Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A few questions, which should be easy 4 any dready 2 answer

supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
Hey peeps!O.K so when you get dreads are they itchy, should they be itchy, how long do they stay itchy for?I've heard throughout the site that ppl say like a 'dread fell off', wtf does the actually dread just fall out or does the end fall off? <<Thanks for your help pplsMike(JAH=GOD)
updated by @supp: 02/14/15 11:08:49AM
Tom Twedd
@tom-twedd
14 years ago
28 posts
Hey,Um, honestly everyone's dreads are different and if their itchy, it's nothing to panic about, and if they're not itchy doesn't mean they're not dreading up either. Again, all dreads are unique so if they're itchy for a while, or not that long, it depends on you.If your really struggling with itching I've heard a bit about massaging the scalp helping to relive the itching. I'll have a look in a sec and post what i find out.And I've heard about crocheted and backcombed dreads falling off because of some of the damage they can do, which ultimately can weaken the roots so much the dread does fall of, and if wool rubbing or twisting is done to an excess, well lets say people twist and rub dreads right off, but a natural, healthy dread falling off? Never heard of it :SJah bless brother x
Tom Twedd
@tom-twedd
14 years ago
28 posts
Okay, just to add to the massaging, here's what you want to do. Btw, be careful you don't undo any knots!

Use the balls of your fingertips in a circular motion with firm pressure and upward strokes. Avoid scratching or using your nails which can create scalp sores. Oh and tea tree oil is supposed to be really good for dreads, never used it myself but plenty of people on here have, and it can give you a healthier scalp and relive itching. I think you can pick it up from any sort of herbal store.

Hope this helps brother
supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
Thanks Guys much appreciated! :-D
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
your scalp has to get ueed to not being combed and brushed so it will itch for a bitand yea dreads fall off from over working thgem twisting felting and interlocking especialy ..crochet can weaken em enough to break tooum,m the ends can fall off when they reach a terminal length for some ppl or wear off from dragging on the gfround or being dammaged by getting wrapped up or caught in things stepped on etcbut healthy dreads shouldnt ever break till they are so long they get caught in car doors and get dammaged from just being so long they get caught on things alotfor instance i lost some beard dreads when my beard dreads got long enough to sit on em by accident

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
yea dude i find my head itched on and off for a bit, and now it just ictches a bit after i wash it like as its drying oh and when i sweat a lot it makes it itch like a mother f**ker
supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
I had split ends does that meen my dreads are weak>?Thanks in advance

soaringeagle said:
your scalp has to get ueed to not being combed and brushed so it will itch for a bit

and yea dreads fall off from over working thgem twisting felting and interlocking especialy ..crochet can weaken em enough to break too

um,m the ends can fall off when they reach a terminal length for some ppl or wear off from dragging on the gfround or being dammaged by getting wrapped up or caught in things stepped on etc
but healthy dreads shouldnt ever break till they are so long they get caught in car doors and get dammaged from just being so long they get caught on things alot
for instance i lost some beard dreads when my beard dreads got long enough to sit on em by accident
supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
Thanks Man (And thanks 4 using Jah in the correct context, I hate when ppl use jah like another way of saying yeh)

Tom Twedd said:
Hey,

Um, honestly everyone's dreads are different and if their itchy, it's nothing to panic about, and if they're not itchy doesn't mean they're not dreading up either. Again, all dreads are unique so if they're itchy for a while, or not that long, it depends on you.

If your really struggling with itching I've heard a bit about massaging the scalp helping to relive the itching. I'll have a look in a sec and post what i find out.

And I've heard about crocheted and backcombed dreads falling off because of some of the damage they can do, which ultimately can weaken the roots so much the dread does fall of, and if wool rubbing or twisting is done to an excess, well lets say people twist and rub dreads right off, but a natural, healthy dread falling off? Never heard of it :S
Jah bless brother x
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
jah split ends arenty gonna weaken the dread but split ends could be a symptooom ..backcombing lifs up and dammages alot of the cuticles along the hair shaft that kinda dammage weakens each individual hair..slightlybut that alones not gonna cause a dread tio break musch easirradd to it friction dammage from rubbing rolling etc and its weaker stillcrochet and u dont weaken it u break the hair into peicesa rope made from hemp is many times stronger then a cotton rope because of the length of in tact fibers a dread where each hair mostly (u lose some to shedding but they remain long) is connected to the head and in tact to the tip should have alot of strength all your dreads together should support the weight of 6 adult elephants (or was it 8 or even 16? its a hell of aklot though) a single 1 inch dread should suport twice your body weightnow we have seen 1 member with crochetted dreads dive in a pool (a high dive) and the water pressure alone broke off 4 dreadsfelting like the dreadheadhq lock docta literaly shreads every hair into itty bitty peices so they can get so weak they cant support theyre own weightso u can see split enss arent gonna weaken an entire dread that can supoort 6 elephants but ppl do some really dumb things to dreads so they get so weak they cant support 2 ounces

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
O.k thanks mate,Yeh I haven't got the full dreads hapnin yet so I was thinking that mabey I should cut the split ends before the fully dread, but I guess if it doesn't weakin that much, its not point cutting the ends off. (+long dreads are 10X cooler ^^)

soaringeagle said:
jah split ends arenty gonna weaken the dread but split ends could be a symptooom ..backcombing lifs up and dammages alot of the cuticles along the hair shaft that kinda dammage weakens each individual hair..slightly
but that alones not gonna cause a dread tio break musch easirr

add to it friction dammage from rubbing rolling etc and its weaker still
crochet and u dont weaken it u break the hair into peices
a rope made from hemp is many times stronger then a cotton rope because of the length of in tact fibers a dread where each hair mostly (u lose some to shedding but they remain long) is connected to the head and in tact to the tip should have alot of strength all your dreads together should support the weight of 6 adult elephants (or was it 8 or even 16? its a hell of aklot though) a single 1 inch dread should suport twice your body weight

now we have seen 1 member with crochetted dreads dive in a pool (a high dive) and the water pressure alone broke off 4 dreads

felting like the dreadheadhq lock docta literaly shreads every hair into itty bitty peices so they can get so weak they cant support theyre own weight

so u can see split enss arent gonna weaken an entire dread that can supoort 6 elephants but ppl do some really dumb things to dreads so they get so weak they cant support 2 ounces
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form