Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Temporary dye?

Emm Ruffle
@emm-ruffle
12 years ago
2 posts

I want to be Medusa for halloween, turning my dreads into snakes! I was thinking of sticking some wire in a few of them, to make them stand up (I've seen it done before).

I also want to have them green, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on temporary dye, or any other colouring method? I was going to wrap them in green ribbons, yarn or fabric, or maybe use Manic Panic? I've had my hair unusual colours before, but I'm not sure if I could pull off green...
Right now it's light blonde.

Does hair stay longer in dreads, or could I just wash it until all the colour comes out?

updated by @emm-ruffle: 08/20/21 11:09:24AM
Joey5
@joey5
12 years ago
83 posts
I was thinking green wraps or patterned wraps and instead of sticking wire in them, you can wrap around them. Something like you do to wrap bonsai trees. And at craft stores you can get chilled wires.This would be a healthier method for your hair. I wouldn't poke holes in my dreads. Just my 2 cents
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Sticking wire in them would be a bad idea. You've already crocheted them which has made them weak and damaged sticking a wire through them will only do a lot more harm.

Dye will stay in them a lot longer and less you use baking soda which will fade it. Wrapping them in green hemp or embroidery thread would be a better idea.

Who's to say that Medusas snakes stuck up? Although the mythology claims that she was a hideous monster turned into one by a after being raped by Zeus is more likely likely that she was a beautiful goddess and dreaded goddess who had the power to "turn into stone." Which was a nice way of saying well you know what that means In other words, she excited them.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Isai
@isai
12 years ago
10 posts

haha I never thought of it like that, all the story's made it seem she was a terrifying creature who was so ulgy* you would to turn to stone. Guess teachers have to make it sounds different to children.

soaring eagle said:

Sticking wire in them would be a bad idea. You've already crocheted them which has made them weak and damaged sticking a wire through them will only do a lot more harm.

Dye will stay in them a lot longer and less you use baking soda which will fade it. Wrapping them in green hemp or embroidery thread would be a better idea.

Who's to say that Medusas snakes stuck up? Although the mythology claims that she was a hideous monster turned into one by a after being raped by Zeus is more likely likely that she was a beautiful goddess and dreaded goddess who had the power to "turn into stone." Which was a nice way of saying well you know what that means In other words, she excited them.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well the original story was that she was a great beauty

i believe the wife of iccurus? (i suck at history and mythology)

he was off to war or something zeues raped her and at the time the victim of rape was punnished not the rapist so her bannishment was her punnishment and that she would never be allowed to fall in love for every man she looked at would be turned to stone..

furthermore it was leaked out that her head was the ultimate weapon and would turn armies to stone instantly so any man seeking power would try to take her head to use as a weapon

mythology wasn always very literal so it could be a story to explain why men ought to dominateand control women and how they feared the power women actualy had over them

Isai said:

haha I never thought of it like that, all the story's made it seem she was a terrifying creature who was so ulgy* you would to turn to stone. Guess teachers have to make it sounds different to children.

soaring eagle said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Isai
@isai
12 years ago
10 posts

Zeus doesn't seem to friendly, why I always found norse mythology cooler (with loki, thor, odin...all that jazz)

DreadedThor
@dreadedthor
12 years ago
12 posts
@Isai I agree!
Emm Ruffle
@emm-ruffle
12 years ago
2 posts

Greek mythology is complicated, theatrical and bloody, I can't help but love it.
Not sure if I'll go for a sexy Medusa, I'm trying to stand out from the crowd of semi-naked fairies and referees and Bo-Peeps and whatnot.
But yeah, green wires, fabric and hemp should do it! I'll be sure to post pictures, thanks everyone!
Also, maybe a lovely neck wound to allude to her beheading?

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form