Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Fell for the waxy lies. Now I'm ready to begin my journey.

Marco Esquandolas
@marco-esquandolas
14 years ago
15 posts
I'll make my story short. I fell for the lies and bought a kit. Combed once, waxed. Yuck. Combed them out, combed AGAIN (i know, how stupid could I be. but this was at the recommendation of Jonny) But this time I didn't use his effing wax. After this, they are all very thin from breakage. (about half size)At this point in time I am 6 months in, and my dreads are ~10" long, looking more mature, a few are very nice. But very thin, and many have lots of straight hair, and all of the looseys are peeking out from the 2nd combing.On to my question. I know if I want to start over now, it's probably going to involve some cutting. But do you think that with some SERIOUS hair conditioner, and alot of SLOW patient work with a comb, that I could possibly save 4-5" to start neglecting immediately? I dont care if it looks like shit for a while, and I can stand to leave a few super knotty ones in. I just have really grown to love the appearance and the process of natty's. I want my own... It just sucks to have to lose 2.5 years of hair to do it.Will attach photo's soon.
updated by @marco-esquandolas: 02/14/15 11:37:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well u can yes is there still wax in there? use alotta conditioner or olive oil and only comb the very last 1/8 inch very very slowly moving up eac dread..do it gently as u can and te dammage wont be so severe...not as bad as combing backwards at least..resoak often with conditioner or olive oil

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Marco Esquandolas
@marco-esquandolas
14 years ago
15 posts
Most are waxless, all have suffered severe trauma already. I imagine I'll lose a great deal more in the the removal process, due to all the unattached hair in them.It'll be sad to see them go, but I think they'll be better in the end.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
a freind did that last year, removed 3 year old waxy dreads and started fresh naturaly tey dreaded so much faster and look sooo much better..she combed em slowly over a couple weeks Mike Conley said:
Most are waxless, all have suffered severe trauma already. I imagine I'll lose a great deal more in the the removal process, due to all the unattached hair in them.

It'll be sad to see them go, but I think they'll be better in the end.

--
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
NO DONT CUT ANYTHING!lolif you wanna start over use conditioner and slowly comb out what knots there are or decide if you wanna keep what locks you do have,but don't cut a thing, you shouldn't have to,since the backcombing screwed your follicles up you can try using a shampoo with added Vitamin E in it (with biotin would be nice as well) that can help your hair to an extent,
Marco Esquandolas
@marco-esquandolas
14 years ago
15 posts
#1 Most of the tips have 2" or more of straight hair at the tips. Some up to 6"!!#2 That should be a little thicker. 35 dreads and 12" before dreading.#3 This tiny one right up front was a casualty of the 2nd try. Notice its the size of a normal section, but only 2.5" long :(
Marco Esquandolas
@marco-esquandolas
14 years ago
15 posts
#1 Straight spot in the middle, right where my hair gets tied up for work. Others have suffered the same fate.#2 Straight hair :(#3 But some of them are great!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ok took forever to see the pics on my slow connection..but got a few comments...and some good newscomments1 loose tips are actualy better without wax water runs out the ends and they dry much faster2 your dreads are very waxy, in fact more glued together with wax ten dreeaded in most places..this leads to the good newsthe waxy glued together dreads are nowhere near as knotted as they would be at 3 years..more like 3 months to a year in many places..this means if u remove alotta wax and comb out tey'll come out pretty easy..it also means that starting over they'll dread at least 3 times faster..and actualy dreadsome ares are fairly dreaded it seems..you can either start them over too..or try to just remove wax and hope for te bestseems like only a few are really well dreaded though

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oops 6 months why did i think u said 3 years//? ok thats more like it..i thought it looked like only a couple months worth

--
Marco Esquandolas
@marco-esquandolas
14 years ago
15 posts
Last night I conditioned the hell out of my hair. Woke up this morning with all sorts of crazy sh*t going on up there. I shouldve snapped a pic, but the really strange ones i started to comb before I thought about it.I've only combed one out close to the roots, but I left a few knots at the base for 2 reasons. Mostly the exponential rate of hair loss as you get to that last 2cm, but I also I feel that it will aid the new process. I ripped the bigger knot apart into a few sections I find more reasonable. The one that I took down this far may have lost ~10% of its hair in the removal process, I assume this would double if I had gone all the way to the scalp.I like this place. I was growing frustrated with my hair, totally regretting my method. I figured I would have to cut to start over. But I still want dreads, real ones, and hair doesn't just grow over night. Basically, thanks for the encouragement.Do you think that leaving a small amount of knottage close to the scalp would be good or bad for the upcoming process? I'm just worried about alot of thinning... :-/
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form