Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreadlocks journey vs dreads instillation

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
renneewe thats veruy much the pointwhen you start you usualy have no idea how it will affect you but it will affect you anywayyou can choose the maximum gain or the minimal impactbut ..like so many once you start yoir dreads and are a few years into it you may..or probably will wish you had a more full dreading experience not just having your hair yanked fir hours , but had your dreads grow out of how you live your lifeit was not meant to imply anyone who chooses a diferent way is a lesser person just that there should be more careful thought into what you hope to gain then how you hope to look and that your choicce in how you dread should be based more on thatand when i was saying instalation i meant ..professionall paid for not do it yourself

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/22/15 06:47:15AM
Renee
@renee
14 years ago
22 posts
It is, I imagine, a much more personal experience as you sort of develop a relationship with your budding dreads (though I don't have the "instillation" experience to compare with). I am happy that I did not pay someone. I did look into that, though, went another route, and am loving the natural progression of things.You touched an important key here...and that is that for many of us, this site opened up the possibility of that experience that so easily could have been missed based on simply not knowing! Just talking about it can have an impact. Good stuff... :-)

soaringeagle said:
renneewe thats veruy much the point
when you start you usualy have no idea how it will affect you but it will affect you anyway
you can choose the maximum gain or the minimal impact
but ..like so many once you start yoir dreads and are a few years into it you may..or probably will wish you had a more full dreading experience not just having your hair yanked fir hours , but had your dreads grow out of how you live your life

it was not meant to imply anyone who chooses a diferent way is a lesser person just that there should be more careful thought into what you hope to gain then how you hope to look and that your choicce in how you dread should be based more on that

and when i was saying instalation i meant ..professionall paid for not do it yourself
Vates
@vates
14 years ago
66 posts
I cant wait until the day I can attend a gathering ....
Mikey Mikez
@mikey-mikez
14 years ago
90 posts
i absolutelly agree with everything said here! ....sometimes (usually) here i get the impression that hair is much more important than people. we dont care what people want, because it doesnt matter, what matters is hair. dont touch it, if u do u ll get a bad feedback here..what im trying to say here, i like this forum, but it will be better if we gain more understanding for a variety in this world.we r here to advice people, not to order them what to do...

Knottysleeves said:
Exactly my point -- dreads are already an unconventional hairstyle and it takes a lot of self-acceptance & pride to have them at all, regardless of how they were started or are maintained, or why you wanted them (even if just purely for fashion).

I just don't really see SE's point of lumping people into categories, and trying to assign motivations to their personal preferences & choices. Johnny Clean did the exact same thing in his dreadlocks treaty thing, implying that anyone against the idea of dread wax must obviously be a hippy-dippy type on some cosmic spiritual magic carpet ride, and it really ticked me off. This isn't a black & white world; we're all infinite shades of grey, and I think it's more productive to focus on what unites us -- regardless of our dreading choices -- than about perceived differences. I'm not keen on maintenance or salon dreads either, but if someone makes an informed decision and wants those kinds of dreads, who am I to tell them their path is somehow "wrong" or not meaningful enough, and that they'd be happier if they'd done it differently?

As for anxiety, look at how many frustrated posts we get here from people going the natural/neglect route... and not all of them decide to keep going. :-) Just to keep some perspective.

(Sorry Chewin, I'm not ranting at you... just ranting in general!)
Kathleen1
@kathleen1
14 years ago
28 posts
just because someone has starter dreads or non neglect dreads doesnt mean it isnt a journey for em too.wtf?
Renee
@renee
14 years ago
22 posts
So well said, I agree. We are, indeed, in shades of gray...the world is painted in them, and I don't attempt to pretend that I can judge the intentions based on what my limited eye can see.To presume that a preference for a look is a lack of confidence is an unstable assumption. Perhaps fully developing a look that they identify with is, to them, becoming . Why are they concerned with the way things look? How can we know that? That's like trying to judge someone's heart.

Knottysleeves said:
Exactly my point -- dreads are already an unconventional hairstyle and it takes a lot of self-acceptance & pride to have them at all, regardless of how they were started or are maintained, or why you wanted them (even if just purely for fashion).

I just don't really see SE's point of lumping people into categories, and trying to assign motivations to their personal preferences & choices. Johnny Clean did the exact same thing in his dreadlocks treaty thing, implying that anyone against the idea of dread wax must obviously be a hippy-dippy type on some cosmic spiritual magic carpet ride, and it really ticked me off. This isn't a black & white world; we're all infinite shades of grey, and I think it's more productive to focus on what unites us -- regardless of our dreading choices -- than about perceived differences. I'm not keen on maintenance or salon dreads either, but if someone makes an informed decision and wants those kinds of dreads, who am I to tell them their path is somehow "wrong" or not meaningful enough, and that they'd be happier if they'd done it differently?

As for anxiety, look at how many frustrated posts we get here from people going the natural/neglect route... and not all of them decide to keep going. :-) Just to keep some perspective.

(Sorry Chewin, I'm not ranting at you... just ranting in general!)
Renee
@renee
14 years ago
22 posts
In all things, we find layers of motivation. For example, some choose to serve the hungry out of a true desire to share, and others for the image it will portray. We can do things in life, down to our very breath, with reverence, or without, with a whole lot of gray in between. The job of gauging someone's intention seems to fall beyond a finite creature like me...
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i'm so sorry:( i feel so bad and responsible for your set back since i was the one who recommended the shampoo to you.i'm not seeing anything happen to my hair no matter what i use. i do like how clean my hair gets with the shampoo and the tea tree in it really helps my scalp. every time i do a bs wash and acv rinse i get a slimy residue left behind no matter what i do. i'm thinking about t&r some of the natural sectioning that is happening especially on the top. my hair is exactly the same as it was about a month ago. i call this my patience journey and i think no matter what way we choose they will all require patience.again, i'm really sorry.

Chewin Change said:
yea i agree Knotty

in fact yesterday I used giovanni's tea tree triple threat and it all but ruined my progress.

don't think i'm gonna keep goin with the natural/neglect method cause it plain and simply doesn't work for my hair right now. i'm gonna grow out my hair and dread it.. still wash every other day but for the most part it's not doing much of anything.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form