Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

interlocking dreadlocks causes dreads to fall off

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well said.. and it only takes 1 bit of bad advice among thousands of good advice to screw things up for someoneif 900 ppl say its a bad idea and only 1 thinks its a good idea maybe that 1 should just do it quietl;y and find out for themselves but to insist its ok despite the fact that everyone else says its not is just goiunmg to harm somneone else who beliecves ulike i said before your free to screw uop your own hair just dont screw up others

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/09/15 06:49:58AM
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
As a correction, this is a forum to promote healthy habits for healthy dreads. I believe it is a positive thing to question why interlocking is bad, I would myself like to know the exact mechanics of how it it causes breakage even though I have an idea in mind.However, it is quite widely accepted that root flipping is bad and there are many stories of peoples dreads breaking off because of it and other things like palm rolling. SE gave the information about it that he knows. At this point you either don't believe him and are still not willing to search for the information yourself, in that case do whatever you will...it's your hair. Or, you are trolling which would be cause for banning.....again from what SE said.If you can give proof that interlocking doesn't harm dreads and that it is actually useful in some way then please, do share your information.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well you know tyong a knot will cause it to breakl its alot like that althoughj the weakness compounds itselfok mechanics, your splitting the roots in 2, forcing a dread through the hole and oulling it out the other side, that twists the roots on either side of the gap a fill 180 degrees then theyy do it again on a right angle the hairs are under alot of torque tention they are unaturakly tight to the scalp so no dreading can happen cause they cant move to dreadadditionalt the torgue is constantly trying to untwist and cause the dread tio come vack out..they dont but the pressures there to untwistits really 1 of the 2 worse things u can possibly do to dreads..and its pointless since roots dread themselves if u alow them to..interlocking stops root dreadonmg and replaces it with root twisting and tentionmost ppl who do root flipping have reallt thin dreads too so the gap needed isnt so big..he has fat dreads so the gap needed to force a dread through is quit big..so the weakness logicly would be much greatter just due to the size of the gap

--
Lindsay Millan
@lindsay-millan
14 years ago
7 posts
I had a girl do them that I trust. We backcombed, and minimally used the crochet hook, and only Knotty Boy accelorator to initially do them. Although they look great, I am worried, because she interlocked my roots (and I didnt know any better at the time). She flipped them once to the side, then once top to bottom, creating a link. \Now that my dreads have been with me for 3 months, i worry about the part where she interlocked them. I wont go to her for maintenance now, knowing that she does interlocking.My roots are really bubbly, then it thins where the interlocked part is, and then the dreads are normal mid size dreads (i have thick hair, and i have 48 dreads).I can feel it more in the bigger fatter dreads , in the back on the underside of my hair.What can you reccomend when I do my first maintenance session? oh yes, and I am also at a bit of a loss of what to do. I am the only one of my friends with dreads, so I cannot maintain them myself...no one can help me. argh! so I am curious...if I COULD find people to help me, what is the best way to get rid of the loopy, bubbly roots? i see people with nice smooth roots...mine are not that way at all. Perhaps you could give me tips? use string when i have them maintained? Anubis said:
As a correction, this is a forum to promote healthy habits for healthy dreads. I believe it is a positive thing to question why interlocking is bad, I would myself like to know the exact mechanics of how it it causes breakage even though I have an idea in mind.

However, it is quite widely accepted that root flipping is bad and there are many stories of peoples dreads breaking off because of it and other things like palm rolling. SE gave the information about it that he knows. At this point you either don't believe him and are still not willing to search for the information yourself, in that case do whatever you will...it's your hair. Or, you are trolling which would be cause for banning.....again from what SE said.

If you can give proof that interlocking doesn't harm dreads and that it is actually useful in some way then please, do share your information.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
nothing your dreads are young thety go through a teen stage where they loop asnd lump and act crazy they will tighhten yp and the loops just become textureanything u do to remove bumps will only damage the dread..if it really is bad slip a bead or peyote stitcfh over itand "maintenance sessions" are unesacary only rippings really needed you already do more then u should (i know u have to cause your a lawyer) just palm roll (i dont recomend it but understanf u doing it) id recomend no more crochet just use aloe tp tidy up

--
Lindsay Millan
@lindsay-millan
14 years ago
7 posts
Thanks.I can stop crochet. Its really just a vanity thing for the firm anyways. I like them kinda wiley, actually...it makes the styling more fun!There is this woman, Helen Tpf Robinson (on facebook) who has the loveliest dreadies I have ever seen.and ps. what do you mean by "only rippings really needed"? ripping what? tips? you cant possibly mean roots...ps. your dreads are GORGEOUS. soaringeagle said:
nothing your dreads are young thety go through a teen stage where they loop asnd lump and act crazy they will tighhten yp and the loops just become texture
anything u do to remove bumps will only damage the dread..
if it really is bad slip a bead or peyote stitcfh over it
and "maintenance sessions" are unesacary only rippings really needed you already do more then u should (i know u have to cause your a lawyer) just palm roll (i dont recomend it but understanf u doing it) id recomend no more crochet just use aloe tp tidy up
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
seperating ripping aka popping just means seperating dreads that try combining at the rootsojn right theres a link ripping/piopping to seperate to prevent congosthe thi8ng abiout crochet is your breaking hairs everytime u do it these hairs then find theyre way our needing to be crocheted back in..year after year your still repairing the damage your doing buy crochet.. your making a low maintenanvce style into a very huigh maintenance one..ive hear d of people crochetting 15 hiurs a week every week even afyer 7 years ..and theyre dreads must be very weak by then

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh and thncx ive grown mine natural never did a thing except wash them and seperate them (actualy recently went almost 2 years without seperating so mant would combine)i worked in a conservative odffice too altho not as conservative as a law firm..they didnt care a bit as long as they were clean ..for some meetings id just tie em back to appear neatter thats all i ever did

--
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
By ripping he means separating them so they don't combine. Over any kind of maintenance I'd recommend wearing a wrap or tam. It can be done in a way that looks very professional. I will post some pics if I can find some of what I'm talking about.
Lindsay Millan
@lindsay-millan
14 years ago
7 posts
point taken...alright. maintenance out the window, then. aloe and separation it is. i love my aloe plant too...it makes sense, if you think about it. all the loose hairs that break will come out of the dread, and then you have to work to get them back in, when all you really need to do is be patient.they eventually go in, yah? soaringeagle said:
seperating ripping aka popping just means seperating dreads that try combining at the roots
ojn right theres a link ripping/piopping to seperate to prevent congos

the thi8ng abiout crochet is your breaking hairs everytime u do it these hairs then find theyre way our needing to be crocheted back in..year after year your still repairing the damage your doing buy crochet.. your making a low maintenanvce style into a very huigh maintenance one..ive hear d of people crochetting 15 hiurs a week every week even afyer 7 years ..and theyre dreads must be very weak by then

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form