Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What dreading methods did you use?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
what would u do different?remember possibly thousands can learn from our experiences and mistakes Iain said:
backcombed/waxed because I didn't think there was any other method, they looked very funny looking and looked progressively worse through out the next 4months, actually even at 7ish months they still looked bad, I stuck with it all, joined this site around it's creation when I was at 6ish months (I think)
once I gave them enough time, w/o putting crap in it they looked alot better, did a little bit of crocheting mostly as a learning experience, but did little that left any aesthetic impact except blunting one.
now that I've had them for so long I can't imagine going back, they've changed so much from the mess they used to be. patience is truly a virtue.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/16/15 09:03:03AM
matt2
@matt2
14 years ago
40 posts
twisted and riped
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
natural neglect with a little help of wool rubbing in the very beginning
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
soaringeagle said:
what would u do different?
remember possibly thousands can learn from our experiences and mistakes
Personally, with my hair type knowing what I do now, I definitely woulda gone natural, my hair dreaded in a matter of days except I didn't realize that was how locks happened an all that was required was to separate, or I woulda T&R a few since I've gotten a hang on that method as well,also would have excluded wax entirely, all it did was harden my thicker locks, and build up inside them,the biggest thing though, I would have been alot more patient with things, having had mine for about 15months, it's interesting to witness how much they change, I think many of the things I did were counter-productive, such as using many rubberbands, waxing, aggressively palm rolling at times, even some of the crocheting kinda screwed up my locks while I experimented with that, (caused certain areas to never lock up properly)
Seven
@seven
14 years ago
26 posts
started neglecting for about a week then did twist and rip some during algebra the rest when i couldnt sleep
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
I actually have some back-combed, some TnR, and mostly natural.I am curious and indecisive :) and very pleased with the result.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
thats all great info for people dso u think theyd lock up just as fast if u did nothing?it surprises me sometimes when ppl get si impatient after just as week or less Iain said:
soaringeagle said:
what would u do different?
remember possibly thousands can learn from our experiences and mistakes

Personally, with my hair type knowing what I do now, I definitely woulda gone natural, my hair dreaded in a matter of days except I didn't realize that was how locks happened an all that was required was to separate, or I woulda T&R a few since I've gotten a hang on that method as well,
also would have excluded wax entirely, all it did was harden my thicker locks, and build up inside them,
the biggest thing though, I would have been alot more patient with things, having had mine for about 15months, it's interesting to witness how much they change, I think many of the things I did were counter-productive, such as using many rubberbands, waxing, aggressively palm rolling at times, even some of the crocheting kinda screwed up my locks while I experimented with that, (caused certain areas to never lock up properly)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
happens all the time, I've been reading (elsewhere like on facebook site groups) people wondering why their roots aren't locked after 6-7days, an you see people telling them to do all kind of weird things to them, when I'm trying to comfort them saying it's ok those usually take the longest, give it the most time. I know for a fact some of my roots would have locked up way faster if I didn't try putting wax in straight hair, re-backcombing(I fail to see how re-backcombing can ever do any good ever at roots but people were recommending that at the time so I was like o ok w/e ill try it on this one)I think if I substituted all the crap I did for just relaxing an going to the beach an having a good time I woulda fared a lot better in the earlier months.
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
Mine were backcombed and waxed, kept waxing for about 2 weeks before i couldnt be bothered anymore then maintained when i found out about the crotchet needle cause it was novel and fun and then i couldnt be bothered to do that anymore lol then i found this site at 6 months into my dread journey and have left them alone ever since and there doing gooooood xD this is what they looked like

updated by @jack-roth: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Nicolas Faieta
@nicolas-faieta
14 years ago
17 posts
I'm about 2 months in just totally neglecting my hair other than some seperating and habbitual twisting with my fingers. I'm looking forward to the next months progress because I have some signifigant seperations in the forming locks.
updated by @nicolas-faieta: 07/10/15 01:59:32AM

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form