Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Drying your hair purposely for dreads, long term effects...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

just a lil note

if u look around the site u will find hundreds of cases were ppl started with ways to speed it up only to start over naturally before thy were even mature

others after years started over naturally

my opoint is

give natural a try

u can always twist n rip later

but if u jump into tnr and 3-6 months in decide u wish u went natural u gotta start over

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/23/15 07:47:53AM
AlyssaAnne
@alyssaanne
12 years ago
15 posts

i used the twist and rip method on my hair and it worked great. only use a residue free shampoo. not conditioner on dreads ever. thats the only "drying out" you shound do. you dont want weak dreads. i also used wax a few times and thought i had made an informed decision, but i was wrong. ive removed all wax and im at 5 months now. my advice. make sure your sections are as square or round as possible. i have some that are kinda rectangles and they try to grow together all the time. i had to twist some together because they became immpossible. and 2nd is to take you time and really do it as tight as possible. the looser they are the more loops you will have. here is a vid showing you how to TnR.

_...

ps. in thevideo she put the rubber band on the before twisting and ripping. i would not do that. i would put the band onafter the dread is formed to insure the root is as tight as possible.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

there's natural, neglect, and forced. neglect is the best. That's when you just don't do anything but separate after you wash. natural includes tnr and backcombing. Back combing is more damaging than tnr. Eagle explained tnr well. That's the best way to get locks started. After you do that, you don't have to do anything. They'll come out a little bit after the first few washes, but really quickly, you'll start seeing improvements. the TnR method just helps the sections get started

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i would say dont section square roiund or anything random sizes and shapes

and do not do it too tight tight dreads way slower looser dreads faster loops are it dreading if it didnt loop it wass too tight to dread yet it gotta loosen to loop

and i would not use rubber bands at all ever ever ever

AlyssaAnne said:

i used the twist and rip method on my hair and it worked great. only use a residue free shampoo. not conditioner on dreads ever. thats the only "drying out" you shound do. you dont want weak dreads. i also used wax a few times and thought i had made an informed decision, but i was wrong. ive removed all wax and im at 5 months now. my advice. make sure your sections are as square or round as possible. i have some that are kinda rectangles and they try to grow together all the time. i had to twist some together because they became immpossible. and 2nd is to take you time and really do it as tight as possible. the looser they are the more loops you will have. here is a vid showing you how to TnR.

_...

ps. in thevideo she put the rubber band on the before twisting and ripping. i would not do that. i would put the band onafter the dread is formed to insure the root is as tight as possible.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

correction

natural is :

neglect organic freeform

no man made manipulation at all except seperation

backcomb and tnr are not in the natural realm since man manipulates and forces the process

Baba Fats said:

there's natural, neglect, and forced. neglect is the best. That's when you just don't do anything but separate after you wash. natural includes tnr and backcombing. Back combing is more damaging than tnr. Eagle explained tnr well. That's the best way to get locks started. After you do that, you don't have to do anything. They'll come out a little bit after the first few washes, but really quickly, you'll start seeing improvements. the TnR method just helps the sections get started

--
elke.in.alaska
@elkeinalaska
12 years ago
90 posts
By that definition I would think if you washed using anything manmade that they'd no longer be natural. Actually separating as well. That's manipulation too. Sorry. Gah I woke up feeling like a devils advocate today. :P
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

read my definition discussion from yesterday

natural is based on formation only

washing ..cleaning anmd water helps it dread wether u use manmade or not doesnt matter its being clean getting wet that matters

seperATION does not form dreads actualy oposite seperation can prevent dreads if u seperate every hair

so seperation does not make thformation unatural since it still dreads without force

--
Michael Malloy
@michael-malloy
12 years ago
27 posts

i think i will just go with the t&r and just leave em alone after that. i just tried one and it worked out pretty good but i left my hair a little greasy purposely just in case i messed it up. so i'll clean my hair start using ivory soap on it to dry it out and have a friend help with the t&r probably very soon, thanks for everyones input and thanks for the vid! it helped alot

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

would not use ivory it will leave soap scum

and make sure thdo not section too big!

most common mistake..

u make a pencil sized dread out of a quarter size se4ction it becomes a quarter size dread in months

u make a quarter size dread from a 2 inch sectiuon u get wrist size dreads

so be sure the roiot area is an inch or less....less is best in case they congo

--
AlyssaAnne
@alyssaanne
12 years ago
15 posts

well. what i did worked best for me. and ive learned by paying attention to my hair. and i know the bands helped my hair form seperatly in the beginning. everyone has there own way of doing things. while there are a few "wrongs" like wax and "rights" like residue free shampoo, i think everybody does what they think is best. and if somebody tells me they use a crochet needle i dont look down on them. if thats what worked for them, who am i to judge? so do what you feel is best for you hair. :)

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form