Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The unintentional serial dreadlocker needs some advice!

Gemma Williams
@gemma-williams
11 years ago
8 posts

And a couple more

updated by @gemma-williams: 07/22/15 07:22:48AM
Call Tucker
@call-tucker
11 years ago
27 posts

You hair will lock up much faster with a 'dread-friendly' shampoo. The residue free aspect is also important, if you have straight hair the residues just wash out...with dreadlocks they dont. Thats why we dread heads we a residue free shampoo. I, and many other members of this site use this... http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPat... you can either use the liquid or the bar soaps (you just have to work a little harder to get it to foam up. These are all natural soaps, just like you want. Your progress will also speed up a lot, because all the moisturizing/ conditioning agents, found in normal shampoo, actually prevent your hair from knotting (which is what you want unless you have dreads). They also have a great pink sea salt spray that has worked well for me and and many other members.

As for the separating, its probably going to be difficult, if not painful even, initially, since you havent done it yet. You literally just rip your hair into sections, by grabbing one lock, annd ripping it apart from the other. Some find this easier to do in the shower, others when their hair is dry. Obviously if you want small dreads, your going to have to separate them smaller, and if you want them bigger, separate bigger. Keep in mind the smaller you separate, the more work your going to have separating them. You should do this as much as you need to, to keep them from knotting together.

Other than that, you can just leave your hair alone! It will most likely take around a year for your hair to be looking like mature dreads (maybe sooner considering the speed you say your hair knots). Good Luck! If you can maintain the patience needed to go through this process, you will be very happy with your results.

Gemma Williams
@gemma-williams
11 years ago
8 posts

Great thanks, I know you are right about the shampoos there is a photo my friend took a week ago and my hair hadn't been washed all week and it was quite obvious that there were dreads coming from the top but I washed it last night and today the ones on top have fallen away.....well I feel happier today knowing that I don't have a nightmare hair problem just the start of a brand new look.......going over to check out the soap

Thanks again ;-))

Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Also look into the Baking Soda (BS), apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse. This is a fantastic scalp exfoliating wash, you can scrub your scalp with your fingertips if you want, or just let it sit in and not scrub, it still works either ways.

Mix half a cup of BS to 5 cups water, pour on wet scalp and let it sit for 10-20 minutes, then rinse well.....next mix 1-2 capfuls of ACV into 5 cups of water, pour on scalp and rinse off right away or within one minute. The ACV serves as a safe conditioner and also balances the hair PH from using the BS wash. I did this wash for the entire first year and it works like a charm. You can add essential oils into the BS wash for added aroma and repair remedies, like dry scalp etc.

I now use the Dreadlock Shampoo after 1 year of forming my dreads, but still use the BS ACV once every two weeks. For myself, I preferred the shampoo over the dreadlock bar. Will use a bar when my locks are mature.

Peace

Gemma Williams
@gemma-williams
11 years ago
8 posts

Thanks again for the information about how I should look after my hair in the future. I just want to say how much just joining here and asking this question has changed my life, yes my life. Just in a few hours a whole psychological burden has disappeared, I am not going to be reaching for my hat and covering my hair in shame anymore. I thought I was quite a way from being able to say I had locks and that I would join here to find that dreads were something totally different to neglected knotty hair and that I was just a lazy cow who needed to buy a hair brush.

Making the psychological change from apermanent bad hair day to the start of what is dangerously close to really cool hair style (sorry I know it's more than a style couldn't find the right word). But this psychological change in how I view my own hair and someways myself has been very liberating and positive. I am really glad that I found this place and appreciative of the welcome.

I have began ripping my hair in to more defined locks just spending a few minutes at a time throughout the day and I can actually see the difference already. I am sure with the advice and information from this site I am going to have hair that I am proud of before I know it.

updated by @gemma-williams: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
melanie rose
@melanie-rose
11 years ago
177 posts
Some nice little dreadlings.. they're gonna be so sweet!

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form