Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Comparison: Backcomb/Crochet/Wax vs. T&R/Neglect/No Products

MamaEmmelia
@mamaemmelia
13 years ago
19 posts
I crocheted dreads for my mom last summer & when I found out about this site, I called her immediately & told her to stop crocheting, root twisting, & screwing around with them. She did, & her dreads are doing well, but like SE said, it'll definitely take some time. It's all about patience, this journey is!

Chelsea LookWhatTheCatDraggedIn said:
I myself am on my second set and share the same story. I crochet my dreads in the begining of my journey and they do not change. However my roots are beginning to dread up and the root end of the dread and it's kind of a wavy patch and I'm digging it. Of you don't do anything they become nice.I wish I had never crochet!!

updated by @mamaemmelia: 07/22/15 08:05:25AM
MamaEmmelia
@mamaemmelia
13 years ago
19 posts
Thank you!

Amber Claire said:
Welcome, look forward to seeing some lovley dreads.
MamaEmmelia
@mamaemmelia
13 years ago
19 posts
Absolutely - it totally changes the experience. =)

Crystal O. said:
Great to hear! It is enjoyable to just let go and watch them grow!
Thomas
@thomas
13 years ago
26 posts
I didn't do straight crocheting.. it was more of a crocheting rip and tear sort of thing I dont twist so much but used the crochet to increase the weave of my hair. though my hair textures is African American so that might contribute to the variance of results
Ben Goulter
@ben-goulter
13 years ago
3 posts

hey im on my second lot of dreads which are about 7 yrs old with no product 100% natural they took ruffly a year to like half decent, but my previous set i used alot of wax in the first year and then used nothing, after another year and a bit they started to go mouldy,,,,, so i cut them off about 2in long combed them out (took ten painful hours)

go natural all they way

westtxasmber
@westtxasmber
13 years ago
8 posts
weird is about how id sum it up...we share the same story mammaellen i did what you did, im also on my second set, which i did t & r no stinky wax. whats kind of eye opening though is the fact that i had my sister put in the waxy dreads for me and then went to a salon to fix them. they actually put more crap...and i mean a lot more crap in my hair, pinned it down hair sprayed the crap out of it and set me under one of those hair dryers...they were totally clueless, i mean so was i at the time, but they were supposed to be pro's. needless to say i learned my lesson the hard way...but im day 1 into my more natural dreads and loving it :)
Toshi
@toshi
13 years ago
5 posts
I had the same thing too, 3 years back, I had dreadlocks by crocheting and waxingand it'sso uncomfy.. the experience is still fresh in my memory.. my head felts so stickycoz of the wax and i had to grab my crochet hook every week to poke the loose back inside and tighten each of my "fake" dreads. i was doing that drilloverand over for 10 months that ifelt like a crocheting and waxing junkie and on top of that, my new grown hair did not even dread itself. so finallyI grabbed a scissor andcut them off with my own hands, mygrandma and momgot so happy though.....it wasa really really bad experience. I will never ever crochet and wax not for all the tea in china..anyhow, I am on my 3rd week of natural dreading and I am so grateful with this site. just gotta be a liitle more patient for my hair to dread. cheers to all dreadheads and soon to be dreadheads.
Bobbi Patricia Kayleen Johnson
@bobbi-patricia-kayleen-johnson
13 years ago
1 posts

I had a similar story as well, but I had my old dreads for a long time, then cut them off because I wanted to dye my hair, I died the shit out of it, then it got long.. now I am dreading for the second time. I am also using the Twist and Rip. I have been letting my hair, "natural Dread" for 8 weeks before I started to twist and rip the alreadybeggingto form sections, it looks fanfreakingtastic! Plus, I love my dreads, I am a classy girl, and dont wanna have "ratty ass smelly hair" the twist and rip allows you theavailabilityfor a shower right away and clean beautiful happy dreads.. Stay away from that wax unless you want mold! :)

uoma
@uoma
13 years ago
13 posts
so many people share the same story... we have to spread the word so that people dont have to go through this!!!!! i am soooooooooo lucky to have found this site before i started (always check a couple of different sources :D) congratz mamma emmelia :D look forward to following your progress!!! :D
Coen Cameron
@coen-cameron
13 years ago
12 posts

This is exactly how I feel and what I want to do. Only problem is that I am going to do mine over a course of weeks, just a few dreads put in here and there, without any real formal sectioning, I hope it is doable. Im so glad that someone else has done dreads the way I want to. How are your dreads now?

Have a good one.

/ 3

Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form