a vid called the vegatarian myth) who claims that vegatarians are destroying the wor=ld

i tried for 2 weeks to talk sense into her but i truly think shes crazy i ended up having to block her cause i kept getting soooo many nonsense replies from her

veggiemonster said:

I think the key to being vegetarian/vegan successfully is simply educating yourself. I was pesco-pollo for a year (cut out mammalian meat but still ate poultry and fish), then I was fully vegetarian for a year (no meat but still ate animal products) and the whole time I sort of kept saying to myself "I'll be vegan... someday." But I was just sort of making excuses for myself until I saw documentaries like Earthlings and Food Matters and I changed my major to human nutrition and learned about what meat does to your body, and the thing that finally was the last straw was reading Eating Animals (HUGE eye opener, for anyone interested with ANY diet). I have a firm belief that if you eat it, you should at least know what IT is and where IT comes from, and if you can't handle it then maybe it's time to reconsider.

I've been fully vegan for about two months now. The only grief I had whatsoever was on Halloween when my friends were binging on chocolate and donuts but I got some vegan candy and was good to go. :) I feel like it's hard to struggle with your diet if you have the influence of all of that knowledge. I used to just think "Oh well, it's better for the animals, that's all." But what I've learned is that it's not only better for animal welfare, but it's better for the environment (the average omnivore impacts the environment on a seven times scale as the average vegan; going vegan has a much bigger impact on the world and pollution than recycling or using alternative fuel does... which was very surprising for me), it's better for my own individual health, and it's better for the health of society as a whole (who knew so many diseases are actually food borne illnesses? and many disease epidemics and pandemics have been traced back to factory farming and industrialized livestock).

So for anyone who is wanting to go veg but lacking the motivation, my best advice to you is to simply educate yourself, and if a veg diet is right for you, it'll be the only thing that feels right in the end. (Oh and tasty animal product alternatives don't hurt either... I never miss animal products anymore now that I've found the holy grail of daiya "cheese", vegan cream cheese and buttery spreads, and chicken substitutes that taste better than chicken ever did, in my opinion).

I feel like the beginning of my dreads and the beginning of my veganism are one in the same... it's all about being healthy, being green, and not being superficial. :):)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

So My locks don't directly move me to be a vegetarian. They only move me to feel closer to the earth. I became a veggie a little before I started my locking process. I believe that we are all connected. all the people, animals, and plants on earth. I believe that it isdisrespectfulto benefit from the life of another if I had no interaction with it. I grow a garden for many of my vegetables, but I can't grow every plant I eat in my little garden in front of my row home, but I can avoid eating meat that I did not have a hand in killing. If I were to learn how to hunt (And I would love to learn), I would have no problem eating meat again. I do eat cheese and eggs. There is no harm coming from that. I am not hurting that animal. But if I am going to kill something, I need to feel connected to it before it dies so it will know that I respect the sacrifice it made to feed me and my family

Frank Schuster
@frank-schuster
13 years ago
95 posts

I've turned back vegetarian about half a year before i started my dreads. Right now movin' closer and closer to a pure vegan diet.

Having/becoming Dreads started to increase my interests for nature, animal rights, etc. and natural relatad diets.

Last week i stumbed over a diet called Paleo Nutricien Diet . There is this guy Kurt Harris who says that the only natural diet is the diet of people who lived in the stone age 15000 years ago.

I guess that guy talks a lot of crap, but one thing made me think. He says that most of the human deseases like cancer, heart attacks, allergic reactions etc. started in the agricultural aera and that it was the biggest mistake to eat gluten grains and wheat flour.

So in "his" diet rules it is a no go to eat bread, pasta and full grain products etc. Only white rice and whole meal corn products. Wheat is only good for its starch, the rest makes you sick.

What do you think of this, besides the fact i would never go for a mostly meat based diet? Is it worth to avoid bread and every wheat flour products in a veggie/ vegan diet?

thanx :)

/ 20

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form