Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

awrsome dreads

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Look, people aren't pushing their opinions on anyone. What they are doing is saying, "this is to show that you don't need to spend time or money making dreads, your hair does it on your own." You say that's bad, but I say it's helpful. Maybe some people crochet their dreads and they can turn out OK (but just to note, breaking hairs on the inside is hard to see, you don't notice until they break off, so that's proof of nothing). That said, just because some people use harmful methods and it doesn't mess up their hair, doesn't mean it's not damaging. Some people die from taking ecstacy, and some don't. The fact is, there's so many sites made from people selling products and methods that give people the wrong idea. This site gives people all the information, the things that those sites don't tell. About the risks and about the fact that natural-formed dreads can work for pretty much everyone. I didn't know it was possible to dread without backcombing or using some other methods/products, and if I'd known beforehand, I would've gone natural. This site is great because not everyone wants quick dreads, they're in it for the journey too, they just didn't know it was possible to go it this way.

No-one is getting rich from telling people natural is the best way. It's simply the easiest and cheapest, and the way it gives you patience and confidence is brilliant. So why wouldn't people recommend going natural, when if you don't like it you can always try something else down the line? Whereas if you crochet first and six months later you wish you went natural, you'd have to start all over again. No-one here is being arrogant, it's just that countless people used methods and products that made their dreads weak, break off, didn't let them dread, caused them to start balding and losing hair, etc. It'd be irresponsible to not tell people those risks. If there were products and methods that did help hair dread and did no damage, people would still say, "well, I think natural is the best," but they also wouldn't judge you for using said products/methods, they'd just be happy you're dreading in a healthy way, even if they personally don't think it's the best method. People here aren't necessarily anti-products, they're anti-damaging products, which is why although people will always say natural is the first, and best, choice, they'll also say that twist & rip is good too. Because though they prefer the natural method, they'll suggest something else that isn't damaging but might appeal to that person.

updated by @tara-c: 07/28/15 04:42:24AM
James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Are you even understanding what people are saying?

Joseph skelton said:

i just didnt think fellow dread heads believed in the hole one way for everyone cookie cutter thing. my bad i guess i meant followers not haters since your saying ther can only be one way to dread

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

We never said there can be only one way. If I believed that I wouldn't have twist and ripped my hair. There's only one way to do it without damage though.

You are free to do whatever you want to your hair. Sculpta the shit out of it. Just don't expect us to stay silent about how harmful such things are. We don't bother lying. There's nothing to gain from it. We aren't profiting. We don't even expect you to actually take our advice. You have free will and it's your hair. We'd love it if you did because healthy dreads are the ultimate goal for many of us but it's all your decision.

If dreading is a journey for you, awesome. If it's merely fashion, great. Just don't lie to people. Crochet does damage. Maybe that doesn't bother you and you want the look crochet can give you but you can't pretend it isn't damaging. That would be wrong.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

So you joined S.E.'s site and then deleted his comments when he told you a simple fact? Lol.

And what do you think a lock sculpta is? It's a crochet hook!

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

It's not about there being one way, it's about people refusing to stay silent when people decide to use methods that MANY people on here have tried themselves and had horribly damaging results. Not telling people the risks so you don't appear arrogant is selfish. Yeah, they can still use those methods and products, but at least they were warned of the risks, they weren't just bombarded with one-sided information. So then they can make their opinion based on knowing all sides of the argument.

Joseph skelton said:

i just didnt think fellow dread heads believed in the hole one way for everyone cookie cutter thing. my bad i guess i meant followers not haters since your saying ther can only be one way to dread

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

What are you going to prove exactly with your camera?

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Not yet anyway. It's your hair do what you want, hopefully they survive. That's what you want to hear right?

Joseph skelton said:

how bomb ass my dreads are even though i used the sculpta. no bladness ,breaking or other damage

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

It's not us bombarding people with information. What I'm saying is, the first sites that come up are the ones with an agenda, selling products. People on this site have the chance to tell people that there are many people whose hair has been damaged from using those products. If you can't understand that people here are trying to help people, then you're a complete idiot. If you've seen hundreds of people use those products and then end up combing them out, shaving their head, having dreads fall out, going bald, wasting a hell of a lot of money, etc., and you saw someone about to do the same thing, you wouldn't tell them about all the people you know who've damaged their hair from doing the same things? If you wouldn't then...well, why are you even here? You dislike people helping people. No-one is forcing anyone on their methods, they're just telling people of their experiences so others won't end up the same as the many people who've ended up unhappy. No-one here gets a kick out of advising people on what to do, it's simply a case of giving people the facts they won't see on DHHQ or wherever else. They're biased, so this is the other side of that argument. With a lot of the members here former customers. Just because you wouldn't bother giving someone advice when you see they're about to possibly mess up their dreads, doesn't mean you should criticise people who do want to help people.

Also, like I said, just because your dreads look good, doesn't mean they are. There's a whole lot of hair on the inside, and healthy-looking dreads can break off without warning cos they're so weakened.

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts

You've been dreading for less than two weeks. You're dreads aren't proof of anything. Of course they look pretty. That's why people get suckered into damaging their dreads. They wouldn't damage their dreads if they didn't think it would make them look good.

Just so you know, dreads aren't even mature in the first year. You have a good while before your hair can be used as proof of anything other than the effectiveness of DHHQ marketing. How much did you spend on that sculpta? You could have bought it at walmart for $1.

Joseph skelton said:

how bomb ass my dreads are even though i used the sculpta. no bladness ,breaking or other damage

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

I think we are wasting our time, seems like we are talk to a wall. Just let him do what he wants, hopefully he'll grow up and learn the difference between advice and forcing opinions on people. I hope I don't offend him but I'm guessing he's very young 12 maybe? And doesn't need any advise.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form