Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I want natural dreads but need them tidy....?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I was a cook for over 4 years. I had really nappy natural locks. No problems. It looks messy, but if you have a hair net, tam on, you should be fine. You don't have to cut or comb them out, jut let them keepp doing their thing. It's a law, you know, that jobs can't discriminate for race, religion or creed. Creed is what you believe in. If you have a strong reason for having locks, then that counts under governmental protection

updated by @baba-fats: 07/03/15 06:13:43AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly

and you give up your rights when u give up your convictiobs

by saying im willing to crochet or wax to make them tidy you are saying im not fully committed to my dreads and they can make u cut or comb em out

everyone who says i need tidy dreads for my job is actualy giving up their rights to have dreds at all and then its up to the manager to decide their fate

Baba Fats said:

I was a cook for over 4 years. I had really nappy natural locks. No problems. It looks messy, but if you have a hair net, tam on, you should be fine. You don't have to cut or comb them out, jut let them keepp doing their thing. It's a law, you know, that jobs can't discriminate for race, religion or creed. Creed is what you believe in. If you have a strong reason for having locks, then that counts under governmental protection

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
SurrealLove
@surreallove
13 years ago
12 posts

I'm on my third set of dreads right now, all of which were backcombed (because I didn't know of any other way). All of them had kinks and character. In fact, my last set, which I had for a year and a half, I combed out because I was tired of them looking so untidy! Silly me, if I'd left them alone, they would be so beautiful right now. I'm sure over time they will look more natural and gain more character. Just wash and separate, as stated before. Best of luck on your journey.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

Sorry to break the news to you eagle, but I found a job that you really can't have locks for unless they are neat and tidy. Teaching. Unfortunately, although most teachers are staunch liberals, there is a certainappearancethat has to be maintained. Parents don't want to leave their kids in the care of someone who looks like a pot head. It's a sad truth, but that's the way it is. Dreadies still have that stigma attached to them. Teachers need to look as conservative as possible. You can be a littleeccentric, but dreadlocks are pushing the envelope. Black people can have them, but again, that's because people still view locks as an African thing.

I know there are some exceptions. There was a guy in a philly elementary school with locks, but he only got the job because they had laid off too many teachers and they needed someone to fill the position

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i hate to brweak it to u but we have several teachers here with natural dreads

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i have freinds who are teachers elementart=y hs and profrssors in universities with natural dreads

i know at least a dozen teachers with natural dreads

and guess what the kids love em

if you are your kids favorite teacher then thst is what matters to the parents more then how u look

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

There are exceptions, and universities are different. the kids are older.

But as a general rule, it's not really an excepted look for teachers. I know there are some. Like I said, I know of one in a philly elementary school. But as a whole, teachers are supposed to look conservative

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

When my girlfriends kids found out I had locks, they go all excited. They do love them. It's the parents that have a problem. not all, but enough that make a fuss will prevent a school from hiring a teacher with locks. Parents seem to think we will be give kids a bad influence and "contribute to the delinquency of minors"

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

Oh, and what schools are they at? My girlfriend would love to grow hers back. It would be nice to know where she's got a chance of having them

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

since when? ive never had a consservative teacher in my life exept when i went for programming school and we called him brown suite cause he wore the same sweat stained brownsuite every day that looked like a cat shreaded it up

the 1 most conservative teacher was the worse teacher i ever had

teachers should be relatable approachable

--

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form