Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

thinking about going natural

Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
so after my backcombing/sectioning catastrophe, i'm thinking about going natural.i have a couple of questions first.......(1) what do you do about a part? can you part your hair somehow without combing? that question probably sounds stupid. i just would like to have my off center/side part.(2) how do you wash your hair/scalp without undoing all the knotting(especially in the beginning)?(3) i have quite a bit of broken hairs now do to the backcombing, will they dread into larger dreads that form or will there be these 4" or so hairs all over my head for quite a while?(4) i have long, thin, soft hair. i know everyones hair is different but how long would it take to start seeing some knotting? (another dumb question i'm sure)thanks for the help!
updated by @heather: 02/15/15 11:42:30AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
congrats on going natural1 with dreads the parts vannish anyway since sections are random u dont have a part no more but u can flip the dreads over 1 way or the other or back or any ol way u wont see any "part" but they will fall more to the side as if parted if u just toss em that way2 wash with the baking soda and u never touch the hair3 yea they will but more will take theyre placesdont worry bout it4 impossibly to guess but u will see progress within weeks how much is harfd to say long hair helps soft hairr slows it so average i guesswhen u dont condition did u comb out tangles? if so it will dread well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
1) part your hair with your fingers and don't run them all the way through your hair.2) just scrub your scalp and rinse down (again without running your fingers through your hair)3) I had a chunk of two inch hairs from cutting off a dread that merged with another dreads in about 2 months.4) to be 100% honest, I gave my hair a year of natural and had little to no results of which to speak.my boyfriend on the other hand has almost 2/3 of his hair nicely dreaded thanks to about a year of natural dreading. There is no way to know how long it will take until you wait it out.That being said, good luck!!
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i have virgin hair. no heat appliances, no hair color. i can wash with just shampoo and run a comb through easily. my hair underneath at the back is curly and the top is wavy. i'm figuring the curly part will knot up quite well.
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
after a year did you end up doing something else or did you stick with it? Lex said:
1) part your hair with your fingers and don't run them all the way through your hair.
2) just scrub your scalp and rinse down (again without running your fingers through your hair)
3) I had a chunk of two inch hairs from cutting off a dread that merged with another dreads in about 2 months.
4) to be 100% honest, I gave my hair a year of natural and had little to no results of which to speak.
my boyfriend on the other hand has almost 2/3 of his hair nicely dreaded thanks to about a year of natural dreading. There is no way to know how long it will take until you wait it out.

That being said, good luck!!
did
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
lolvirgin hair lol reminded me of a how to dread thread on another forum where the kid 1sts recomended "pleasuring the hair" using a masterbation (male) motionthen palm rolling agressivly enough to cause heat\sorry just brought up a memmory and maybe losing your hair virginity might help..lol (joking not suggesting)give it a few weeks and lets see how it progressesput a wool sweatter over your pillowand spraw the hair with sea salt solutioni dont think it will be too hard to dread

--
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
LOL!!!! ummmm....ya.i went down to the beach last weeks and collected some sea water and put it into a spray bottle. hope that will help.how do you know when to pull apart a section? how big should they be? soaringeagle said:
lol virgin hair lol reminded me of a how to dread thread on another forum where the kid 1sts recomended "pleasuring the hair" using a masterbation (male) motion
then palm rolling agressivly enough to cause heat

\sorry just brought up a memmory and maybe losing your hair virginity might help..lol (joking not suggesting)

give it a few weeks and lets see how it progresses
put a wool sweatter over your pillow
and spraw the hair with sea salt solution
i dont think it will be too hard to dread
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
after a year I ended up micro-braiding my hair for Burning man, and when I got home I back combed a lot of it. No particular sections, just messing up the hair and starting to form some tangles. I tried TnR too, but those fell out almost immediately. I think the time in the desert dried my hair out a bit, and it started locking up pretty quickly in the sections I had back-combed. I used beads and hairs wraps to guide my problem sections, and didn't do much real ripping at all until five months in, and then I just did the back.It's been over a year now and I have had to rip the sides a little, but for the most part everything has settled nicely into place. The front took a lot longer to really dread, but it is coming along nicely with the help of some beads.I have five-month pictures on my profile, and I have to put some one years ones up when I get the chance. I will be the first to point out that my hair is anything but neat and consistent tho...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
if they get over an inch id seperate emif 2 sections start to grow together and the roots sections over an inch id seperate em

--
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
just sent a friend request so i can see your pictures. thanks! Lex said:
after a year I ended up micro-braiding my hair for Burning man, and when I got home I back combed a lot of it. No particular sections, just messing up the hair and starting to form some tangles. I tried TnR too, but those fell out almost immediately. I think the time in the desert dried my hair out a bit, and it started locking up pretty quickly in the sections I had back-combed. I used beads and hairs wraps to guide my problem sections, and didn't do much real ripping at all until five months in, and then I just did the back.

It's been over a year now and I have had to rip the sides a little, but for the most part everything has settled nicely into place. The front took a lot longer to really dread, but it is coming along nicely with the help of some beads.
I have five-month pictures on my profile, and I have to put some one years ones up when I get the chance. I will be the first to point out that my hair is anything but neat and consistent tho...
can see
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form