Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just beginning my journey using tnr

mommafirefly
@mommafirefly
6 years ago
10 posts

Hi! I’m just beginning the process using the twist n rip method.
A little about my hair: I have super thick and long straight/wavy hair. I have been growing it out for over two years, and it reaches just below my tailbone.
A little about how I’ve prepared myself for this journey: I became interested in beginning dreads a little over two years ago. I began researching and started to allow my hair to reach a more natural state. I stopped coloring, conditioning and gradually cut back on washing. I’m currently able to go a little over a week before my hair begins to get oily. I haven’t used any styling products since that time as well.
I wanted to get off on the best foot possible and also allow myself time to decide if I was sure that this was a journey that I wanted to take. I haven’t changed my mind! So more than two years later; here I am!
I have some concern about how tight I should be making them. I’m only a few in, but they are very tight and hard. It’s also taking me an extremely long time for each! I know that my length will naturally cause the process to be much more time consuming, but I think I may be overdoing it. Should I be looking to achieve super tight out of the gate, or should I ease up a bit and be a little looser about it?
I’m so stoked to finally be beginning my journey, and any insight or help is super appreciated!

updated by @mommafirefly: 06/07/18 11:32:46AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

looser ones dread faster! make then just barely tight enough to survive a few washes  they do not need to e tight the tight ones will dread a lot slower

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
mommafirefly
@mommafirefly
6 years ago
10 posts

Aaha! Thank you @soaring-eagle! I was afraid that I was indeed doing it too tight. Thankfully Im not too far in. I think ill continue along a little more gently, and probably come back an attempt loosening or starting over on the first few. 

Your dreads are AMAZING! by the way!! 😍

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

just went camping at a rainbow gathering for a couple weeks thats all it took in fact the gatherings starting in just a matter of weeks  you should go and let t dread while there ;:)

--
mommafirefly
@mommafirefly
6 years ago
10 posts

I just noticed you’re in Philly! Im about an hour east of Pittsburgh! Where/when is the festival?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

well its not a festival its something completely unique

well where is southern apalachia virginia both Carolinas and Georgia in any of the national forests there. the spring council starts june 8th they decide on the exact location  (scouts have been scouting all year) seed camp begins the day we reach consensus typicaly between 12th and 15th though could be sooner. wherever spring council is the most likely sites are within 100 miles..usually...Georgia is somewhat epected

seed camp runs up to july 1st which is 1st official gathering day  the 4th is our 'interdependence) not independence day we celebrate in silence not with explosions  7th is last official day of the gathering  then vision council (to pick net years region) and cleanup begins. cleanup runs into august with the last microtrash folks leaving just before the snow.

{jrYouTube_embed} invalid value received for "youtube_id" parameter ()

gatherings are far far more then just a festival they are lifechanging and you carry it with you throughout the year..and for life

--
mommafirefly
@mommafirefly
6 years ago
10 posts

Oh that looks amazing! I adore everything about it! I wanna meet the fam! Definitely want to make it to one sometime! Any insight on location for next year? I wish I could make it this year, but I’m hosting a photography workshop in the Pocconos/Ricketts Glen area in July and have scouting trips planned in the meantime. This just sounds like such a wonderful time full of happiness and love! ✌️💛🌈

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

next year will certainly be either central or west coast

theres regionals all year a lot smaller more intimate  but some are a lot better then others if i can only do 1 a year its the big 1 though

when in july its close enough you maybe can make it back in time/

--
mommafirefly
@mommafirefly
6 years ago
10 posts
The workshop isn’t until mid July, but unfortunately my schedule is crazy leading up to our workshop. Lots of work to be done in preparation. We will be heading up to scout shoot locations and finalize details 6/25-7/8. This is the website for our workshop www.therunningwild.com I’ve been wanting to get out West, so that would be amazing if it were to be out that way next year! I’ll definitely be looking to follow what they’re up to!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

if you want to go to work cleanups worth going to..you miss the gathering but kinda don't at the same time. but people who go for cleanup, go to work and thats the primary focus. returning it to a natural state .

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form